Phase One Completed

 


With the room repainted and subsequently, six layers of paint smaller (three on each side), the carpet guys found a hole in their schedule and showed up a week early. The carpet install went without a hitch on their part though it did require me to shave a half inch off the bottom of the door so that is would swing freely. As soon as the installers left, I swept out the room and was going to install the closet for the rest of the day. On step two, I realized that I was still missing one box, containing three of the four vertical dividers. 

I guess it is the number of boxes, but I already had three prior deliveries of all the components which my invoice said contained 12 boxes. I never bothered to count since the pile was quite large in our living room. But before I called, I checked my email and saw that I had an email from UPS saying I had a delivery for later that day so I waited. The missing box appeared at 5 PM and I had my schoolboard meeting in an hour so I didn't get a lot done.

But the next day I got it completed and am pleased with it especially since it is a rather small closet to start with. It will help maximize it's usage. I set up the bed, installed the closet doors, hung up my MIL's TV on the wall and am calling my part done though I will still be providing more labor in the days to come as we carry furniture, clothes and belongings from downstairs to this bedroom. 

My only complaint with the closet systems is the packaging. Each part comes in a box full of expanded cardboard, bubble wrap and plastic strapping. While it means that of 26 boxes I received for both closets, not a single part was broken or marred in anyway, I ended up with a literal small mountain of packaging materials in my garage. I was pretty sure that the expanded cardboard wasn't recyclable but stuck some of it in my recycling bin anyway. It wasn't picked up though everything else was. So this morning, I removed the middle seats out of our minivan and loaded up the old carpet and all the packaging material from those two closets along with a few other odds and ends. By the time I got the last piece in, the minivan was full floor to ceiling, front to back. I drove to the local county dump and for $14, disposed of it. Had I lived elsewhere, I would have just burned the cardboard but it is against regulations to do so at this time, for good reason. 

Once back home, I took all the recyclable cardboard, which the outer boxes of all the closet parts were packed in, flattened it out, loaded it up and drove to the recycling center and got rid of it. I could have gradually gotten rid of it with our regular recycling but it would have take a couple months to get rid of that much so it just made sense to get it done and over with. 

Comments

  1. Well done. Now onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the closet looks amazing, as does the room! Your MIL should be very happy, I think. I'm going to have to look up "expanded cardboard" as I'm not sure what that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that is the proper name. It essentially has 1 inch square holes of air that go clear through in an organized row instead of lots of little round tubes that traditional corrugated cardboard has.

      Delete
  3. How nice everything looks! Here, making arrangements with carpet layers is done weeks ahead of time. We layed the last carpet ourselves and boy howdy, is THAT ever a job. There is a reason you will never see an overweight carpet installer. Answer: knee kickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen enough installs to know I don't want to try one myself. It does look like very hard work. When we bought the carpet, from a small mom and pop store that I frequent, they were booked until this week. But I told them that I could be home any day between the scheduled day and the day we paid for it if someone had a couple hours of free time. That allowed us to get it installed a little over a week earlier than scheduled.

      Delete
  4. That looks great! So fresh and clean. Do you hire out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but I require room and board, travel, and a few days on either end to see the nearby sites while I'm out that way!

      Delete
  5. You are SO handy! I would also like to hire you, after Margaret. I spend most of my afternoon yesterday going under the house to move out boxes of old tile and materials to donate and clear the crawl space for storage of newer supplies that will probably not get used.
    We have a place to donate items to - ReUse Hawaii. I take things in, and then go shopping and buy other people's donated things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We recently sorted through boxes of clothing in the basement, mostly belonging to our oldest daughter that was saved for our youngest daughter. I then took several boxes to the local Goodwill store. It always feels great to free up that space for other things!

      Delete
  6. It looks great!! When does she come back? Beginning of April?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime in less than 96 hours.... gulp.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on a good job. It looks nice and seems very efficient as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about efficient as we shuffled three bedrooms of belongs through the family room downstairs, taking up precious fireplace time this winter. And there is still several boxes of stuff waiting to be sorted through or disposed of piled up behind the couch!

      Delete
  8. Interesting Ed. I have never received this sort of cardboard - I wonder if it something new, or just something I have not seen before.

    The closet looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fairly common stuff when shipping large items, especially appliances. At a former workplace, they used tons of that stuff a year.

      Delete
  9. Kay of Musings: Wow! I’m totally impressed. You are amazing! We just don’t have the energy anymore to do so much work. And we know how much work it is. We are taking bids from a few contractors to renovate a couple of our bathrooms for mom who is almost 94 in anticipation of needing more wheelchair accessible facilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quickly reaching my limit as well... where I am no longer interested in doing as much work... not needing more wheelchair accessible facilities.

      Delete

Post a Comment