Viewpoints


The scenery was simply captivating to my Iowegian eyes. There was diversity in every direction I look that was so beautiful. One evening while taking a drive, we passed by hill upon hill of fruit trees and vines in every direction. This one shows Mt. Adams on the Washington side of the Columbia gorge in the background.


Just a few miles different and the scene is totally different with wheat fields as far as one could see with Mt. Adam again in the background.
 

On another day we headed south to see Mt. Hood, the highest point in Oregon. Coincidentally, it was the day before a publicized high altitude rescue occurred here. 


On another day we drove north into Washington to visit Mt. St. Helens, a mountain that has been in my consciousness since my youth when it erupted the last time. The entire time I spent on the ridge named after a scientist killed in the eruption, I felt woefully small and insignificant in the grand scheme of life. It was a different feeling for me but one I was glad to experience. 


On yet another day we experiences lots of waterfalls coming from mountains, through those areas of fruit trees and wheat fields until they collapsed over the edge into the Columbia river basin. This one is named Horsetail Falls.


Latourell Falls


Bridal Veil Falls


Mulnomah Falls.

On a related note, due to the immense crowds flocking to see these waterfalls, some now require a timed entry pass to have a SHOT at parking somewhere to see them. I emphasize a shot because at the above falls, there is something like 40 parking spaces for the thousands of people who visit it on a typical summer day. Because of this we made perhaps one of the best decisions we made on the entire trip and essentially bought tickets with a place called Sasquatch Shuttles. Essentially they gave us a place to park our car and shuttled us around on school buses to the various (all ways packed parking lots) near each falls and dropped us off. This gave us time to hike, look around, take pictures and then easily catch the bus to the next stop. Meanwhile hundreds of people waited long periods of time for a spot to open up or got into fights jockeying for an opening parking spot before the car previously occupying it could get out of the way. (Yes I did witness that more than once.) The whole experience was worth every penny.


The Columbia River gorge where the river bisects the Cascade mountains is just a beautiful place. Above is the fanciest rest area you will every see, complete with marble floored bathrooms along one of the roads that winds along the inside face of the gorge.


For much of our time in Oregon and Washington, the skies were just cloudy enough they weren't overpowering and indeed with highs in the mid 70's everyday, it was a great week to be there while back home sweated it out. Occasionally it was overcast like the days we went to see both Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens along with the day spent chasing waterfalls in the Columbia River gorge, but I didn't mind. It was perfect hiking weather.

Comments

  1. Such beautiful scenery! Awesome! Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and thanks for your kind compliment!

      Delete
  2. Amazing scenery! I remember going to some fancy lodge up on Mt. Hood and having a drink in the bar. Good for you for using the shuttle service to the waterfalls -- it definitely sounds like you save yourselves a lot of heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drove up to that fancy lodge but did not go in.

      Delete
  3. Spectacular views, Ed. I'm glad you were able to get these photos to share with us! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were, especially from the lush and rolling hill country where I'm from!

      Delete
  4. I grew up in that area of the world. I was born near the Idaho border farther east of the Gorge but lived a good many years in Portland. This was my backyard. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I'm not sure I could handle the traffic of Portland, especially in the areas of the bridges over the river like our motel was, but you can't beat the scenery!

      Delete
  5. You got some lovely weather and experienced the variety of landscapes that make this area so fascinating. Rivers, mountains, farmland, waterfalls, beaches, forests. My younger daughter has climbed Mt. Adams twice. And Mt. St. Helens once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Adams certainly looks imposing from a distance. Mt St Helen…. No thanks.

      Delete
    2. Adams is the second highest mountain in Washington but luckily, it has easy and hard routes. Even the easy routes would kill me, I'm sure! My daughter said that St Helens was challenging. Steep and grueling. Beautiful view from the top though. She took a bunch of spectacular photos at the summit of Adams too.

      Delete
    3. According to Google, the south side is the easiest side to climb, the side I was always viewing. Maybe when I was younger...

      Delete
  6. Really great photos of fantastic places! I hope you got to jump into the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not jump in the water. It was fairly cool the day we were by it and I'm sure the water was cooler than I like anyway, not to mention I had a three hour drive afterwards without anyplace to wash off the salt water before leaving.

      Delete
  7. I am taking a friend to visit Portland tomorrow. My daughter has lived in Portland for going on 9 years now; I used to trek over there regularly, but this will be my first trip over since Covid. I had forgotten how much of a madhouse the parking lot below Multnomah Falls is until I read about your experience... We'll stop at Vista House, but unless we catch a break we'll probably just have to see the Falls from the freeway. I do love my Pacific Northwest! I enjoyed your photos: as many times as I have visited those same places, I sure don't have very many pictures of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a timed pass, I would attempt to park by the shelter house at Wahkeena falls and take the 1/2 mile trail to Multnohmah. We ate lunch at that shelter house and even though the parking up along the highway was packed, there were plenty of spots there.

      Delete
  8. I'm very impressed with your gorgeous photos, Ed! What amazing scenery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s hard to beat the convenience and ability of an iPhone.

      Delete
    2. That's what I use on our trips. I don't bring my big Canon anymore. By the way, this is the first time I've seen the term Iowegian. I actually looked it up for fun and saw this in the Urban dictionary. "A term used to describe one who is more intelligent than a person from Missouri, more down to earth than a person from Illinois, and who lacks the lame quality."

      Delete
    3. A very accurate definition!

      Delete
  9. Mountains are great, and I suppose the waterfalls may be the greatest part of all. Good planning about getting bussed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn’t so sure about the shuttle until we were on it and saw the jammed parking lots. Then I knew the right choice had been made and I wanted to pass that decision on.

      Delete
  10. Wow! It looks fantastic in the photos, so I know in person it's even better. I can see why people love that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Pacific Northwest has some amazing scenery Ed. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, lovely pictures and I love the perspective on Mt. Hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I never got a photo of it from further away though it always seemed to be present in the background. I'm not sure how that happened. So I had to be content with an up close picture of it.

      Delete
  13. I follow a gal who hikes in Oregon and Washington, she gets up early to get a parking spot. Here is the link to her blog. https://photomomlinda.blogspot.com/
    You had a great trip and the shuttle sounds like the way to go! I enjoyed seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I would do since I believe the timed passes didn't start until eight in the morning. Before that, we could have driven right up there without problems.

      Delete

Post a Comment