Extremely Dry Post About Our Garden


As we entered our third month without any measurable rainfall, we decided we had to take drastic measures. Instead of carrying bucket after bucket of water, we gathered every garden hose on the farm and strung out a country mile of it from the spigot to the garden. While my girls gave each and every plant a thorough soaking, I mowed the grass in the orchard and hauled many bales of straw from a barn to the garden. We then mulched everything in hopes of retaining some of that moisture for a bit longer and to help prevent blight on the tomatoes. Above, the unmulched portion of the garden is where our current pea crop and defunct carrot crop that never germinated grow. We will probably pick the peas our next time down and then plant a couple squash plants, so my wife says. She is the garden planner in chief and I'm the cheap labor.

Above is about a million tomato, cabbage, kohlrabi, pepper and other plants growing. They were all looking pretty good before we mulched everything but are now hidden somewhat. I'm sure in a week or two, it will be much prettier looking. It will look especially pretty when I no longer have to water anything anymore.

One more picture for Steve of our asparagus bed now fully bolted. The tallest parts are probably a good eight feet tall now.  Not pictured, because I was too tired to walk over their again, is our peach and apple trees which are loaded full of fruit again. We are talking about thinning out some of the peaches as I've read that will make the rest bigger and sweeter. Our berry patch is really looking good thus far too. 

Comments

  1. I bit the bullet and bought 300' of poly pipe from Menards. It cost about $60. I would have purchased longer but the stuff likes to kink. 3/4" diameter does not have a lot of friction losses. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pipe-fittings/polypipe-fittings/3-4-100-psi-irrigation-poly-pipe/91130/p-1444431569672-c-8570.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, there isn't a route from hydrant to garden that doesn't cross an active gravel path over which heavy farm machinery drives quite often so this isn't a practical solution in our case. When we eventually move our garden to behind our current house, this may be just what the doctor ordered.

      Delete
  2. That was a productive day!! Things were really starting to dry out here, then we had storms yesterday and last night, dumping almost 3.5" of rain. More predicted tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week we received about a third of an inch over several days. Not nearly enough to even notice it had rained other than my deck was damp.

      Delete
  3. That is so darn dry. I hope it changes soon. We’ve just had couple of days of much needed rain, so hopefully there will be no more fires — not locally, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be the rain dance I asked you to do!

      Delete
  4. What a lot of work but the payoff will be worth it! It will be great to have your garden closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're dry here too, but not THAT dry. Good job on the garden rescue! That asparagus is crazy. I had no idea asparagus would get that big and unruly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like a hedgerow until we burn it in late winter.

      Delete
  6. SO much work for you - but so worth the results during harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvest preservation is hard work too but at least it is in an air conditioned house.

      Delete
  7. I look forward to seeing pictures of everything growing and, eventually, your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That asparagus is amazing. How old is that bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not positive but I’m guessing at least 15 years old, possibly close to 20.

      Delete
  9. If there was ever a motivator to move the garden closer to home, this is it! Lots of work but we do what we have to do. It's especially nice that it's a family project. I think besides growing food, you're passing on good values to your girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don’t appreciate it at all. But when I was their age, I was exactly the same. So there is still hope.

      Delete
  10. I didn't realize how dry things were for you all in the Midwest. My dad was just telling me how it has been drought-like in central Illinois as well. I hope the soaking helps out the garden and some rain heads your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’re lucky in the sense that it has been just a few months. Other places in western Iowa and central Illinois are going on two or three years in severe drought.

      Delete

Post a Comment