Lacking Wisdom Now


My eldest has had braces and so it was no surprise that her dentist said that she would have her wisdom teeth removed sometime this summer to keep the rest of her teeth in their new places. We scheduled a preop appointment and then the actual surgery appointment and before either of us knew it, the day was upon us. 

Back when I got mine out, there was no internet or YouTube videos but living in an age where both of those things exist, I wondered if my daughter would say something funny after the operation. I've seen countless videos of teens saying the funniest things while still under the effects of anesthesia on the car ride home. Perhaps that is why my mind was preoccupied with those sorts of thoughts and not where they should have been.

After the surgery, we were ushered back into the recovery room and immediately those thoughts left my mind seeing my daughter out cold on a bed with her mouth gaped open and full of bloody gauze and a white band around her head to hold ice packs in place on both cheeks. When she came too, she didn't say anything at all but just looked at me and cried, breaking my heart on the spot. I suppose that is a sign of being a parent when all you want is to be there in her place taking the pain so she doesn't have to feel it. 

For the the next five minutes or so, she would occasionally babble something but it was nothing I could understand so I don't know if it was witty or not but whatever she was saying always ended up in more tears. Fortunately the nurse tried to alleviate some of my fears by saying the tears were normal and that they usually stopped as soon as the patient was back home in familiar surroundings. Ten minutes later as I easer her onto the couch in the living room, it proved to be true. 

All told, the surgery lasted only a half hour, recovery about 20 minutes and an hour after she was put under, she was laying on our living room sofa babbling incoherently but no longer crying or seeming to be in pain. It took another 30 minutes before I could start understanding what she was saying but they were just questions of how long had the surgery taken, how long would she have to have gauze in her mouth, etc. Probably at the same time I could understand her words, she finally got her memory back. From them saying they were adding the anesthesia to her first lucid memory was about 90 minutes. 

I assured her that she held her tongue remarkably and didn't say anything embarrassing nor did I get a video of anything. I did take a couple pictures of her recovering in our living room though. As it turned out, I should have worried about her cell phone. When I was telling her later about the babbling and crying, she decided to check her cell phone and saw that she has sent a series of incomprehensible texts to two of her friends complete with two blurry closeups of her face with ice packs held in place by the elastic band around her head. She gave me permission to keep her phone away from her if there is a next time until she fully regains her faculties. 

So that rite of passage is completed. Next up, the other rite of passage, obtaining a drivers license.

P.S. if you notice my absence in the upcoming weeks, it is because I am. We are off on a vacation which among other things will satisfy my need to see new areas of the world, in this case my 47th and 48th states. The only two remaining will be Alaska and Rhode Island. I will get caught up on everyone’s blogs upon my return and I’m sure have a story or two to write about.



Comments

  1. Ed, I'm glad your daughter made it thru this okay--my 17 year old niece went thru this same thing last summer and complained of jaw pain for 2-3 months, my sister worried she developed TMJ. I had a real chuckle here at your daughter being her own worst enemy in her drugged state--well, when you got the world in the palm of your hand! Hope your enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll have some new stories to tell soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far she seems to have healed up completely with no after affects. I am looking forward to leaving here in a couple days and seeing some new territory.

      Delete
  2. Ed, glad your daughter made it through okay. We have fortunately been spared this for everyone in the household. And yes, we can ask everyone not to do something - and then do it ourselves anyway.

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, having wisdom teeth removed seems to run in my family. I do know others with all their wisdom teeth in place or never having came out.

      Delete
  3. LOL. You were the perfect dad. That's funny about her texts. I'd have never given it a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of "drunk" texting never crossed my mind when I gave her phone back to her. Fortunately her friends seemed to know what was going on and never really said anything about it.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that's over with for her. My younger two had it done at the same time and we learned then that it's true that red heads are trickier to anesthetize!

    I had to laugh at the whole texting incident. I had a similar experience after a "procedure". My son was worried enough that at one point he texted and said, "YOU aren't driving, are you?"!

    Enjoy your trip!

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly remember this incident if I ever go under anesthesia in the future.

      Delete
  5. I have made some nonsensical comments when coming out of anesthesia a couple of times. I had a procedure a couple of months ago and told myself not to talk when coming out of it. I was largely successful. Also, I still have all my wisdom teeth and my dentist has suggested they be removed. I've told him if he can catch me, he can do it, but he never will. They will go with me to my grave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem. I just deleted the extra comment. My mom, who was with me always coming out of surgeries, never mentioned me saying anything. For all I know, I give up the goods every single time!

      Delete
  6. My younger daughter sobbed in the car and drooled. She was distraught that I wasn't allowed to give her any chicken noodle soup. It's very normal but sad to see them so upset. Have a great trip and stop by if you're close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had told me about it being normal BEFORE she started crying so pitifully! We're not planning in being in your area but if things change, I'll shoot you an email.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy that vacation and PLEASE post all about it!!! Have a safe and fun trip! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my wisdom teeth and am content enough with my imperfections. Enjoy your trip, and come to Canada sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there the year prior to Covid, before I started reading your blog. I was visiting some of my wife's family in the area.

      Delete
  9. Yup. My kids went through it too. It's always hard for a parent to see their children in pain or in tears.
    Have a wonderful trip! And then you can tell us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is like a rite of passage getting those wisdom teeth extracted. I still have one wisdom tooth and the Dentist said he could pull it whenever i want...but since it is causing me no problems why rock the boat;0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment