Day Seventeen: The Beginning of the End

 


It was clear when I woke in the morning at the bottom of the large oven that is the Grand Canyon in summer time and so it was no surprise that the day would become quite hot. A slight breeze kicked up during the night that literally sucked all available moisture out of me and it continued throughout the day making drinking water a lifesaving event. During breakfast of peach pancakes and fruit, I sensed something was up due to the crew continually whispering to each other off to the side of camp. As we started packing, they told us that Bill, the father of the family of four that arrived yesterday by helicopter, had some sort of heart problem during the night and is cutting his trip short to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, cuttings ones trip short at the bottom of a remote stretch of canyon, downstream of the helicopter pad, isn't easy. The crew had called someone who was going to drive forty miles in a four wheel drive truck with a low granny gear down some canyon some miles downstream, the nearest access point of any kind, pick up the family and then drive back up with family riding shotgun in the back. Not very pleasant but the only choice.

We separated their bags out and I helped take down their tent before we pushed off. After Lava falls, the waters just seem tame and even medium sized rapids just felt like ripples. The end of the trip was a burden that was only getting heavier on my mind. We stopped at mile 220 for lunch and did a quick hike up the beach to the high water mark during the 1983 flood of 92,000 cfs. A few of us then walked about a mile up the canyon to explore and kill time before walking back to the boat. It seems wrong to be leisurely taking someone having heart problems to a destination point but we would be waiting on a truck to arrive there so we might as well be waiting here where some scenery was available as there where there wasn't much to see. When we got back to the river from our hike, I was so hot, that I rashly decided to jump in the river. Bad mistake. All heart and breathing functions immediately stopped when I hit the ice cold water that had warmed up to a balmy 50 degrees at this point 220 miles below the dam upstream. I defied all laws of physics as I merely slapped the water and then defied gravity back to shore. Once there, breathing resumed but we would be a couple miles down the river before my heart rate would assume some sort of normal rhythm.

We made it to Diamond Creek around mid afternoon and got the family of four and their gear into the back of the truck. Since they were still strangers to us, there were no tears shed or sense of betrayal but instead cordial handshakes and wishes of good luck. We also took the time to offload a lot of trash and unneeded supplies and picked up some fresh food for the last two nights, our first fresh food since the beginning of the trip. We also picked up some motors for getting across the sewage lagoon called Lake Mead and loaded up one of the dories since it was unneeded now. As a result, we also had to say goodbye to Ote whose husband and owner of the dory company had driven the truck trip down the canyon. It was all I could do to keep my emotions in check as I hugged the lady who expertly oared me through Lava Falls and may or may not have painted me in the nude, goodbye. I would truly miss her.

We pushed off and went around below Diamond Creek Rapid at mile 226 to camp for the night. It was a rocky shore and we had difficulty getting everything tied up so that things wouldn't get beat up on the rocks. After getting camp set up, I had a few beers with the crew until time for a supper of barbeque chicken, broccoli and rice casserole, garlic bread and a fresh salad. After the dishes were done, we sat around the fire telling stores late into the night. Although we have two days left, tomorrow will be the last day in the dories for the clients. As I lay down among the rocks in my sleeping bag, I wished I were dreaming so that when I woke up, we would be just beginning the trip instead of winding down to the end. The crew has started dropping details of how the end will be and as I began to drift off to sleep, I decided how I would like to say goodbye to the river at the end of the trip.

Comments

  1. Did you ever consider just staying in that area? Beginning a life of adventure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned in a previous post, the guides on the trip actually offered me a job on the very next trip down the river after our trip finished. I did think about it and if I wasn't so conservative by nature, I probably would have taken them up on it. But I had a well paying job and lots of friends back home that I would be giving up for low pay and lots of uncertainty. I would also have to be dealing directly with lots of people whom I may not particularly enjoy. So I declined the offer.

      Delete
    2. I don't want your trip or this series to end!

      Delete
    3. I sure didn't want it to end either.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous shot of Grand Canyon! Having health issues on a trip like that would be terrifying but it was well-handled and hopefully worked out OK for this guy. Did you ever hear anything about what happened to him? Water is so important and we sometimes don't realize it unless we're in very hot or high elevation conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I not only do not know what happened to him but I also don't know his name either. My journal only recorded the names and addresses of those who did the middle part of the trip so those that left in the beginning and those that came in for the final few days were not recorded.

      But I did, on the spur of the moment, google up some of the crew of that trip and have visited websites, including that of Ote, who may or may not have painted me nude. I checked her portfolio and I'm not in it.

      Delete
  3. It had been a successful trip if you were dreaming of fresh beginnings when you are at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it pulled at my heart strings very strongly and had I been weaker, I might still be a guide paddling dories and rafts down rivers.

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed at the detailed record you kept of your memories on this incredible adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment