Reaping and Preparing to Sew

 

After two days of lows well below freezing, and hopefully behind us now until late fall, I set off for a morning of foraging. My first stop was the asparagus patch which had quite a haul despite perhaps a third of it having frozen and wasn't any good anymore. The tips are starting to be more loosely organized and so it won't be much longer before the asparagus harvest is done for the year and we'll leave the shoots to bolt. 

My second stop was to look for gray morels. The first two times I have looked, it has been too dry and a bit on the early side. Since then we got some much needed moisture and the ground looked prime for finding morels but with two days of below freezing temps at night, I suspect it put a damper on them for now. Some years are like this where it yo-yos between too much or too little moisture and heat and we just never find too much until the yellow morels come out a bit later. However the next two or three days are supposed to get up into the 60's so there may be one last shot at finding some gray morels this coming weekend before the yellows start popping.

For those new to the blog, gray morels are prized by me because they are more firm and hold up to cooking better and have an earthier flavor than yellow morels. While the yellow morels can be up to five times the size of gray morels, their flesh tends to fall apart easier if not picked right away and they have a much more mild flavor. I'll eat both kinds with relish but I prefer the grays if I have a choice.

Although not on my list, my traipsing through the woods usually means I run across a few remains of whitetail deer. usually at this point they are too far gone to tell if their demise was age related or perhaps one that got away from a hunter this past winter. I usually just look for antlers to add to my collection and move on. 


With my wife off on the west coast for a medical conference, and taking one for the team by bring along her mother, that meant I was allowed into the greenhouse which is typically out of my domain unless the water barrel needs filled. As I have written before, we are going to focus on tomatoes this year but I didn't quite expect how many of them my MIL had planted. Above are two trays of tomatoes that won't be long in this greenhouse before being transplanted to the garden.


Then I found some pots of some that were evidently planted a bit earlier as they were a bit bigger.

But even they were short compared to the two plants on the end. However those two I had picked up on a whim while looking for other seed at our local plant nursery back in early mid March. They had been pretty stunted looking back then but have certainly grown out of it. To the left are some oak trees that my wife started last spring by sticking a few acorns into dirt. If they leaf out again this spring, I will probably sew them around our lawn in places that could use a nice oak tree.

Comments

  1. Wow, look at all that asparagus! I planted more plants last fall, but it will be awhile before they establish well enough to produce like that. We have to be content with a few handfuls until then.

    I love seeing the photos from your greenhouse. Everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember when my parents planted that bed of asparagus. It has certainly done well.

      Delete
  2. Wow Ed! Those are a ton of tomatoes. Best of luck - I have never been able to get them to successfully grow here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised. I would think they would love the heat down there as long as they were watered. Maybe it is too much heat.

      Yeah, tomatoes from my experience, are even hard to give away so I'm not sure what we will do with them all. I will most definitely fill up any available jars I have with them.

      Delete
  3. I hope those two big plants are in the ground now! (or a bed/pot with plenty of room)

    I'm afraid our last freeze ruined our chances for peaches or pears this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't due to schedules but hopefully they will be this afternoon or tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. That's a LOT of tomatoes. I love them but I'm seeing some canning and sauce making in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of canning in my future. I've been stocking up on supplies now before others so that I'm not needing something in the midst of it.

      Delete
  5. Looking good, Ed. Continued best of the luck with the garden and the weather and enjoy your bachelor time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not exactly a bachelor as the two kids have been with me all week. But it has been nice getting an extra 7 hours in the middle of the day to myself.

      Delete
  6. Your wife, you MIL, and you are all great gardeners! You will have fine harvests forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our areas. My MIL has taken charge of the greenhouse as long as I keep the water barrel full. My wife is the main boss for the farm garden and I provide the muscle and do most of the preservation.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. As long as everyone is happy with tomatoes, yes, we won't starve!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you will have enough tomatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. If you happen to come to Iowa this summer, stop by and pack your suitcases with as many as you want to take back to England!

      Delete
  10. How many tomatoes will you plant? I have around 50 under a grow light, but will only plant 1/2 of them, giving the other plants away. And I have 7 types of tomato plants, mixing up paste tomatoes and larger ones for sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted about 18 or so and probably have another 30 in the greenhouse. This year I bought some Amish Paste tomatoes for the first time, supposedly one of the best for canning into sauces. Most years, we have just got what was available in the stores which is usually Romas and perhaps a slicing tomato.

      Delete
  11. *closes eyes and chants* I will not covet Ed's asparagus. I will not covet Ed's asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you are successful in starting a bed someday. Once it starts, it is a gift that keeps on giving with no work necessary.

      Delete
  12. We just had some asparagus the other night. I'm so jealous. That looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been delicious. We had an asparagus frittata and also an asparagus and chicken stir-fry for our last two meals.

      Delete

Post a Comment