Canning Tomatoes

 

Since we have been completely out of spaghetti sauce, which my two kids go through at a rapid pace, canning some more of that was the first order of business. Awhile back, Leigh from 5acresandadream made a post about canning tomatoes that influenced me to change things up a bit. For many years, I have scalded off the skins and chunked up the tomatoes to cook down and then used a stick blender to puree them before canning. This method has worked well though my back always aches from leaning over the sink for hours at a time peeling skin and cutting out defects from very hot tomatoes. The seeds while not attractive, really have never bothered me. 

Leigh's method, and the one my mom used to use when I was little, is to simply cut out the defects while the tomatoes are raw and then cook them down and use a food mill to separate the skin and seeds from the pulp. I even had an old food mill that I have been carting around for years but have never used.


I found my food mill, very similar to the one above and got to work. I was quickly reminded how much work it is to use it especially when one is processing approximately 20 gallons of tomatoes. But after having completed the task, I do think it is easier than blanching and skinning the tomatoes and certainly reduces the number of pots and burners in use when processing tomatoes. The resulting skinless and seedless puree is a sight to behold. Another benefit is that by not blanching tomatoes first, less water gets introduced into them and so the cooking down process later to remove excess water is much reduced. This year I also mainly used paste tomatoes which contain less water further reducing down that process. Still, I got to thinking about a motorized alternative and after a quick google search, found that many exist and so I have ordered a cheaper one just to try out and see how well it works. Hopefully it will arrive before our next picking of tomatoes.


When we remodeled our kitchen before Covid, canning was very much in our minds during the design process. Gone was the microwave above the stovetop that didn't allow me to easily place jars into and out of tall canners. In was a pot filler to allow me to easily top off large pots without carrying the heavy pots over to the sink all the time. Also in was a larger stove top that could hold more pots and heat them quickly and a heavy duty exhaust hood that could easily remove the excess steam and heat. Above on the left is my canner which I've had for probably 20 years or more. On the right is my mom's old canner. Both work well though my mom's canner is definitely more expensive and better quality since it doesn't rely on a rubber gasket to keep in the pressure like mine does. But I keep my seal oiled and have yet to blow one in all these years... knock on wood. I don't use both canners very often but with this batch and having 54 jars waiting to be canned, it was worth the effort to lug the second one up from the basement storage shelf.

After cooking down the tomatoes most of the way, I added the onions, green peppers and the rest of the ingredients to it and then simmered for another hour before canning. I find canning tomato sauces much easier than fruits or vegetables with lots of liquid because I don't have issues with siphoning. I still have issues with my wide mouth jars putting the lid rings on at the right pressure to allow pressure to escape and yet not leak, but I'm getting better all the time. I only had a handful of lids buckle up from the pressure but they all went ahead and sealed. I ended up with 45 pints of spaghetti sauce this batch and I cooked down a crockpot of it to make 9 half pints of tomato paste. Next time, I am going to cook down the tomatoes first to the point of making sauce before adding them to the crockpot so that I can get more paste for all that effort. (Took about 30 hours of crockpot time this time around to make those 9 jars of paste.) I would like to reduce that time by half and get a lot more jars. 

This was my first big batch of tomatoes. I hope to do a couple more yet this year. I want to do another large batch of spaghetti sauce and one of pizza sauce, our two biggest uses for tomato products as well as quite a bit more paste. I may make a batch of tomato soup too as we really enjoy that on cold winter days. Today's project is to rearrange our canning storage shelves in the basement to get an inventory of what we have and what is needed so we can make sure we have plenty before starting to give away all our excess tomatoes instead of canning them all. 

Comments

  1. Look at all those beautiful jars!! I'm impressed. I use to pickle a lot of squash and blanch and freeze peas, and I still occasionally make jelly and pickle onions, but I never really canned stuff. And I've never owned (or used) a food mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for tomatoes, I never use a food mill either. But I might later this year making apple jelly. I'll have to do some research on the matter before then.

      For just two people, I probably wouldn't can much either. It would probably be easier to just freeze and cook as needed.

      Delete
  2. Home-canned food always looks so beautiful, all lined up in its glass jars. I remember going into the cellar of a neighbor at our family's summer place in West Virginia, many years ago, and all her canned produce was such a colorful sight! (It looked amazing to me, since my mom and dad never canned a thing in their lives.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote a blog to publish in a couple week with a picture of our canning shelves, jars lined up all colorful and organized.

      Delete
  3. How I admire those who can! The product is so much fresher and controlled by you rather than a big company. If I ever get back to your town, I would like to request some spaghetti or a pizza made from this sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop by and although I may not cook it for you, you are welcome to take some with you back to Washington!

      Delete
  4. Wow. Great job. It must be very satisfying to see those jars all lined up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It makes all the bad memories of forever weeding in the spring disappear.

      Delete
  5. They're gorgeous! Well done, Ed. Beautiful color too, for the sauce. And good for you for redesigning your kitchen with food preservation in mind. Home grown and home preserved always tastes best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so for most things anyway. I'm still not convinced on the tomato paste. I think the store bought has more flavor and is certainly way cheaper but my wife likes the organic aspect of homemade and so I continue to make it.

      Delete
  6. I thought of doing this once, but I simply canned the idea.
    (No, I never really thought of doing it, but I had to try to make the dad joke work.)
    🤡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now your dad joke will be "preserved" forever!

      Delete
  7. I have a similar food mill, but it is a older one that has a screen all around, I use it for tomatoes when I make soup or last year to make up tomato sauce to freeze. My yellow tomatoes make the best sauce for vegetable soup:) You have the perfect set up for canning. Lots of people around here have an extra stove in their garage just for canning time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now with the heat index up around 115 F, I'm not sure canning on a stove in the garage is where I want to be!

      Delete
  8. Well done Ed. To my mind not deal with the skins twice makes a great deal of sense. Although (as usual) there are no tomatoes this year, I may try some with store bought tomatoes just to give it a whirl (Insert food mill joke here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished we lived a bit closer. I could set you up with all the tomatoes you cared to have right now!

      Delete
  9. I tend to can salsa and tomato soup (spaghetti sauce is cheap), but don't do nearly that many jars. I generally take Wednesday's off and will be doing my first batch of tomatoes today. Last year, we brought a food mill and it does make the process go quicker. I still do most of my canning outside as it doesn't heat up the house and I have big burners on a camp stove attached to a propane tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably everything I can be bought much cheaper if one adds a decent price to my labor but I like the thought of no preservatives. I also like the taste better too.

      Delete
  10. BTW, I don' t have a large enough pressure cooker, so I use a water bath, but will have to have tomato products in the boiling bath for 45 minutes, which limits my production. -Jeff (https://fromarockyhillside.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a pressure canner certainly does speed up the process.

      Delete

Post a Comment