Blessing In Disquise

 

Back in the planning stages of this road trip when I was looking for stops to break up the driving, Niagara Falls crossed my mind, We had stopped the four years earlier for the first time and though enjoyed it, really didn't think I would ever return. But I thought my brother-in-law and his family would and so I worked it into our schedule. As you can see from the picture above, we did make it and my brother-in-law and family, mother-in-law and sister, and my two kids all got to ride the boat from the U.S side this time (prior time had been from the Canadian side) into the horseshoe of the falls. I probably would have ridden again but my wife had no interest in repeating the boat ride and as it turned out, I had business to attend too.

Initially we had planned to see some relatives from my wife's side of the family and so had gotten a VRBO rental for two nights in nearby Buffalo. It was fully paid for a booked but I hadn't heard anything from the owner and while in Toledo, sent out a message just making sure everything was okay since we would be checking into it in less than 20 hours at that point. I got a response right back saying that it had been cancelled a long time ago and my money had been refunded. This was contradictory to the VRBO check-in email I had just received earlier that day saying that everything was a go and I double checked and indeed had NOT been refunded a dime. 

I made a call to VRBO who immediately called the owner of the rental who was now unresponsive two minutes after sending me that text. VRBO was very helpful and offered to find us an equivalent rental but couldn't really do much but force the cancellation of the rental and make sure we got full refunds. We got our refund but declined the offer to find another VRBO to house us on short notice. I made sure to give an appropriate review on the still active rental on the VRBO site and the unresponsive owner who cancelled on us without letting us know, immediately gave me a bad customer review. I'm guessing I could clear that with VRBO since I was never his customer but since this was my first VRBO experience and probably the last for a long time, I haven't yet at this point. 

We ended up renting a couple motel rooms for the night. The relatives of my wife couldn't make the crossing over from Canada where they live because their passports were expired and my brother-in-law and family were here on U.S. Visas and didn't have Canadian ones so we really didn't need the extra day anymore in Buffalo. Also, we got hard to get tickets to another site along the coast that were going to require us to leave at around 1 in the morning had our VRBO rental not been cancelled. With no VRBO to worry about, we were free to head out a day early and have plenty of time to use those tickets the following day. But more about that later.

One more story before I stop. 

On our way to Niagara Falls, the confusing road signs, heavy traffic and a confusing GPS direction led me to make a wrong turn, heading directly to the Canadian border. Had I not panicked, I might have seen a narrow turn off right before we passed by the U.S. border inspections where I could have corrected this mistake but I didn't. Instead, I had to do a u-turn and then end up in a long line of traffic waiting to cross through the U.S. border patrol inspections. Three of us didn't have passports since we hadn't planned on going to Canada and the rest didn't have a Visa for Canada. I wasn't quite sure what was in store for us. Finally about an hour later, we pulled up to the U.S. border patrol agent and pled our case. He took it in stride so it must happen often. He verified the passports of all those with them and was able to look up their U.S. Visas on his computer. Since the other three of us without passports, had passports back home, he was able to look those up with our ID's and twenty minutes later, we were released back to U.S. soil. We eventually made it to the Falls after several more wrong turns, but this time, not leaving the country illegally.

Comments

  1. I used to live in a border town when crossing the border both ways was a snap. 911 and the Gulf War changed that because ... you know, Canada, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, crossing the border has been a long tedious affair for a long time now. The only exception to this was when I crossed into Canada from the backwoods of Maine four years ago. There was not a single car in line ahead of us on that lonely two lane road.

      Delete
  2. We have some condos in a resort area that are listed through VRBO (and AirBnB). Our older daughter manages them and bends over backwards to keep her five star rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time actually renting though I have stayed in a few others have rented. All have been well oiled affairs with no problems... until this one. Hopefully it will be the last too.

      Delete
  3. At the end of the day, glad it all worked out for you. And, it gave you something to post about, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never a shortage of posting material in my world!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I'd go that route for accommodations these days; yours is not the first horror story I've heard. The trip sounds full of adventures which is how it should be. They are stories to reminisce about. "Remember the time we tried to illegally enter Canada?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I wouldn't but with 11 people, it seemed like a good option and I still probably is. The big lesson I learned is that I should check reviews of the places before renting. The one that stiffed me was a brand new listing and had no reviews.

      Delete
  5. Ed, we have rented through Air BNB and to date have not had a bad experience. That sounds utterly awful - although good for VRBO for at least trying to make it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Air BNB has a bit better reputation but from what I saw when scanning their website back when researching this, they didn't cater to larger groups like VRBO. Air BNB seemed to be mostly rooms in a house where as VRBO was the entire house.

      Delete
  6. I went to Niagara years ago but never did the boat ride. I was happy enough seeing the falls from land! What on earth did that owner say in his bad review of you?! Yeah, I think you could get that removed if you want to pursue it. I've never done a VRBO. I'm a hotel person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have researched, they cannot add any words when reviewing customers, only star ratings. Those ratings can also only be seen by other hosts which I guess makes sense. I myself can't see my overall rating. I just got an email from VRBO informing me of the review.

      I'm a hotel person myself too. But as stated above, 11 people makes this sort of a exception to just about every rule of mine.

      Delete
  7. Good to hear that you got taken care of by VRBO and the border guards. It could have been an unpleasant experience otherwise. Would you recommend Buffalo? I have been intrigued to visit but I need to hear from my brother from another mother. We are experiencing some rental issues with Expedia right now. A lot of not giving a crap and passing the buck going on. Not a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't offer an opinion on Buffalo as our two day stay was reduced to zero days. We went directly to Niagara Falls and then stayed the night in Williamsville, a far eastern suburb before heading towards Washington D.C. Thus far, I have only had good luck with Expedia but have only done motels, airplanes and rental cars through them.

      Delete
  8. I remember that boat ride when I was a kid. I remember the wax museum too. Sounds like yours was a more interesting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had planned for an entire day in the Niagara Falls area to explore but it didn't work out this trip.

      Delete
  9. You are very lucky you did not wind up in a Canadian gulag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't quite get that far, so at worst, we would have been in the American gulag. That probably meant cable television, exercise room and three hot meals a day. Not bad as long as I didn't drop the soap.

      Delete
  10. Went to Niagara Falls in 2015. Falls were definitely worth seeing, but found the immediately surrounding area pretty gross. We enjoyed Niagara Lake, a few miles out and much calmer. Also drove from the Falls to Toronto and enjoyed the wineries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During our trip to the Canadian side in 2019, we walked around a bit and it did feel a bit like a circus sideshow with everyone trying to fleece tourists out of their money. This trip, due to the circumstances, I didn't have time to walk around on the American side but judging from the amount of people roaming around, I have no doubt it was similar.

      Delete

Post a Comment