Joshua Harvey Smith


 Oh to be a fly on the wall at the time of this article printed in the Cedar Falls Gazette on 16 Dec 1902. Joshua Harvey Smith, my 4th great grandparent, had a picture taken of his entire family and how do I wish I had a copy of it or at least could see it if it still exists. 

J. H. Smith was born in Pennsylvania and according to many unsourced trees on the internet, his line goes back a couple more generations to my 6th great grandfather who fought in the Revolution. But Smith is as  you might guess, a very common name and without records, I am loathe to take anything I read on the internet as gospel. But I do have records from J.H. Smith after he moved to Iowa and through the descending generations. 

Though I have records, I know very little about the man. Through his obituary, I know he came to Iowa at 17 years old and was a school teacher. However, none of the census records list him as such and he is always listed as a farmer. So I'm guessing, he was most likely both. At the latter, he was evidently successful as he always owned his own farm free and clear which wasn't always the case. 

Four years after his arrival, he met and married his wife Ellen Jamerson and together they would have eight children, five of them living to adulthood and the family reunion mentioned in the article above.

He lived a long life though he contracted some sort of cancer at the age of 81 and spent the last year of his life in bed devoutly praying for his pain to be removed from his body while three of his daughters saw to his every need. He would die in the spring of 1916 and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery along with a whole passel of my relatives from several different lines of my family tree and I have visited his grave a number of times over the years. It is near that of his son-in-law and my 3rd great grandfather, Bertram, whom I have written about before on here. He was a woodworker who suffered a kickback from a saw he was using and had a board puncture his abdomen and kill him at the young age of 44, 15 years before the death of J.H. Smith. Bertram's wife and J.H. Smith's daughter would outlive her husband by another 30 years after successfully raising the five living children to adults. She never remarried.

Although not really relevant to the story of Joshua Harvey Smith, his line is one of three Smith lines I have in my family tree and not related to the other two lines... at least as far as I can tell. the Joshua Smith family are blue bellied Yankees and the other two Smith lines are deep rooted Virginia families. And if truth is to be told, the other two Virginia Smith families are actually the exact same Smith family and the source of the only loop I have found within the branches of my tree. The parents of my great grandmother Smith were actually second cousins, whether they knew that or not and why my 5th great grandparents John L. and Barbara Driver Smith are listed twice in my family tree of direct ancestors.


Comments

  1. You sure find the details. Odd that your GG4 died not long before my GG1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think about it, it really isn't all that unusual. Most couples have 20 years of productivity which can about cover one generational gap. So it would just take a few generations of being from the last child born and there could be a large gap between lines. Also, I'm one generation younger than you so that counts for some of that gap.

      Delete
  2. Ed, I always have a pleasant smile and chuckle when I read such articles from long ago. Even into my childhood, I still remember those sort of homey articles appearing from time to time. That sort of thing has all been relegated to social media now, or even is simply invisible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local paper at the farm used to have similar articles. Then it got condensed into a single weekly column and then through mergers and changing generational habits, that column has pretty much disappeared. My ancestors fill up an entire filing cabinet of news clippings and sadly, I can only think of a handful of times I actually made the paper and all due to high school sports reporting.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy all those old articles and the immense amount of detail. Having a Smith line makes it tricky to find the correct people, even with locations and birth/death dates. I have a similar issue with my Scottish lines; although rare here, my dad's last name is very common in the United Kingdom and they tended to use all the same names: John, James, and Robert particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several lines that end in England not because there aren't any records but because I can't pick my ancestor out of a half dozen with the same name that live in the same area.

      Delete
  4. I just read the funniest news story from 1938. A man walked into a morgue to take a look at a body and said that the identification was wrong because "that ain't me." He then walked back out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy those sorts of articles which would never make a newspaper today.

      Delete
  5. Reading that clipping brings back memories of a whole different era of newspaper reporting, particularly the "society" pages. Sometimes I miss that. (but not enough to use Facebook, which I guess is a modern day version of the grapevine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least back then, the articles were written by a third party. With Facebook, the first party does the writing and so it can be heavily biased in what is actually reported.

      Delete

Post a Comment