Day Nineteen: In Mourning

There was only about an hour of light left when we shoved off and much of that was spent adjusting ropes and rigging as we floated along. We puttered along as the light faded mostly lost in our thoughts. I tried to feel some regret of having ditched my fellow clients now probably in their tents back at camp but couldn't. I was leaving in my own way to mourn the end of the trip and what had become a life changing experience and for that I couldn't apologize. When darkness enshrouded us and we could no longer safely travel even with the light of a flashlight, we anchored on a sandbar, I crawled into my sleeping bag and dozed off to the gentle rocking of the boat.
 
A nearly full moon arose and all too soon, a voice said, "it's time." I crawled out of my warm cocoon, untied the rope and pushed us once again into the current. We had made good time so we drifted for a while and sipped some warming whiskey that Lee brought out. The canyon walls were getting lower to the surface of the water the nearer we approached the lake proper and as any group when around the dead, in this case a free running Colorado River, we talked in hushed tones. There were long periods of comfortable silence and that was all right because we were all men of the same cloth. Words need not be spoken to be understood. After an hour, we started the motor again, retreated back into our minds for silent meditation and motored through the night watching the canyon walls recede into the murky depths.

The moon shining on the walls of a canyon is perhaps one of the most beautiful sights to behold. The canyon then gathers it, molds it, and shines it down upon me, an insignificant being passing through, blinding me. Twenty days ago, I had set upon a vacation of adventure and for a few days on the river, even believed it. But something inside me changed and I knew it had done so in a fundamental way where there was no going back. I first realized it at Phantom Ranch, then again at the helicopter pad along the river and at Separation Canyon. I didn't want to go back. I wanted nothing more than to be frozen in this place and spend my life running this river over and over. Eternity would never seem so sweet.

As the moon set over the rim and false dawn soon began to take over, I was chilled to the bone partly because the effects of the whiskey were wearing off. I was saddened at the thought of what was now behind me. I wanted to just roll over the side and let what was left of the Colorado river consume me. But dawn's light brightened and chased away my demons and the chills that had entered our bodies like a thief in the night. Soon the world was illuminated and I was feeling more at peace with my fate though I still was visually appalled. The cliffs that had been thousands of feet high were now not more than one hundred feet. Their walls were stained with a bathtub like ring of scum deposited by the lake during one of its higher cycles. The emerald green water we had floated on all week was a stagnate dark blue covered in a slimy scum of motor oil, Styrofoam, and other assorted trash that people had thoughtfully left behind for others to enjoy. I fervently wished I could collect it all, track them down and dump it on their lawn among other things that bordered into the land of the illegal.

We crossed the remainder of the lake in silence, like driving through the scene of a major battle only minutes completed and casualties strewn. When we arrived at the takeout, I carried my gear off to one side out of the way and began helping them unlash the raft flotilla of boats and carry the gear ashore. As the last boat was being stowed onto a waiting trailer, a loud nasally whine from somewhere out on the lake snuck into hearing range and soon into the visual range. A sleek jet boat pulled up and disgorged the rest of the passengers on the shore excitedly babbling about how fast the trip across the lake was. They asked me if anything had happened during the night as we slowly motored across and I told them what they would have perceived, that nothing had. The truth was that yes something had happened during the night. I had said goodbye to the canyon that I had fallen in love with and now left behind.

Comments

  1. That is a very fine conclusion although I wouldn’t be surprised if there were an epilogue. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one more post on the subject set to publish on Wednesday.

      Delete
  2. You have told your story of the trip down The Grand Canyon so well but this Day 19 post is arguably the most poetic - conveying your special feelings about the entire experience with very well-chosen words. As a reader it has been so good to travel with you on the raft of recollection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the vacations I was thinking of Ed, the ones that we change us so that we are never the same.

    At one time the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, which feeds the San Francisco Bay Area, was said to be as beautiful and stunning as the Yosemite Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard about Hetch Hetchy. Now that the wonders of Glen Canyon are emerging, forever buried under waters isn’t as long as I once thought.

      Delete
  4. Interesting trip with great photos. You are an excellent writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like it was one of the biggest growth experiences of your life. It gave you an awe of nature while showing you how destructive humans can be to their environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said. I bet even now, more than twenty years later, you can still feel that ache inside. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ed, Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. I have found it riveting and deeply moving. Not only because of your passion for the beauty of the natural world but because of your writing skills. I am a 65 yo woman who lives in Northern New Mexico with a canyon at the back of my yard. Yesterday a huge bear strolled through our back yard. Unfortunately we are in a severe drought and wildfires are rimming our world. Take care, best to you, Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading along. I have been through New Mexico several times and have always enjoyed the time.

      Delete
  8. My comment disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comments are moderated so they only appear once I approve them, usually in the morning my time.

      Delete
  9. Well written conclusion to a fine trip. Gigi hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not ready for this to end. I keep hoping you will decide to stay and the gardening posts are a decoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I have one more post tomorrow and then I have reached the end. But, I have another series of posts on a trip I took to the Philippines that I may resurrect later this summer and repost.

      Delete
  11. I know you said you removed the ability to connect to old posts without paging back, but is there any way to just post a link to the start of this series for when we want to re-read? It feels like it will be inaccessible all too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll try and come up with a way tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Wendy, I have created a label for this series of posts and if you scroll down below my reading list there is now a label link called "Writings" on which you can click and sort the Grand Canyon writings out for rereading. Enjoy and thank you!

      Delete
  12. Thank you very much!!! I am so pleased about this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you ever have the idea to go back and do it all over again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used too but hope is fading. I married someone who can’t swim and thus not too keen on such an adventure.

      Delete

Post a Comment