Days Five and Six... But In Reverse

 


For some reason, Blogger would only let me post these pictures in reverse order. I could have corrected it by adding them all one at a time but since it probably doesn't matter to those of you who weren't on our trip, I decided to go the easy route and just leave them in reverse order. Above on our final day, we stopped at one of many Route 66 stops where they had an Ark above in pretty poor condition and a better conditioned whale below.


As we stretched our legs and posed for pictures, at these largely deserted sites, I told me family all about Route 66 and what it was like back even before my time.


Prior to Route 66, we spent an afternoon at an aquarium in Tusla at the request of my daughters. One of the exhibits has a bunch of seahorses hanging around. I couldn't help but wonder if it is socially acceptable to ask a male seahorse if they are pregnant or if that is just a beer gut.


No surprise that my kids love the large jellyfish exhibits the most. For the most part, I did too. I was amazed at how clean all the aquarium glass was for being in the middle of the afternoon. In most aquariums I have been to over they years, it would be nothing but oily handprints and snotty nose prints by then.


Evidently a fish lost in deep thought.


Although I wouldn't have known this at their age, my kids definitely knew and informed me that this was a Lion fish.


Prior to the aquarium and a lunch with an old schoolmate of mine, we stopped at an art museum of sorts. It had lots of paintings but also art displays which I tend to enjoy the most. Above is a Buckeye burl which the woodworker in me was highly envious.


This art display really grabbed my attention.


I'm not really big on old paintings of various historical people and scenes but this painting of the Grand Canyon spoke to me enough that I snapped a quick picture of it.


I'm guessing this was Medusa?


The museum was located in the Phillbrook Mansion, in a part of town full of huge mansions and perfectly manicured lawns. I really felt self conscious driving my old dirty minivan through the gates to get to this now art museum but I'm glad I did.


The day before, we ended up the day with a drive through a huge wildlife reserve where we got to see lots of bison.


The visitor's center was permanently closed for reasons I never saw explained but it was an enjoyable way to spend a hot windy afternoon.


Another place I put my foot down and told my wife we could stop if that is what she wanted was in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, home of the Pioneer Woman cooking show. Above is her actual filming studio/lodge/guest accomodations. 


Same place from the outside.


Same place but of the view overlooking their ranch which according to them, is comprised of "less than 100,000 acres" of owned and leased lands. The question answering people were rightfully cagey on some of their responses to protect the privacy of the family.


I was ticked by the "Robbery Alarm" on the side of this bank in Pawhuska but later learned that it was the site of two robberies in a single day so perhaps it was warranted. 


Getting to the Pawhuska courthouse is not for the mobile challenged. This was about half the steps required to get there from Main Street.


Of course downtown Pawhuska was another tourist trap place but fortunately for us anyway, not nearly as crowded as the one in Waco. We got here first thing in the morning before it was crowded so there were no lines at the bakeshop or the mercantile when we visited them. After visiting the bison, we stopped in again to see about a very late lunch or early supper but by then it was a lot more crowded and we were told it would be about three hours to seat us so we just continued on down the road.


This post as I mentioned earlier was in reverse but had it been in regular order, this would be the point where I would say we decided we had enough of traveling and eating out and so pointed our vehicle home and arrived there that evening safe and sound.

Comments

  1. I've said this before; I love your vacations. You find the most interesting things to see and places to visit.

    Regarding blogger and the photos, this is one of the annoyances that started when they changed the user interface awhile back. I've found that after I upload the photos from my computer (and while they are still in the "add images" dialog box), I first need to click on each one to remove the blue frame. Then, in the order I want them in my blog post, click them again to add the blue select frame. Lastly, hit the "select" button to put them into the post. That usually seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that the next time I find myself in a similar situation.

      Delete
  2. I wonder when I last heard or read either shindig or hootenanny. I am pleased to see them again on that sign.

    I always upload my photos as I go, so I don’t seem to run into the problems than some others do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I normally add them all at once so then I can focus on writing the post and keeping the flow going.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing Ed (yes, I have noticed it will load in reverse order as well. I either have to unselect everything and reselect if right after an upload - and that does not always work - or simple go back out and just "load" the new pictures from the Blogger library. It is aggravating.).

    I do love to watch bison. For me, that was one of the highlights of Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it happen on rare occasions but the more common error that occurs for me is that the last photo will become the first with all the rest in order. It used to be fairly easy to switch into html mode and put it back into place but with their last update, it became impossible to decipher. Fortunately you and Leigh have provided me with a tip that I had never thought to try so I will do so the next time it happens. But before then, I have one more reverse order pictorial post in my next post.

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed this collection of photos Ed, the ones of the bison look like paintings, just beautiful. How cool to visit the Pioneer Woman set too, what an impressive layout. The bust of Medusa...priceless. You always make the most of your trips, such good stuff. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug! I'm not so sure I make the most but due to the makeup of my family in ages and likes, I try to find something that everybody likes somewhere along the trip. You probably noticed I had very few photos of the Science Museum which I found to be just a giant daycare with little to do with science. But my youngest enjoyed it and so we went.

