Garden Check Upon Our Return

The day we left for our vacation, the area where our garden resides was labeled as being in extreme drought, the highest rating given out. Frankly, I wasn't sure much would be left of it after being gone for nearly 18 days at that point. But a couple of inches of blessed rain had fallen in our absence and it was looking quite good.  Above is a row of potatoes and another one of cabbage. The weedy spot to the left had been home to another row of potatoes and a row of onions. My brother-in-law had been wanting to harvest something so I told him to dig up a few potatoes and onions. While I was mowing the grass around all the fruit trees, he dug up an entire row of potatoes and all the onions. All were still lush and green on top and could have grown a lot more but weren't given the chance. My wife, still new to gardening, wasn't aware of this either and so didn't intervene. Thus out of an entire row of potatoes and an entire row of onions, we got one small basket of each. We still have another row of potatoes, the expensive ones from Row 7 that didn't get dug up so I'm not too upset at the loss. We hopefully will still have more than we can eat. This was our first year of raising onions since we retook up gardening and no salsa is being planned, so the loss of them prematurely isn't a big loss either. 

The tomato plants took over during our absence and are all way too big to stake so we will just let them grow as they wish this year. The earliest tomatoes have lots of green fruit and the later ones are full of blossoms so I'm hoping we will get a lot to can this year as we haven't canned tomatoes in a few years. We are short on nearly everything but salsa.


The one real disappointment was the old peach tree from our wedding orchard, full of peached for the first time in many years. Heavy winds and a weak spot in the trunk blew it over. It isn't snapped and there is plenty of bark on the underneath side of the week spot so I'm still hoping it will survive this year until the peaches, about the side of large golf balls, are ripe enough to pick. But I'm guessing the ravages of winter will kill it off even if it survives that long. I will be sad to see it go. There is another snag of a peach tree, in much worse shape and one apple tree, in decent shape that remains of the orchard we planted on the day after our wedding.

We planted some Asian cucumbers and a smaller American variety for pickling this year under our arched trellis. They had a half basket of cucumbers more than ready to pick when we checked on them. My wife is trying to train them to climb up the trellis but I have my doubts. Also is one of a few small cabbages that we picked.

Later, while our guests were otherwise occupied, I quickly turned what cucumbers we hadn't already eaten fresh into sweet pickles for our pantry. My mom always used to make sweet pickles and this was my first attempt at canning some. They are now melding and doing their thing on the canning shelves in the basement with more to join their ranks in the coming weeks. I hope to make some kosher dills out of some of them too. 


 

Comments

  1. All that mulch on your garden makes my heart happy! Everything looks pretty good in spite of being mostly rain challenged. Pity about the peach tree though. The pickles look really good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mulch is great though somewhat expensive since we bought it in square bale form this year because we new the source and that it would be weed free. I hope to start working it into our new garden maybe later this fall to build up organics there.

      Delete
  2. The garden appears to have done well in your absence, but that poor tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew its days were numbered many years ago. It is ancient for a peach tree in our area.

      Delete
  3. That tree looks sad and I hope you still get your peaches. We had a couple of recent storms with high winds. I saw the top get snappped out of a huge tree and it blew down our internet satellite (which was on a pole, not the roof).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is three weeks later now and they are still getting more reddish in color but still rock hard. The leaves are still green and lush so I'm still optimistic that we will get something out of this peach tree this year. Next year is up for grabs though.

      Delete
  4. I love cucumbers and dill pickles but not sweet. I hope the peach tree survives; there is nearly no fruit as delicious as a fresh peach. I'm glad so much survived! I too would dig up things incorrectly which is why I left the gardening (of veggies) to my late husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet pickles have their place in my diet. The really go well with a savory dish with a lot of spice.

      Delete
  5. Minus the early harvest and potential peach tree loss, everything looks good, Ed. Bummer about the tree. I hope it can make it through the winter and come back strong next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve thought about trying to straighten and supporting it somehow after harvest if I can come up with a way.

      Delete
  6. You make very good use of the produce by canning and pickling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think about gardening as kind of a cute and practical idea but I know there's a lot of hard work involved. Sorry to see you're having some challenges right now. Too bad that happened to the peach tree too. I love peaches! And I love the idea of having a wedding orchard. Isn't that romantic?

    Are you able to "fix" the tree? What's the hardest to grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. I used to hate gardening as a child but as an adult, I have grown to like it, especially the preserving part of it. I love seeing my shelves full of food to use all winter long. My wife loves the gardening part of it but not preserving so together, we make a good team.

      I always wanted my own orchard and have always loved planting trees so it seemed like the thing to do instead of spending money on gifts for wedding guests that aren't really needed or wanted. For the last 19 years, picking fruit there has always reminded me of our wedding day.

      I'm not sure how far back you've read, but we are in the process of transferring our garden area and starting a new orchard. Thus I might try an easy solution to save the peach tree but won't extend it extreme measures. This far north, peach trees are short lived, maybe 10 to 15 years old at most and this one is now 19. We really just buy fruit trees as they go on sale towards the end of the season and give them minimal care after that. We lose a few but most survive. I would guess peach trees are the hardest to grow as they are pushing the range at which they thrive here.

      Delete
    2. P.S. My wife if Filipino as well, born in Baguio City.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I'm really impressed that your garden survived so well while you were gone. I'm even more impressed with all that you're able to can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulch really helps a garden survive absences. Years ago I had a picture on a blog post of my canned goods storage. I lost track of how many jars it can hold but probably somewhere around 500+. We go through a lot of it being a family of five.

      Delete

Post a Comment