Tiny Home

Tiny home in the style of Salvador Dali

For those of you who might have noticed my absent during the first half of the week, I have an excuse. I was helping someone build a tiny home. Well actually we just formed up and poured the foundation for one. Although we are calling it a tiny home, it is more like a small cabin and will be around sixteen feet by 24 feet. 

It is being built on an old farm site that has long ago been razed and cleaned up but there is still water and electrical hookups nearby. It is on a small hill with rolling hills in about every direction you look.

We spent on evening staking out the perimeter and then a couple days forming up for the concrete, digging a footing, reinforcing everything and finally a morning pouring the concrete itself. It would have been fairly pleasant work had not the wind been blowing 40+ miles an hour THE ENTIRE TIME!

Have you read about old settlers on the plains who were driven insane by the wind? I can now understand why. At one point, we had to put 10 feet wide by 28 feet long pieces of plastic down to act as a moisture barrier underneath the concrete. In 40 mile per hour winds, it was like trying to hold a sheet of plywood down in a hurricane. But eventually we got it all down and held in place.

Now it will sit for a month to cure why the owner attends other things. Later this summer, I may help out on actually building the structure. That is the fun part for me though it will be much hotter, and hopefully a bit calmer. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a very fun project. Those winds though! I've been thinking our 10 MPH winds are too much! I seem to recall reading an account of early plains settlers who complained that the wind never stopped blowing. Maybe that's why I prefer trees and mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is surrounded by trees so I rarely notice the wind but this tiny home doesn't have any nearby trees in the direction of the prevailing winds.

      Delete
  2. That sounds amazing Ed. Hopefully the owner will give you permission to post pictures.

    One reads of the tearing winds in the literature of the time. I can imagine it would drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do when it gets to that point.

      Delete
  3. Cool idea. this is much bigger than the house I was born in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it wasn't all that uncommon to be born in a smaller house in those days. House sizing has really increased dramatically.

      Delete
  4. Where are you getting the pictures? AI?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been fascinated by the concept of those tiny homes, especially the ones that have solar panels. Wind is another one of those things for which I have a lot of respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is at the site of an old farm so will have access to the electrical grid. But I think if one was planning on living in one long enough full time, solar panels would be a great option.

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures in the style of; I could spend (waste?) a lot of time over there. Is it windy where you live or was this far away? It wasn't like that when I visited your town. It was HOT. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't too far away. It was windy everywhere but my house is surrounded by trees so it is a little less noticeable except for the violently swaying tree tops.

      Delete
  7. We are having a blustery day here in Honolulu today. I can imagine how you struggled with the plastic sheet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like wrestling an angry anaconda to dress it up in doll's clothes.

      Delete
  8. We were trying to put housewrap on in the wind. Totally understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be even worse since it is harder to spread yourself out to hold it against the wall!

      Delete
  9. You are a pretty swell guy, Ed. Bummer about the winds. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Shife! I have never been called swell in my life but I'll take it.

      Delete
  10. I can't imagine being driven insane by wind. I love wind. But then, I've never lived on the plains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of it but after eight hours of having to brace myself standing up in it, it gets old.

      Delete
  11. Great job. Tiny homes have really caught on and it's incredible how folks maximize the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly see a lot of them around these days.

      Delete
  12. I'll be interesting to see what this ends up as when finished. I normally like wind, but not when it's too high. 15-20 seems to be a nice range. I can remember times in Utah when I hated it after days of high winds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure of the speed, but several times I had to take a step in order to not fall over with a strong gust. That is just too much wind for my liking.

      Delete
  13. Whoever this someone is, he or she is SUPER lucky to have you helping them. I wish you lived next door. We're now planning to do a renovation on our house for my mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment