War Money


 Among my grandfather's patches and other war related items was a heaping handful of coins mostly from France and Italy during World War II and the above three bills, fronts on the left and backs on the right. 

The 100 cento lire bill didn't intrigue me much until I turned it over and looked at the back to see the words "Allied Military Currency". That caused me to do a little digging. Evidently, after we landed on the coast of Sicily on the lead up to Operation Avalanche my grandfather was in, this bill was put into circulation and was equal to one American dollar. It was interchangeable with normal Italian currency. A total of 917.7 million of the Am-lire as it was called, weighing 758 tons were printed during the war effort. The first flight 9 days after the invasion of Sicily carried 7 tons of that total. As one might expect, all this printed money led to massive inflation issues in Italy during the war years. The back is pretty interesting as it lists freedom of speech, religion, want and fear on the back. I guess one would call that a propaganda campaign these days.

The second bill down I have heard about and seen pictures of but have never held one in my hand. It was printed by the Japanese after the invasion of the Philippines and was often referred to as "Mickey Mouse" money though from hindsight, it was no difference than what the Americans did after landing in Italy other than the side one is viewing it from. The big difference is in the Philippines, one could be executed for holding the native currency where as with the lire money above, it was interchangeable.  Evidently the money was labeled as mickey mouse money because it was fake in the eyes of the natives. Like the American issued lire in Italy, the Japanese pesos also caused hyper inflation and was very quickly worthless.

Finally, the last bill is still a mystery to me. It is a 5 Franc bill made during 1943, apparently by the French I'm guessing, i.e. native currency. Both the Americans and Germans made their own currency upon their respective invasions of France and it doesn't look like either of them. There are plenty of pictures of this bill online but I have yet to find a description of its making and the history behind it. I know there had been a free part of southern France up until Operation Torch, the invasion of Africa. But that had been taken over by the Germans in retribution for Africa. So as far as I can recall, Germany controlled all of France during 1943 up until D-Day in 1944 and had their own currency. Evidently the French were still able to make their own currency during that time period. The only other thing of note is a translation of the backside of the note. It reads, "The counterfeiter will be punished with forced labor for life."

Comments

  1. Interesting money! Why is it all cut in half?

    The French bill was issued by the Bank of France, according to what I'm seeing online, and was used between 1943 and 1947. Perhaps the unoccupied part of Vichy France? I'm not sure.

    https://www.banknotes.com/fr98.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why it is cut in half. Perhaps it was an army thing back then for soldiers bring back currency to America.

      Delete
  2. This is some interesting stuff, Ed. I don't remember reading about any of these currencies before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was familiar with the Japanese Peso due to my ties to the Philippines but the other ones were new to me.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about the fake currency. I had some French coins from that era that were obviously made with light metal and although they looked somewhat like the normal currency, they didn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One must take liberties when conquering nations I guess.

      Delete
  4. I may be wrong, but did Germany conquer all of France. I thought that after the surrender, the Vichy French maintained some control (although they were puppets to the Germans who controlled Paris and the north and western parts of the country. I wonder if that's part of where the money came from? The other money is interesting as a way to understand history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Germans didn't initially take over all of France but did later in response to war efforts against them. I'm assuming the money came from that period and time when part of southern France was still under their own control.

      Delete
  5. The things that I learn from reading blogs! All this was new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is pretty neat Ed. I have a couple of bills/coins from my paternal grandfather from what appears to be Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew what to do with these sorts of things. Currently they are back inside the box they came in stored upon a bookshelf.

      Delete
  7. Very cool! I wish I had a $5,000 US bill. I saw it in a gangster movie - I think it was with Al Pacino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the $10,000 bill was the largest produced but was discontinued a long time ago.

      Delete
  8. I definitely learned something new today, Ed. Thank you. I was completely unaware of this. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment