Day Eighteen: My Betrayal

 

Water Going Over Falls at Travertine Grotto

I woke up to clear skies and by now knew that it meant it was going to be a scorcher of a day. We had a miniature Easter egg hunt when we woke up for some plastic eggs filled with candy. For breakfast, we had some eggs of the real kind along with some fried potatoes and French bread. With fewer people, everything was quickly loaded and we floated down the river for a few miles before stopping at Travertine Grotto.

Travertine is a type of colorful rock that takes on many different hues but seems predominantly emerald green in my colorblind perspective. The grotto, a few miles up a side canyon, consisted of a series of waterfalls that we could climb up. The largest and uppermost falls required a rope to scramble up. We walked around but didn't linger as already it was hot when not in the shade and there was very little of it in the grotto. We floated downstream to another place called Travertine Falls where we had lunch and did another short hike. This falls was in the shade so we sat up there for quite awhile watching the water obey gravity and soaking in the coolness. I knew exactly what a lizard feels.


Roping Up the Falls at Travertine Grotto

Reluctantly, we walked back to the boats and pushed through a series of very good rapids before finally reaching the foul smelling stagnate waters of Lake Mead "Sewage Lagoon." There were piles of Styrofoam, plastics and other discarded refuse tucked away in coves and niches and a skim coat of oil on the surface that coated the rock walls like a bathtub ring. If was disgusting that all this was done in the name of a few watts of electricity and recreation. The electricity I could understand but who would want to spend time on these foul waters when pristine water lay just a mile upstream?

We oared our way through the slime to Separation Canyon where three of Powell's men began their journey (beneath the surface of the water now) to the outside world that had slaughtered them. Now that our journey and my dream were ending, their ending seemed like a good way to go compared to the alternative of going back to my engineering job. After unloading the boats, I helped the crew rearrange them into a rig of sorts. Both rafts were tied side by side with two dories tied off in the front and the third off to one side. One of the motors was hung off the back and everything that could be was loaded back on.


Nick Above the Falls at Travertine Grotto

Last night, I had decided that I didn't want to see more of Lake Mead than I had too and I would rather spend my remaining time with people of like mind and not with the clients, all but two of whom had only piecemealed the trip and hadn't gone the distance. They were strangers to me and I didn't think I could enjoy the last night on the shores of the sewage lagoon. So I committed an act of betrayal myself and secretly asked Bronco if there was anyway I could come with him and the other crew who were going to boat the rig and gear out through the canyons and across the lagoon proper during the night. He looked me in the eyes for a long while and I knew he could see more inside of me than I really cared. I squirmed a bit and looked down at my toes and mumbled about how I didn't think I could enjoy a night in camp when I would rather spend it with his crew who had been so nice to me. I started to assure him at how I would do anything wanted of me and stay out of the way when he interrupted and told me to keep my gear packed close by and wait for his word.


Falls In a Slot Canyon of Travertine Grotto

We ate a supper of steaks, salad, asparagus, mashed potatoes and cheesecake, a meal about as fine as could be had anywhere but better. It was our least meal together. Bronco told a story of Powell's journey and what had occurred at Separation Canyon to those who knew nothing about it and then walked out to the raft. Looking back, he said he needed one more person to help out and then looking at me and asked that since my gear was still all packed, if I would consider coming with him. Without a goodbye to the other two people who had gone the distance or the rest of the clients and the two remaining cooks, I threw my gear into the boat and we shoved off. I never looked back. My betrayal was done.


Looking Up and Out of a Slot Canyon of Travertine Grotto

Comments

  1. Some real drama here! My heart broke a little reading about that sickening pollution, but enjoyed the food--you guys sure ate well. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have long seen that when nature is too easy to access, it is too easily disfigured by trash, names etched into soft stone, etc. Such is the case with Lake Mead unfortunately. One of the highlights of this trip that I seldom mention is of the pristine nature at the bottom of the canyon. Unlike the rims, there is nothing in the bottom that would tip one off that it is the year 2000 (when I took the trip) versus the year 1800. There is no trash and any signs of past exploration are hard to find and often easily missed. But within minutes of hitting Lake Mead, it was obvious that it was 2000 and that many had been there before us.

      Delete
  2. You did what seemed best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, second on the difference in and outside of the Canyon. Other than the trails, it looks exactly like it did 200 years ago.

    My thought - probably worthy of a post - is that for the description of Lake Mead (all too common) - is it is not only too easy to access, but that no-one feels ownership for it or of it. It may be somewhat of a gross over generalization, but I truly believe that those who feel a sense of ownership in the land - whether or not they own it - are far more likely to care for it than those that simply see it as an "entertainment" zone. This, in my experience, cuts across numerous sorts of traditional beliefs and lines and no one group is more prone to it than any other (to be fair, as is often evidenced in our urban areas as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are correct. There are probably many that use Lake Mead frequently who are very conscientious about what they leave behind. If I were betting, I would guess it is mostly due to those from long ways away who come there for a vacation and then depart to never return. Unfortunately there are enough of those types to do a lot of damage.

      Delete
  4. I love that last photo. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really fascinated with looking up at the sky whenever I was in a slot canyon.

      Delete
  5. I marvel at the food and the beauty of nature, yet so easily ruined by man and our exploitation of priceless resources. I think you did the right thing and don't see it as a betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked at how immediate it was seen in the lake.

      Delete
  6. I am glad they were responsive to you as an individual, and not all about the rules. I have looked at the website for these trips today, but can't figure out which trip is the same as yours. There are a lot of choices offered. And of course I had to look up the Separation Canyon story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the dory trip from Lees Ferry to Pearce Ferry. Their online source I just checked showed only an 18 day trip but back when I went, the first trip in the spring was also offered as an extended 21 day trip to have some off days to hike.

      Delete
  7. I image the lake is even worse today, after decades of too little rain. When I was living in Utah, someone found evidence that Powell's men were, most likely, killed by Mormons and not Paiutes. The Arizona strip was still the frontier in the later half of the 19th Century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve always heard about the Mormons killing them dresses up as Indians but it has been so long I no longer remember how they knew that.

      I’ve been encouraged on reports of how fast the canyon now exposed has “cleaned” itself after being exposed.

      Delete
  8. It really is sad to see the pollution that people thoughtlessly leave behind in nature. What an adventure you've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has gotten even worse since I’ve heard.

      Delete
  9. Lake Mead "Sewage Lagoon" does indeed sound horrible at the end of what had a been a beautiful three week love affair with Mother Nature. A real turning point in your life - not just a holiday adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, it sort of matched my mood at having to end a trip that meant so much to me.

      Delete
  10. That's a sad story. You saw nature at its best for most of your trip, which made this particular day all the more heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was expected from what I had read before the trip but still surprising.

      Delete

Post a Comment