Paying Respect and Catching Crabs

During the planning stages of the trip, I realized that if we were going to be in Washington D.C., we were really close to a cousin of my wife and brother-in-law who lives in southeast Virginia. That cousin in the mother of the girl who committed suicide last year that I blogged about. Because my brother-in-law hadn't seen his cousin since they were children, we thought it would be nice to have a reunion and to pay our respects to her daughter, the very one whom I planted those apple trees in memory of recently. Above is the backyard of that girl's older brother where we spent three nights while he graciously stayed in his old room at his mom's house. The lake in the background is the results from excavations to build a raised entryway to a large bridge nearby. It was a beautiful place to rest and recuperate from many day son the road or in very crowded neighborhoods. 

On one of our days there, we visited the grave of the daughter, buried next to her military father who died way to young of cancer. The rows upon rows of stones of a military cemetery never fail to humble me with all the people who died so I could live with the freedoms I have today. 

We drove to nearby Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on a lark because of it's importance in airplane flight but when we found out the park honoring the Wright brothers was charging $10/person just to enter, we drove to another nearby park that was free, in price and of people, and had a nice picnic lunch. On our way back into SE Virginia, we stopped at a beach to let everyone relax a bit. My wife's cousin and family brought food to us there for a nice supper and then invited us to stay and go crab fishing with them when the sun disappeared. Not knowing what to expect, we accepted the invitation.

I have seen plenty of crab caught on the show Deadliest Catch, but never from a seaside beach. They showed us how to tie a raw chicken leg onto a piece of string and wade out into the water about chest deep and drop the chicken to the ocean floor. When you felt a tug, you pulled up the chicken leg attached to the string with a crab now hanging onto the chicken leg and then deposited the crab into a hand net which we then could safely carry to shore and deposit in a large cooler. Above are the 20 crabs we caught in about 90 minutes time using this method. This was the highlight of the entire trip for me.



The next day, the cousin cooked up a large crab boil with those caught crabs and we ate until our stomachs were tight as a drum.  That evening, we had a loud party with more food and all the first and second cousins enjoying it in the backyard seen at the top of this post. I didn't attend it. I was still full from the crab boil and we were all ready to quit the life on the road we had been living for two weeks and get back home. So with a very early departure planned and me doing all the driving, I went to bed early.

The next morning I got everyone up and into the van and hit the road, not sure how far I could or would make it before calling it a night. Fortunately, everyone was willing to suffer a bit and I got into a groove and some 17 hours later, I pulled the van into my own driveway back in Iowa and after unpacking the essentials, we all went eagerly to bed on stationary objects. 

Comments

  1. 17 hours. My hips ache just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took ibuprofen first thing in the morning and once more at lunch to preempt the pain. That worked well!

      Delete
  2. How nice to have some peaceful and meaningful family time! In the midst of traveling, it's relaxing to do more normal things. There's a lot of crabbing done here (not by me) and it seems like they have to check the sex of the crab by the design on its belly. If it's female, they can't keep it. Perhaps that's just the kind of crab we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We caught a few females with large heads egg sacs on their abdomens and threw hem back. Other than that which was obvious, left the legalities of everything to our host.

      Delete
  3. Looks like the crawfish boils they have here, only ours include little red potatoes, too. I'll pass on both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had crawfish before but it isn’t my favorite. The ones I ate were really muddy in flavor.

      Delete
  4. That crab dinner! Wow! And 17 hours of driving? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely looking backyard and great beach, Ed.

    Having made my own long drives from Old Home to New Home and back again, nothing but respect for a 17 hour drive. I will keep the pre-game idea in mind next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I have too many more such drives in me. They are a young man’s game.

      Delete
  6. That was a long driving day. That crab boil looks great, I did not know that is how you fish for crab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not be THE way but it was A way.

      Delete
  7. Gads. I left my house at 6:30 Friday morning, and returned back home by supper. I could barely unfold myself from the car. !7 hours? Eep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love crab! That is just amazing. But Ed, 17 hours?!? I can't even wrap my head around that. You have incredible stamina. Wow! I can't wait to tell Art about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An incredible desire to sleep in my own bed.

      Delete
  9. What a great finale to your trip. I recall going crabbing once when I lived in Louisiana. It was a great experience and, of course, good eats. You managed a wonderfully memorable trip for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly makes me a bit envious of those who live near an ocean and can do such things.

      Delete
  10. What a great trip you had. I've been crabbing, but it's been many years. They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly ate my fair share of the crab boil!

      Delete

Post a Comment