Joe Philippines: Not So Itsy Bitsy Spider


For the most part, bathrooms in the Philippines are stripped down versions of the ones here in the States. Many of them contain only a toilet and a sink. They are fully tiled with a drain in the floor and if you shower, you do so with a tabo or dipper which you use to poor water over you. As the country becomes more affluent, houses are starting to install at least one actual shower in the house but these are plumbed up to inline heaters with lots of dials, switches and scary looking electrical plugs plugged into sockets right in the shower with you. All this is leading me away from my main point which is that most bathrooms are very tiny compared to those here in the States.
 
The one where the above picture is taken was about three feet wide by about five feet deep. In order for me to use it, I had to open the door, squeeze between it and the sink and get turned around in front of the toilet so that I can get the door shut again. On this particular trip early in the morning when I was still waking early due to jet lag, I closed the door and sat down to do some business when I looked over by the hinge side of the door and saw this guy.

To give you some scale, I later measured the tiles and they are 10" tall. This guy was every bit the size of my hand. The first instance I saw him, my heart leaped in my chest and possibly skipped a beat. I hate spiders and I figured word had gotten out and someone had placed it there to scare me. They had done a good job I thought but as I sat there keeping an eye on the thing just to be sure, I saw it mandibles moving near its mouth. Suddenly muscles in my body all tensed up and I knew taking care of business would no longer be possible. I carefully, every so slowly, eased my camera out of my pocket to snap the picture seen above thinking it might be a good blog post on the biggest spider I have ever seen out of captivity and then started to ease up my drawers to prepare for a careful exit.

Just as I got ready to reach for the door handle, the darn thing started skittering around the door at 90 miles per hour coming to rest on the gosh darn door handle. My heart may have reached somewhere around 3000 rpm and a little yip of fright might have escaped my mouth or I might have manly shooed the spider away and walked away. I'm guessing you all know which way was true.

As I stood there debating what I was going to do at three in the morning while everyone else was sleeping, trapped in a claustrophobicly small bathroom by a killer spider looking to kill me with one venomous bit and use my body to host millions of spider eggs. We eyed each other for awhile and I finally came to the conclusion that one of us was going to die and I slowly started reaching down to grab my Teva sandal to smack the spider with or die trying. My hand had just made it somewhere south of my knee when the spider made a break for it.

Now in a three by feet feet wide bathroom, making a break for it has limited options. In this case, the spider leaped over to the wall above the sink and dashed along the wall mere inches from my shoulder. This time I definitely screamed as I lunged for the door. Normally it would take me a full 30 seconds to maneuver my large frame in around the door and sink so that I can get it back closed. Somehow with the killer spider now lunging for me, I was able to leap towards the door, in mid air open the door, clear the sink, fly across the threshold and slam the door behind me, all in about .05 seconds. I don't know how the door slamming or my screams of terror weren't loud enough to wake up the house but my heart beats nearly did.

Later when every one woke up, I warned them of the killer spider on the loose in the bathroom and of course was laughed at. Then about three hours later I hear my wife screaming like she was being murdered in the same bathroom and like me, she came flying out the door at record speed. After that, my brother-in-law, who evidently is immune to killer spiders, trapped it in a very large plastic container with a tight lid and he spent the rest of his days on the balcony as a show and tell object. It took me a few days before I was able to use that bathroom or again and even then, I checked every corner of every bathroom for sibling spiders seeking revenge for their brother before I ever put one foot across the threshold.

Comments

  1. Oh Ed. What a story. I've come to terms with most of our local (and much smaller) spiders, but they never fail to startle me if I catch them out of the corner of my eye or if they show up unexpectedly. I love that you still thought to get a picture! Very brave of you, considering the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I will do for a blog post! One thing that crossed my mind was that we don't have any spiders around here that can kill a person or cause serious pain and I didn't know what a spider that large in the Philippines is capable of doing.

      Delete
  2. My to-be-wife and I were at a retreat. One evening we were all sitting outside on the ground for a singsong (I think it was). I noticed a very big spider on my knee and decided that Sue was pranking me. Meanwhile, but unbeknownst to me, Sue had seen it and come to the belief that I was pranking her. Then it moved. And so did we. Sue may not have exactly screamed, but the whole assemblage heard and laughed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing what the world has come too that with so realistic looking plastic spiders, we naturally assume that it what it is first, rather than think it real.

      Delete
  3. I remember you sharing that photo before!! (a spider that size is memorable) Fortunately I'm not much bothered by spiders or snakes, but I certainly want to know which ones I SHOULD be bothered by! Being in a foreign situation, I would probably have reacted much as you did, not knowing if it was venomous or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened during my 2018 trip so it hasn't been all that long ago. According to my BIL, they are completely harmless, but then again, he had it in a plastic peanut butter jar with the lid screwed on tightly too.

      Delete
  4. Those bathrooms in other countries are an adventure! There were some high tech ones in South Korea but also the holes in the floor kind. Senegal has many huge spiders too; it's considered bad luck to kill them, so I suffered through it if any were sharing my space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I haven't seen a high tech bathroom in the Philippines yet, that day is probably coming. Most are adequate but there are a few holes, literally and figuratively.

      Delete
  5. This story made me laugh: a too tall man in a too small bathroom with a too large spider. The fact that it was 3 am made me laugh harder yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't wake up Tim! I was quite terrified at the time but I have the ability to see the comedy in it after the fact.

      Delete
  6. Ugh! I am terrified of spiders! Yuck, bleeech, goodness gracious! Glad you made it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the best part was having the same thing happen to my wife after she made light of my adventure prior.

      Delete
  7. Great story for us who only have little spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Philippines makes me thankful for a lot of things back home, spider size among them.

      Delete
  8. Funny but . . . now I'M afraid to go to the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bathroom is tight enough to not allow something of that size inside. But that particular bathroom had a six inch exhaust fan directly leading outside and it doesn't run all the time. A small rodent could have gotten inside.

      Delete
  9. Same sort of thing happened to me when I visited my husband's family for the first time on the Big Island. I was taking a shower when I saw a couple of cane spiders. I hate spiders! More than you. And my spiders were a quarter of the size of yours. Good grief! I've now changed my mind. I don't need to visit the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly have a live and let live policy. If they leave me alone, I leave them alone. Since that spider didn't leave me alone, it by all rights should be dead if I hadn't been too scared.

      Delete
  10. That's one big spider. My daughter would have freaked out and she often has me remove spiders she finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids do the same thing. But there is a difference between squishing a small spider with a kleenex and trying to kill a spider larger than a kleenex box!

      Delete
  11. I love to travel... but the spider size in some locations makes me wary. Being trapped in a room with that thing would have ended me.

    Btw... you seem to be able to reply directly to comments, but my blogspot doesn't seem to have that. Any idea how I change it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are (I think) called embedded comments. If you go to your settings page, click settings, scroll down to the options for comments, the first one allows you to change to embedded comments. However, while they are working right now, blogger seems to mess them up quite frequently this past year to the point nobody can make a comment on my blog. It hasn't happened in a few months so perhaps they finally solved the issue.

      Delete
  12. That is one healthy Spider! Thanks for the story I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment