You Opened Up a Rabbit Hole

 


I wish this post would be conclusive but it isn't. A couple people mentioned that the above photo from a recent post looked like that of a boy. I get the feeling as well. But when I save a digital file, I always put any writing on the photo in the filename and so I wrote Elizabeth (Lizzie) Cogswell in the file name. So after reading the comments, I went and found the picture so I could scan the backside. I often don't publish these so I have proof of having an original photo in case others claim otherwise but I will make an exception in this case. Sure enough, "Lizzie" was written on the back in a script that I am familiar with.


The above picture was found in a box of family photos that I inherited from my great grandfather, which would be the son of Elizabeth. It only contains photos from his side of the family and so I'm reasonably certain that the picture is down that particular branch. As a bonus, while looking for that photo, I found the below picture among my digital archive of photos. It is written by the same hand and shows a younger picture of Lizzie. But I'm not sure where I obtained it. It isn't attached to my online tree so I'm fairly certain I have the physical picture somewhere. I'm just not sure where and from whom. It is another reminder that I should have taken more care in my early days of genealogy work and labeled sources, something I do now but not back then.


Because it came from my great grandparents, I figure it has to be either my great grandmother Grace or my 2nd great grandmother Elizabeth who labeled them. But which one. I thought I might be able to tell by handwriting along but that really hasn't helped me. 

The above signature is known writing from Grace.

The above writing is straight out of my 2nd great grandmother's letter to someone detailing her side of the family tree. Neither are conclusive in my mind but Elizabeth labeling them makes the most sense as she would have direct knowledge instead of my great grandmother who was only related to the family through marriage. 

But then my mind was blown. In looking through the scrapbook for handwriting, I also found the below picture, also labeled "Lizzie" and this Lizzie looks nothing like my 2nd great grandmother. The gentleman also looks nothing like my 2nd great grandfather either. But Lizzie is in the exact same script as the previous two labeled photos. 


So I looked immediately before and after the above picture in the scrapbook for context and found these two images that I scanned so long ago.



It is a card address to Lizzie Cogswell and on the back says Compliments of W. N. Gemmill (I think). It has a pressed flower and a black ribbon, I'm guessing from someone's funeral. But the writing on it certainly looks a lot like the previous Lizzie's. So does that mean the writing is someone else's? If so who? 

So who are the baby Lizzie's? I'm not sure right at the moment. My 2nd great grandmother went by the name Lizzie (as attested by the flower card above), but came from a large family with lots of other Elizabeth's both in first and middle name so it theoretically could be one of many cousins. Indeed, there are lots of pictures of extended family throughout. I'm not sure who W. N. Gemmill is or how they fit into this picture. I did a search for my 2nd great grandmother's scrapbook but can't find it at the moment. I'm not sure where it is and that means I really need to spend more time organizing things better. 

So after all of this, I'm not closer to an answer than I was when I started this journey posed by those two comments. A rabbit hole indeed!

For reference below, a youngish known picture of my 2nd great grandmother Elizabeth (Lizzie) Cogswell Kuck that looks like many pictures I have of her when she was older and is probably the youngest photo I have of her if the above two aren't her.



Comments

  1. Another mystery! Very interesting, Ed, and very fun. It's good you keep such meticulous records. That doesn't solve everything, but it certainly must help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was more meticulous and organized.

      Delete
  2. Ed, not that I know of, but is "Lizzie" a nick-name for something other than Elizabeth? Or just truly a random nick-name (these happen sometimes)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least from that era, I have never seen a Lizzie that wasn't a nickname for Elizabeth. I'm not sure that applies to modern times though.

      Delete
  3. I can't even keep today properly sorted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today has been trying for me too but fortunately not about genealogy but rather a wife's vehicle that refuses to start. Five trips across town later, I think I finally fixed it.

      Delete
  4. Well this is all very mysterious! Is it possible that Lizzie signed the photos to show they were hers, but they depict other people? (But who does that?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I think the only way to solve it is to start researching a lot more in her related family and cousins and I have too much on my plate right now for that time commitment. But it will now remain in my mind every time I think of her.

      Delete
  5. Well I'm terrible at saying who looks like who. Besides, I've learned most folks see what they want to see. Although I initially felt that looked more like a boy in the first photo, plenty of babies don't have enough hair the first few years to be definitive in identification. I certainly didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hair doesn't bother me either. My oldest was nearly bald for the first two years of her life too. Now I wish my hair was as thick and could grow as fast as hers. But I definitely could feel a boy vibe to the picture and I'm usually pretty good at discerning baby genders.

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth (Lizzie) was a very common name back then so you could have ahold of several different ones. There are so many Johns on my dad's paternal side that one of them went by Bacca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has at least three first cousins named Elizabeth that I saw when writing this post. The only way I think I could rule all of them out is to find pictures for each and that is a hard thing to do.

      Delete
  7. These old photos are a gift. Margaret (above) mentions how Lizzie was a common name back then. I wonder if common usage slipped after Lizzie Borden's fame? I'm not sure of her date and how it corresponds to the dates of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have bet that Lizzie Bordon was short for Elizabeth Bordon but according to her birth record, her parents did name her Lizzie. I have a lot of Elizabeth ancestors across many branches of my tree and all of them in the same time period of Bordon usually went by Lizzie on many of their records. I have a lot of Kate (Catherine) and Fanny (Frances) too. Back then, actual names tended to be formal and biblical and then shorted for everyday use, unlike today where they are literally all over the map. I don't envy genealogists 100 years from now!

      Delete
  8. Love all the old photos. My wife does genealogy and had found a lot of cool photos and documents in her research. Family history is fascinating and is easier to search than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started 25+ years ago, I had not one old photo to show and didn't know any named beyond my great grandparents on one side and grandparents on the other side. Now I probably have 100 old photos that I have obtained and many 100's that I have since inherited. My hope is to combine them into book format at some point to make it easier on those that come after me.

      Delete
  9. Love the old photos. My wife does genealogy and has discovered many cool photos and documents. It is easier than ever to search family history these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our mutual friend Kay once posted about Google Lens which helped identify the location of where a photo was taken. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it could identify your people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure would. I have used google lens more than once over the years but always on modern pictures. I have never tried it on an old photo but I'm sure it would work.

      Delete

Post a Comment