      Delete
  5. The local economies and chambers of commerce of Waco and Pawhuska must be indebted to their benefactors (Chip and Joanna Gaines, and Ree Drummond, respectively).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! I have been in enough towns the size of Pawhuska that have literally dried up that would give anything for someone like them to come along. Although I'm sure some don't like the intrusion of the crowds, the money brought in certainly has brought those towns benefits they normally wouldn't have had.

      Delete
  6. So many things I want to comment on from this post!! I'll just leave it at what fun y'all must have had these two days. I know I would have enjoyed it.

    Your Friday post evidently didn't like me. I left a comment Friday and another yesterday. Both appeared to post from my end, so who knows.... (my friend from OKC was in town and I had to ask her about the bone museum!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I responded to your comment on Friday's post. Feel free to just email me instead. I'm not sure why blogger treats you terribly and apparently nobody else.

      Delete
  7. Fascinating stops. I love aquariums and the beauty of fish and am easily hypnotized by jellyfish. I'd forgotten that male seahorses are the pregnant ones, lol. The painting of the Grand Canyon is so atmospheric! I'm not a fan of Pioneer Woman but many are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty cynical to most cooking shows. It just seems like the aggregate several popular recipes, put their twist on it along with their name and then get famous cooking it on television. About the only cooking show I like is America's Test Kitchen which cooks hundreds of versions of recipes to test every ingredient and any recipe I have cooked has always ended up in our keeper box and gets put into our rotation.

      Delete
  8. Cool trip to take us on. As an Okie, I've never been to Pawhuska. There's a long-time Pioneer Woman statue in Ponca City, OK. So, when my son and his wife were returning to Kansas City from a Texas trip and driving through Oklahoma, they called me asking if I wanted anything from Pioneer Woman. They know I love gift shops everywhere, and I initially thought they were calling from the museum gift shop near the Ponca City statue. Oh no, they were near the Pioneer Woman cooking show store! Different time zones for me. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife looked through her store in Pawhuska and really saw nothing that she couldn't get cheaper elsewhere. She just bought a coffee mug as a souvenir and called it good. Honestly, I enjoyed our walk around Pawhuska and the other stores more and really liked the drive through the wildlife refuge north of town. I also think the long drive out to the Lodge where the show is filmed is worth it just for the view.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I really enjoyed your state and getting to know it better.

      Delete
  9. Rich - If you read this, I thought of you too when we drove through your neck of the woods, I'm assuming I was fairly close anyway as we were driving south towards Oklahoma City at the beginning of our trip. Had I seen a house along the road with a beautiful garden, I might have stopped in to see if it was you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that you live in very beautiful country.

      Delete
  10. I love that Grand Canyon oil painting a lot! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting road trip! What a country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m biased of course but it is hard to beat the diversity I have found across the U.S.

      Delete
  12. You had a good trip! Fun to see the Pioneer Woman kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was neat that it was built to house guests but converted with fame and expanded to still hold guests.

      Delete
  13. Was that Noah and Jonah with the ark and whale? There might be an opportunity here, to buy cheap, paint the whale white and have an Ahab and Moby Dick site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the whale was open to the public, the ark was fenced off and looked as if it had been that way for many years. There was a vacant probable souvenir stand that had been that way awhile. I’m guessing it was a Monet making site at one point but had fallen on hard times.

      Delete
  14. What a very wonderful trip you had, Ed. I love how you put your foot down. So many fun things to see and places to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if any would catch that about putting my foot down. My wife occasionally does the same for me so it all works out.

      Delete
  15. I laughed every time that you mentioned putting your foot down! There is a blogger, Bush Babe of Oz, who came with her family to address a beef convention in Texas about Brangus cattle. They stayed in that guest house.

    Tim was very anxious to see the Waco tourist trap when he was in Texas. I wasn't with him, but I've got a tin planter from there.

    I watched a octopus in a display in the Liverpool museum. It was fascinating to watch him 'walk' around. They had plenty of activities to let him entertain himself, lids to unscrew, tactile toys. I don't remember any snot or handprints there either, come to think of it.

    When you get a moment or two, aren't we due an update on the jellyfish project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that somewhere during the trip on the radio and loved the phrase so incorporated it into a couple blog posts.

      The aquarium has a large octopus but he/she was pretty much intent on sleeping in a ball half out of sight near the top of the exhibit so wasn't very photogenic. I can't say I blame him/her.

      I will give you a short Jellyfish update here as I have a long series of posts already in my queue and I don't want to shuffle the dates, and something pertinent to them just occurred. The three jellyfish all died, eventually just shrinking into nothingness until the all but disappeared. We buried what my daughter thought were the remains of each in our backyard. In the last few days of the last one to die's life, she accidentally sniffed at their food and the jar she had been using smelled really rancid compared to some fresh stuff she had never opened. I suspect that is what led to their not digesting the food.

      So with upcoming vacations scheduled, she decided to wait until after the spring break trip before trying again and six days ago, three more arrived in the mail. She is hoping to apply all the things she learned in caring for the initial three towards these ones and hopefully things will go a bit better. I will be sure to add a post on the subject into my queue of already written posts.

      Delete
  16. I have had Blogger reverse my pictures too, and it's annoying. I usually upload them one at a time to prevent that.

    We occasionally catch that Pioneer Woman show. I wonder what "less than 100,000 acres" means? I could be 99,999, or it could be ten!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment