Sushi Again


My wife and I like to eat a little bit of sushi now and then. I am amazed at the quality of sushi that can be had in this day of age in the middle of our country and as far out in the sticks as we live. There is better sushi to be had in our Urban Jungle 100 miles up the road but it isn't worth the drive just for that. Fortunately, a sushi restaurant opened up in our town a few years back that makes pretty decent sushi and so we would go there fairly regularly, at least by our standards. (Maybe four or five times a year.)

The about a month ago, it was hit with health code violations, which is never a good thing when consuming raw ingredients. (Most of the sushi we eat is preserved but occasionally we get some with raw fish in it.) While definitely a concern in a restaurant setting, most of the violations could probably be found in most household kitchens but it was enough that they were forced to shut down and have been closed every since.

At least that was until this past weekend when we drove by and saw the door being unlocked and the sign flipped over to read 'OPEN' and so we decided to try out luck again. Although most of the staff is the same as the previous place, one new person came over to answer our question about the meaning of the new name printed on the menus and told us that they had a new owner and had just completed a remodel of the kitchen area. The menus were largely the same but had a number of additional things added to it. 

So we tried a couple new to us sushi rolls and once again, enjoyed the ability to eat excellent tasting sushi way out in the middle of rural America. It certainly beats the two all you can eat buffet places and a handful of fast food restaurants that are in the same part of town.

Comments

  1. That sushi looks scrumptious. Not an easy thing - to rebuild a business after a hygiene-related closure.

    P.S. As a former high school English teacher, I cannot help pointing out "descent"(1st para) and "save" (last para). Sorry for my pedantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I type pretty fast and rarely go back and proof anything I right (sorry just messing with you, write) on here. But I did correct it since it you pointed it out.

      Delete
  2. I am happy for you and your find. It is not something that turns my crank, but I didn’t mind it the one time I had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many are scared at the thought of eating raw fish when 90% of the menu is sushi where the fist has been cooked or preserved in some manner. But occasionally I meet people such as yourself who have tried it but it just isn't their thing.

      Delete
    2. I never went out to eat in your town while there since we had a lovely family potluck with my son-in-law's relatives from Cedar Falls. I'm not a fan of sushi although it looks beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Driving through one might think all we have our fast food chains but if one explores off the beaten path, there are some very decent places.

      Delete
  3. Looks great Ed! Sushi is one of my all time favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy it because it is a light meal and doesn't leave one feeling sleepy or bloated as say an all you can eat Chinese buffet might.

      Delete
  4. That looks very tasty...well Ed, I never had sushi, Indian, Thai, Japanese not even "American Chinese" until I left my rural hometown at 26. You're a fortunate fellow. 😋👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing I was that age or perhaps slightly older before I had my first experience with sushi. Indian, Thai and Japanese came even later mostly because those types of places didn't exist out here in rural America back then. The one exception is American Chinese which my parents enjoyed and we would eat at a place that served it sometimes when we made the 40 mile journey to go see a movie in a theater.

      Delete
  5. Sorry, Ed. You don't tempt me with this post. Even before becoming totally plant-based, it wouldn't have tempted me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing I could pick out a few select rolls that would have blown your tastebuds away, before you became plant-based that is. They do have plant-based sushi rolls now that are filled with veggies instead of seafood.

      Delete
    2. I did try some with avocado and asparagus when we went to a Japanese restaurant in MN several years ago, but they were wrapped in Nori. I just can't get past that stuff.

      Delete
    3. Well at least you tried. I find so many that haven't tried because they just have the wrong mental image.

      Delete
  6. Well, I've never eaten sushi. I think I read somewhere about the fish being fermented, which caught my interest, but it's not something I'd make without first having sampled some tasty examples. And since we rarely go out to eat, it will likely remain on my "maybe someday" list for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived up north, I ate a lot of pickled and smoked fish which was their way of preservation, both quite tasty. The only way of preparation I never could enjoy was lutefisk, which I did try but was one of the few things I couldn't choke down even to be polite. Tripe is another.

      Delete
  7. That sushi looks wonderful! My daughter introduced me to it years ago and I love it. I'm fortunate enough to have one of the best Asian restaurants in the state only a few miles from my home and theirs is top flight. My wife is not a fan, but when my daughter is in town, it's our go-to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For many years, our only option was 100 miles north but about 10 years ago, one opened up in a town nearby and it was okay. Then several more opened up including one where I live and it is quite good. The one we like 100 miles north is still better but not overly so to make it worth the long drive.

      Delete
  8. I have not tried sushi, not sure I would like it! It looks pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if the vast majority of people would start their sushi experience by eating ones with preserved or cook seafood in it, they would love it. The sashimi or raw fish sushi however is definitely not for everyone.

      Delete
  9. Holy smokes! That is gorgeous! It looks as wonderful as what we get in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment