Swearing Over Spilt Milk


Due to a timely seasonal cold, I didn't at first smell anything as I hopped into the van to take the kids to school. But the oldest one declared that it smelled like garbage when she got into it. The youngest one entered and said it smelled like cheese. She looked around and quickly isolated the issue, a carton of milk left in the rear seat cupholders.

She retrieved it and handed it to me, bulging at the seams and very much feeling like I was handling a live grenade with life and death possibilities. I gently opened up my door, walked it to the outside garbage can and disposed of it. My youngest said it had dripped onto the floor as she had retrieved it but fortunately we have floor liners and not carpet.

Our local school system only goes half of a day on Fridays and so doesn't serve lunch to those in high school. Instead they just give them a sack lunch and a carton of milk. Near as I can figure, with spring break and a European vacation thrown into the mix, that carton of milk has been sitting in the back of my van for three weeks now and thanks to the recent spate of warmish weather, was getting ready to detonate. 

I dropped the kids off and returned home but by then, was starting to smell the funk myself. I opened all the windows and sprayed down and wiped the surfaces all around where the milk had been sitting and wiped up all the drips on the floor liner. Hopefully by early afternoon when I need to use the van again, the funk will have dissipated. For once I am thankful for an impaired nose.

Kids. 

Comments

  1. Kids will milk you for all you're worth. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real insult was that she had ridden in their several times before and after Spring Break and never said a word about the milk carton staring her in her face!

      Delete
  2. I can only imagine too well the smell you are describing Ed. Glad it was not more of an issue than it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you were reading my blog back then but a prior vehicle had octopus stew spilled by my wife and then tell me until a week later when I was trying to identify the smell. I never could get rid of it and I was never so happy when hail totaled that vehicle and it was hauled away by the insurance company.

      Delete
  3. I remember my son's gym clothes being left in a car for too long. The worst was the time that a pot of clam chowder splashed when I had to brake suddenly for a deer. Just sloshed about. I cleaned. I scrubbed. I shampooed. I neutralized the scent, supposedly. It didn't help. It took forever to fade away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thing happen with octopus stew and even tore out the carpet. Still didn't help either.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that situation was addressed before it became really toxic! Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the devastation it would unleash had it been a hot day!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that the issue was discovered and dealt with. I have no story to match! I'm thankful for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope I never see another one to match this too!

      Delete
  6. Yes, kids! But these are the stories that shape the memories we treasure once they're grown and on their own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I got married, my brother thought it would be hilarious to leave his lunch pail leftovers under the seat of our getaway car, to sit there until we returned from our honeymoon 10 days later. Fortunately, a friend of mine, who had been filled in on this prank by my bro, was picking up our car for us from the airport and didn't find it quite so funny. He mercifully retrieved it and threw it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll laugh at a lot of pranks but allowing something to spoil in someone's car is not one of them.

      Delete
  8. Well I sure hope a lesson was learned and the kid doesn't leave a milk carton in the car again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly let her know I wasn't too thrilled but knew it was an accident and will never happen again. We shall see.

      Delete
  9. There's buttermilk and then there's this... Ugh, I can almost smell it from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being northern, I don't have much experience with buttermilk. Even our recipes come with ways to convert buttermilk into ingredients we have.

      Delete
  10. Kids and the stuff they do...make a person smile a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can laugh at it now. But driving two girls to school and back in a funky smelling car wasn't making me laugh then.

      Delete

Post a Comment