Finally

 


Sad to say this next sentence but due to the state of things I must. LONG TIME READERS may remember that late last summer, we decided we should do something about vehicles. Our oldest is a driver and will be going away to college about a year from now and will need some form of transportation. My wife's vehicle, which is the oldest vehicle of ours, has relatively low miles and was an excellent candidate for this. But it required us obtaining another primary vehicle for my wife. With lead times back them being estimated at 18 months to 2 years due to the chip shortage, we put our name on a waitlist for one.

Nine months go by without hearing a peep. We were number one on the waitlist for a RAV4 Prime which has a plug in option as well as standard hybrid mode, but apparently, Toyota wasn't making any of those and perhaps still isn't. At least they aren't shipping any of them to rural Iowa. So after talking it over, we decided to broaden our horizons and get on the waiting list for the Hybrid model which while still efficient and nearly $10,000 cheaper, doesn't really have an all electric mode or alternative fuel option, i.e. electricity plug in. Just a day later after the broadening, we get a call from the dealer that they have a Hybrid on a boat with their name on it and nobody on a waiting list for one. It is ours if we want it and we had a day to decide. 

My wife was unfortunately flying to the west coast that day but eventually I caught up with her via phone at an airport before time ran out and after a brief discussion, we decided to go ahead and make it ours and put a security deposit down on it. We were told that in another month or two, it would arrive off that slow boat from Japan and make it's way to rural Iowa. 

That day came about a week ago. It looks exactly like the one at the top of this post, Blizzard Pearl color included. While I wasn't exactly thrilled with the color, blog readers assured me it isn't bad and indeed, it has grown on me. We are still figuring out how to sync phones, personalize screen choices, etc., but I think we made the right call. Just looking at the distant to empty listed as over 500+ miles makes me happy. My oldest daughter is also really happy and spent a day cleaning out my wife's old vehicle and doing some personalization of her own.

I'm glad this long experience is over and really hope that by the time we have to get our next vehicle, all this will be resolved.

Comments

  1. I do recall that, and I continue to wait for my printer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! To ALL of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of like winning the lottery if not for writing a large check.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the wait was worth it, and glad that nothing went wrong in the meantime. In the UK Toyota has a strong reputation for long term reliability so hopefully you're set up now for a while to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about their reliability.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful car! Congratulations on finally getting it and beginning the process of learning the gadgetry. I still don't know everything about my Forester. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably never learn everything about this one either.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I used to only buy used cars but once we finally got a new one from a dealership, it was game over. That peace of mind of having a brand new warranty as well as that spanking clean smell is one of life's pleasures - even though we pay the price for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We compensate by driving them long after others have traded their used ones off.

      Delete
  6. Hope the car goes faster than that slow boat from Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife has a lead foot so I hope not.

      Delete
  7. Yeah! You finally got it! Patience is a virtue or so I am told:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got the car (FINALLY). I didn't realize there was still such a lag time for new vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a perfect world, mass transportation would be similar to what they have in London, without all the strikes.

      Delete
  9. I hope it all works out and glad that our last car only required a month wait! -Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that things will return to normal by the time we need to replace another vehicle.

      Delete
  10. I know it's a huge relief to put all this behind you. I'm so glad it worked out well and that you're happy with the new car.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment