It Started Out Epic


Our latest vacation began at all places, a company campus called Epic which makes and distributes software for the medical community to manage patient records. It was not something that ever crossed my radar but my wife, plugged into the medical community, was well aware of it and that we would be near it on our way north. So we stopped and went on a self guided tour along with hundreds of other people that were evidently more in tune than I was.

The Epic campus covered hundreds of acres with dozens of large buildings containing meeting rooms and offices. Each building had a theme of some sort and the common spaces of the building were decorated according to the theme. The general public was allowed to walk through these common spaces through a series of elevated walkways and tunnels. Above, we had just exited the Andromeda tunnel, passed by the gate of hell and were headed for heaven. You could ring the various doorbells of hell and get greeted by spooking messages but fortunately for us, the gate was locked at the time.

As we crossed a skywalk towards the Grimm Fairy Tales building, we saw a cute "gingerbread" house.

Eventually we found ourselves in Oz. While fascinating to see all the decorations, I couldn't help be troubled by the whole experience. Other than large meeting rooms, there were no cubicles or large rooms of working people. Everyone had their own private office with four walls and a door in these dozens of buildings. That fact was touted but I could instantly see how it created enormous expenses giving everyone their own private office. Combined with the sometimes elaborate decorations in the common spaces, certainly underscores why the Epic software is so very expensive for medical offices to procure. But it is quickly becoming the standard and will soon have a monopoly of medical record software.

Jules Verne had his themed building along with...

a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed building. We walked around a dozen other buildings and it definitely was a nice way to stretch our legs and get out of the car a bit before continuing our journey north.

Our journey carried us though northeast Wisconsin where we stopped at our maple syrup supplier to pick up a case of their homemade maple syrup. Since my parents brought some home 35+ years ago in exchange for some of their honey, I have never been able to go back to the fake stuff found in supermarkets. We also stopped at the house of some friends where I once took a whitewater kayaking class for a week and say their woodworking and wool processing/dying shops. Eventually we found ourselves in Marquette, Michigan along the southern shore of Lake Superior for a couple nights. Above is one of the many lighthouses that studded the shores everywhere we went.


On one day we hiked along the Sturgeon River which was the color of Root Beer due to the tannins leached out of cedar tree bogs according to the internet. At the time I was mystified as to where the river was headed as it flowed due west during our hike away from Lake Superior. Back home, I was able to trace it's route much further west before it turned to the Northeast and eventually makes its way into Lake Superior.


The river's color was a real novelty for me and Canyon Falls seen above really highlights the color difference.

Back home if I saw a river that color, I certainly wouldn't want to touch anything in it or wet from its spray. 

Also according to the internet, after leaving the box canyons below Canyon Falls, the river flows out into the flat boggy lands of Upper Michigan again before ending up in a series of lakes leading to Lake Superior.

Another sight we saw were these massive structures built out into the bay near Marquette. It took a little bit of watching and learning from other stops on our trip to learn the function of these structures. Essentially they are a series of concrete storage bins for iron ore that are filled by trains that run out on top of them and dump their loads from the belly of the cars into the tops of the bins.


This closeup of the end of the structure shows things more clearly. Once the bins have been filled, a large ship will pull alongside and gravity will load the iron ore into the ship in short order. Later on in our travels, we will get to experience some of these ships up close and personal but more on that later.







Comments

  1. Replies
    1. We walked around for a couple hours and probably only saw half of the buildings. It is a huge place!

      Delete
  2. That was an Epic beginning to a trip that looks very inviting. I have been North of Superior. I guess I have also been south but not in a sightseeing sort of way, just travelling through from Duluth to northern Michigan and then south to cross the border at Port Huron to Sarnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Duluth many times but have never connected a trip to the UP from there so the southern coast of Superior is still a mystery to me in that area. I have crossed the border at Port Huron. It was a lot of waiting and evidently a popular place to cross.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting post! The whole Epic campus seems a bit bizarre for a company like that. I was glad to see your comment about the water since without knowing it's origin, I would find the color of it off-putting, as well. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely off my radar of things I might be interested in looking at. Only after we were there, did I vaguely remember seeing a piece done on CBS Sunday Morning some years back about the company.

      Delete
  4. That place looks like a theme park rather than a business. My younger daughter works for Epiq which does medical litigation. I always get the two confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not shown but in several buildings, they had slides in between floors. It was those that reminded me of my age as they weren't as easy to get into as I remembered as a kid.

      Delete
  5. I always loved Michigan's UP (I'll be back up there in the end of Sept and early October). I always said it was like the West with trees! That EPIC complex is weird. I don't see the connect to medical records and all these storied depictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered some of the posts you have done in the past on your time in the UP. I should have searched them up before leaving but it was sort of a spur of the moment thing. Up until a week before we left, I was actually looking at going someplace completely different.

      I don't know of a reason for the theme other than the campus is so vast, that it makes it easier to remember what building someone works in if they say I work on the second floor of Oz versus building 14.

      Delete
    2. Good to see an area of the US that I probably won't go to. Very interesting, thank you!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad I could help out.

      Delete
  6. I'd not heard of Epic either, but what a fascinating place! Someone had a creative streak in designing it. What fun.

    And what a contrast to the roaring river, which is equally fascinating because of it's color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really fascinated with the water color. If I had a glass full of it, I would assume it was root beer without question.

      Delete
  7. Epic seems a little crazy. Why would they spend so much money on an amusement park? Do people pay admission? Are there enough visitors to justify it?

    It's interesting to see your adventures in Michigan and add them to my own -- we both saw evidence of the area's ore processing and shipping industries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only fathomable thing I can think of is to keep the buildings straight so they can find one another. With so many buildings, just numbering them might get confusing but if you see it and say, ah, this is The Chocolate Factory, I'm one building off, it might be easier.

      We definitely tread on ground that you tread earlier so stay tuned. I think I have a couple more posts coming up on our travels.

      Delete
  8. OK, that was an indeed epic journey you had. What an amazing place! And then you went through Wisconsin and Michigan too! We used to love taking the kids to the Milwaukee Public Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard about the Milwaukee Public Museum. I'll have to check it our the next time I'm in the area.

      Delete
  9. A fascinating corner of America to explore. Like you, I am not too sure about "Epic". Sounds like the company has more money than sense and wouldn't have so much money if their products were more reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly seem flush with cash right now with all the new buildings that were going up on their campus. I guess we'll see how time treats them.

      Delete
  10. I have never heard of such a place, but it sounds pretty funny. I used to say (about work), "If they see me having fun here, they'll start charging me admission everytime I clock in." This kind of seems like a work place I'd worry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment