Joe Philippines: All About the Rice

This is a new post created just about all things rice, a subject I hadn't written about before.

In all my trips to the Philippines, my best photos to describe rice farming can be found in these two woefully inadequate photographs. It is inexcusable and yet I shall make two excuses. The first excuse is that I spend most of my time up in the mountains of the Philippines and not in the lowlands where the rice is farmed. The second excuse is anytime we are in the lowlands, we are there in the dark hours of the day or in a hurry to get where we are going and so I am limited to quick point and shoot from the hip type photos as we fly by and if we just happened to be in the area of some of the planting or harvesting going on. So I will try to describe it to the best of my ability.

From the above picture, you can see the typical paddy layout in the lowlands. The paddies are generally fairly small in size and have built up dikes around the perimeter so that the paddies can be flooded individually before planting. They also form convenient "fences" between properties and footpaths to get from your property home or to the nearest road. Occasionally you will see a shelter built up at an intersection of dike walls to provide shade for a worker on break from planting or harvesting.

The paddies are flooded for a period of time before planting. I assume this is to soften up the earth for the next step is to till the earth and water into a pudding like consistency. To till, they sometimes use their local called the caribou which looks like a cross between a cow and a bison, or they use a kuliglig. 
 


A kuliglig is best described as a hand tractor and you can see one pulling a cart and two people above. It is essentially a motor on two wheels with long handles. Behind it you can attach a tiller attachment or hook up a trailer and drive yourself around. At the time it was quite novel to me but now many years later, I have my own version for use in the garden though I have never hooked a trailer to it and rode around and the only attachment I have for it is a tiller.

Once the mud is stirred up enough, the farmers bring in flats of rice shoots that they started growing somewhere else or purchased. The shoots are perhaps six inches tall at that point and what happens next happens in a flash. The farmer will gather up a bundle in their hand and with a rapid fire motion, poke the root end into the mud which is thick enough to hold it upright. They will walk along doing this over the entire paddy in what must be back breaking work, literally. 

Once planted, the rice is left to grow as the mud dries up. I can't recall ever seeing an actual harvest going on in all my time there. I'm not sure how it is actually done. What I have seen though is the rice piled up on the asphalt highway edges to dry in the sun and cause those of us plying the highways to swerve around them or any caribou being let to or from the fields. 

All this rice ends up in markets and although I thought I took a picture of it once, I can't locate it now. At a market, one will find a rice vender and there will be dozens of varieties of rice in heaping boxes on display. To me, they all look the same but to the choosey Filipino, they are most definitely not all the same. They will go around looking at the various boxes of rice, occasionally scooping up some in their palm for closer inspection and to smell before making their purchase. It will be scooped up into a plastic bag and taken home for that meal. Sometimes they will buy it in large fabric bags that are then dumped into dispensers back home for easy access. 

As you would expect, rice makes up every meal in the Philippines. Indeed, they will often say that if they eat something without rice, it is merienda which in essence means a light meal or in American parlance, a snack. Kanin, or rice as we know it, is generally cooked in pots on the stove though in more modern times, many use rice cookers. The rice is scooped into the vessel and rinsed a couple times to remove a lot of the starch. Then water is added and measured using their fingers. They will stick a finger into the rice in the bottom of the pan and measure the depth of the rice. Then they will add water so when the same finger is used to just touch the top of the rice in the water, that the water level comes up to the same spot on their finger as the rice initially did. This ensure enough water has been added though for fresh rice, you might want to subtract some and for older rice, you may want to add a bit more in order to get great results. 

This Filipino tradition still lives on in our household and we go through a 50 lb bag of rice and most of another probably every year. Both of our kids are very skilled about measuring the right amount of water using the finger method and cooking it using our rice cooker. I on the other hand, am still not the best. I'm just too heavy handed and thick fingered to get an accurate measurement and whether I can tell the difference or not, I am usually told that my rice needed less or more water added. I'm okay with that.

Comments

  1. We are incorporating a lot more rice and beans into our diet, but for all of that, I think I'll stick to buying the one pound bags. 50 pounds is a lot of rice! I saw rice planting in Korea, but until you mentioned it, I never noticed that I had never seen it harvested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have grown quite fond of having rice in my diet compared to the days before of potatoes and bread. I guess because it is so adaptable and goes well with most things. A one pound bag would last only a few days with my MIL cooking and if my kids got their wishes. My wife and I temper things by cooking things that don't need rice to ease up on the carbs.

      Delete
  2. When I was in Indonesia, where they grow two rice crops a year, I got to see it in all stages. Some fields were being planted as others were being harvested or even burned in preparation for replanting. You might ask and they'll let you pull up your pants and get out into the field and plant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my back wouldn't last from just watching them. Perhaps threshing or drying would be more my speed!

      Delete
  3. Ed, agriculture in other lands has come to fascinate me. On our trip down from Tokyo to our training facility via train, we are (sadly) mostly in an urban environment, although farther out we do see some gardens.

    The Japanese are the same about varieties of rice. I do not know that I consciously knew this until I watched "Jiro Dreams Of Sushi" and he is speaking with his rice buyer.

    Seven Samurai (The Original) has some great scenes of the rice planting and rice harvest.

    I did not know that cooking advice about rice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan, especially out away from the large urban centers, is also on my short list of places I would like to experience.

      Delete
  4. I take it that they don't have the hillside terraces that I have seen elsewhere. That is so impressive to see and a great example of intensive agriculture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have missed the post on Monday about the hillside terraces.

      https://riverbendjournal.blogspot.com/2022/10/joe-philippines-rice-terraces-and.html

      Delete
  5. I was amazed the first time I saw a 50-pound bag of rice in a Japanese store in Seattle. I like rice but eat it rarely. I've walked through rice paddies (on one of those paths) in southern Senegal and that was an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On one of the first dates with my eventual wife, I ended up carrying a 50 lb bag of rice halfway across Liverpool, England. That was my first experience with rice not in a box made by Uncle Ben.

      Delete
  6. I love rice, though my favorite types are probably the unhealthiest. Even though we don't grow it anymore, I still try to always buy rice grown in Arkansas. People are always surprised when I tell them Arkansas is the number one producer in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to the rice fields of Arkansas but know about them. It is an area I would like to see. On a related side note, I am friends with a fellow who spent his life's work trying to add nutrients to rice for poor countries with lacking diets, namely in Africa.

      Delete
  7. I am pretty good at cooking rice but I will remember the Filipino measuring trick. Thanks for sharing it. I love the colour of healthy rice when it is growing - such a vivid green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just use the measuring cup that comes in the sack of rice and seems fairly coordinated with the markings on the rice pot. Not sure what standard they are using for that. It turns out serviceable rice for eating but I admit, the rest of my family using the finger method can turn out better rice.

      Delete
  8. I've been raised to have rice with every dinner since my mom was raised in Japan and Korea. My husband showed me a video recently of a new machine in Japan that plants the rice automatically which is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have assumed there was such a machine but have never seen one. I'll have to google it.

      Delete
    2. Having just watched a couple videos, I'm surprised I haven't seen one of those in the Philippines. The walk behind one especially didn't seem that complex or probably expensive. I suppose a lot has to do with plot size as most I have talked to in the Philippines only own really small plots where it probably isn't economically feasible.

      Delete
  9. Here in Hawaii we eat a lot of rice. Unfortunately I have become a rice snob and only like short grain rice from Japan that is freshly milled when ordered at this little shop in town. And I use a rice cooker for perfect results every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We mostly eat Jasmine rice but have at least a half dozen smaller one pound bags of various other varieties that my wife uses for specific instances.

      Delete

Post a Comment