Bluebirds: Another Chance?


I ordered and received a raccoon baffle which is the black thing in the above picture. It supposedly prevents raccoons from being able to climb up to the bird house and rob me of bluebirds. I also took the time to put metal strapping across the back to hold the bird house firmly on the post and prevent it from being drug down to lower heights or rotate in the wind. Hopefully this will solve our problems we've had the last couple years.

Thirty minutes after I hung it up, I saw a female bluebird (I think as they are mostly brown) fly over and check it out. It actually went inside for a minute before flying off again. Our neighbor who owns the birdhouse and who had bluebirds the same age as ours, had his fledge and already has another nest built in his with two eggs as of writing this. Maybe we too can also get another batch of bluebirds this season, this time successfully fledged. 

The only thing I am worries is that I drove the post a little deep and so the birdhouse is perhaps six inches closer to the ground than previously. It is 36 inches from the bottom edge of the birdhouse to the ground. How high can a large raccoon reach? 

I think I got my answer the following day when I discovered racoon paw prints all over the base of the racoon baffle. I'm not sure where they got the mud to apply to their paws and then to the baffle as it is terribly dry around here. But I am certain they weren't able to climb the baffle, at least not last night.



Comments

  1. The paw prints do seem to stop, so that is positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is but as of yet, the birdhouse is still uninhabited. The bluebird I saw checking it out didn't stay or at least didn't inform me about a future reservation.

      Delete
  2. I will be curious to see how this works out. I once went to my mother's house and her metal handled Libman Wonder Broom was twisted and mangled. "Good Lord! What happened to your broom????' A 70 year old woman sailed out of the house all in a temper in the middle of the night to smack a raccoon off the bird feeder. I said, "Gee, Ma, you might want to be careful there. Raccoons can be awful mean..." Maybe you need to borrow an old lady with a broom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a broom handy, I would have tried smacking the coon with it too when he was munching on my bluebirds!

      Delete
  3. I hope it works as well as it appears to so far! And that you get more bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works too. I sure hope it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be fantastic if it works! Hopefully, the bluebirds will cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They haven't yet and may not this year. But hopefully next spring.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the update Ed! That is a good initial sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw another bluebird checking it out an hour ago. There is still hope.

      Delete
  7. I hope it keeps the raccoons away! I know you'll keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad that the raccoon(s) raided that sweet nest. You will be the builder that beats them. I hope they get so frustrated that they leave for good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It appears that you may have beaten the little buggers. Good luck with your blue birds!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment