Someone New In My Neighborhood


 Above are the ten pints of spicy pickled asparagus that I put up after our first picking. The last time I made some, I made about ten pints and my wife promptly gave away probably eight of those pints and so this year, I hope to make a lot more if possible. Due to a work trip for my wife and forecasted rains, it wasn't looking likely that a garden trip would be possible today, which is normally when we go. So I went down this past Tuesday, four days after the above picking, and picked about half as much as the first picking. It is currently soaking in cold water in the fridge and I hope to get it picked this afternoon (as I write this). Then maybe next Tuesday, make another run down to the farm for another picking and some mushroom hunting after all the forecasted rains, and get that preserved before my wife gets back and says otherwise. Hopefully if I hide some in reserve so she can't give all of it away, that will be enough to last until next year.

Our neighbor up the street really likes bluebirds and asked several years ago if he could put a nesting box in our backyard. They really like open glades with a nesting place a few feet above ground and so the box is mounted to a metal post in the middle of our backyard. The first year, we successfully fledged several batches of bluebirds and it was a treat to monitor their progress with my kids. Then racoons discovered things and we lost several batches. My neighbor put an upside down bucket around the post and underneath the nesting box to discourage the racoons and it did, but is also discouraged the bluebirds. We went about a year and a half without any bluebirds using the box. 


Last fall, the bluebirds found it again and successfully raised a brood of young though I missed out on seeing them fledge. An ill timed vacation meant we were gone when they fledged. The first year when they fledged, it was always a treat to see. The young bluebirds would fly to nearby trees and sit their peeping their heads off as their parents frantically hunted for worms to feed them. After a couple days, the young bluebirds would either get the hint or move on and they would disappear.

This spring, they immediately found the box and built a nice nest and sometime late last week, laid their first egg. Everyday for four more days, the added another egg to the clutch than stopped, I think as a new one didn't appear this morning. They typically lay 4 to 6 eggs at a time and this one is right in the middle and right on our average. (We have never seen six eggs but another neighbor with a similar bluebird house has several times over the years.) Now the waiting game begins and they will hatch anywhere from 13 to 21 days from now. I find it fascinating that they largely leave their nest unguarded during the day and so temperature plays a large part in hatching times. I have also read that the diet of the female bird also can vary the incubation time. Despite being laid over five days, the eggs will typically hatch all at once or within a day of each other. I'm not sure how that is possible but it is. Then they will hang out in that nest for another 19 days and fledge. So sometime in mid May or the third week of May, I should have five more bluebirds peeping their heads off for their parental worm meal. This will put our total of reared bluebirds up to around 30. 

Comments

  1. I have a bluebird house and we've had a few nest. I need to put up more houses as we have plenty of grasslands. In the summer, we have bluebirds and goldfinches, which are both a delight. The goldfinches nests in tall trees by the drive, but spend much time in the hay fields on both sides of the drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never really paid too much attention to birds outside of a zoo setting or the occasional eagle along the river. So it has been kind of a nice diversion to follow the lives a family of birds.

      Delete
  2. This should be fun. I hope you get to seen them develop and fly off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. This time, I hope to use my camera and long lens to try and get a few pictures.

      Delete
  3. Their eggs are so pretty! I hope it is successful (for them AND for you) and we get to see more photos of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had any problems with raccoons since the upside down bucket was installed. I hope that trend continues. I think there is a law being debated in Iowa to allow people to trap or shoot them all year round as they are so populous that they are becoming a nuisence.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to see this all happen! We don't have bluebirds here. Only Steller's jays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really paid much attention to small birds. They are all just small birds to me. But then my neighbor started his bluebird project and I've found it quite fun.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to meet the newest batch of baby bluebirds, Ed. Your spicy pickled asparagus looks delicious. Whenever we have a big get together with Mrs. Shife's side of the family, there are always lots of pickled products and it is one of my favorite things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife will occasionally eat some but for the most part, I'm the only one that eats pickled anything. But I grew up in a family that wolfed them down all year round.

      Delete
  6. How neato! Does your neighbor come over to check them out? We have crown flowers and collect the caterpillars on branches. They eat and eat until they form into chrysalis and then emerge as Monarch butterflies. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is quite a bit older and doesn't get around so well so he generally drives over on his lawnmower after he mows his lawn to check things out once a week and sometimes twice during more critical times like the egg laying and getting close to fledging.

      Delete
  7. I put a bird box on the outside of the workshop a few years ago. Dad told me it was too late that year, but some bluetits soon found it and hatched a brood out. And it's been used every year since. I should make some more really. Your pickles sound good. I'm going all in on the gherkins this year, hopefully! We all love them and pickled beetroot so plenty of both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to go all in on certain things so that we don't have to raise them for a couple years afterwards. It reduces the pressure of having to raise a crop every year. Asparagus isn't one of those things since it comes regularly every spring but tomatoes are and we are all in on them this year.

      Delete
  8. How exciting! I hope you are able to get pictures.

    No comment on the asparagus.(count your blessings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to get pictures as long as it doesn't slip my mind.

      Delete
  9. You should try pickled radishes! Hope you get a good back of bluebirds the eggs are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment