Canvasing

Pagudpud, Philippines

When we moved into this house a decade ago, we decided to go a different route to decorate the walls. All the various purchased art stayed in boxes still stored in our basement and instead we decided that only our own art would hang on the walls. For my wife, that mostly means paintings but for me, that means hanging up enlargements of photos I have taken or created. In my office, I have made enlargement of various maps that I love to visually look at. Upstairs, I have a couple black and white ones I took in my youth and the one seen below. All of these are printed on canvas using an online printing service called Canvas Press (https://www.canvaspress.com/) If you goolge Canvas Press instead of using a link be very careful as there are two or three other canvas printing places listed ahead of Canvas Press in the search results and I have been fooled before.

My wife has two patient rooms at her office in need of some decorating and so we decided to carry over the artwork rule to those as well. But Canvas Press is pretty expensive when paying full price for such large artwork, in this case, 48 inches wide by 36 inches tall. The nice thing though is that they have a discount going on about once a month. Most of the time it is 50% off but once or twice a year they have deeper discounts up to 85% off. The last time it was 85% off, I ordered a copy of the one below which hangs above our stairway and we gave it to my wife's uncle as a wedding gift since he really liked it whenever he visited. So I've been waiting for another discount and recently, a Valentines discount of 75% was advertised and so we ordered these two prints. 

The are both bright and of my wife's native land which will give the patients something to admire while waiting and perhaps see something meaningful to my wife to enhance the doctor/patient relationship. I would like to order more for our walls but want to hold off. Perhaps another picture will come along that is just right and fits a space more appropriately than those I have already taken. It gives me something to look forward too.


Baguio City, Philippines
 

Comments

  1. I applaud the fact that you decided upon personal art work for your house. By the way, may I ask what kind of doctor your wife is? Is she a general practitioner of perhaps a psychotherapist? Great photo of Baguio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed I appreciate you sharing this as I've been thinking about having a couple images put on canvas for my apartment. Man I love the idea of a 3 x 4' print! Anyway, love these two images above, particularly Baguio City. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a 3' x 4' print is a STATEMENT when hung on a wall, especially when on two of our walls we have two of those sizes place side by side with a small gap in-between to cover one picture. It certainly grabs everyone's attention when they stop by for a visit and people love to look at all the various aspects of it, especially the bottom one of the houses on the mountainside.

      Delete
  3. Ed, you have shown the lower picture before. Such vivid colors.

    I have found with most "things" I am interested in, they inevitably run a sale or discount periodically. I just have to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did back when I first got it made for our living room. Yes, it certainly pays off to have things in the "want" category and not in the "need" category. I've had both pictures processed and loaded up into my account on the website for awhile now and was just waiting for that big discount to arrive.

      Delete
  4. Those canvas prints have always intrigued me. However I have a cheap camera, and so....

    My daughter is lending me her old Iphone 7. She tells me that it takes better pictures than any camera I've ever had. So...perhaps there's hope. Perhaps I'll be able to use Canvas Prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those were taken with my dSLR camera but I know that with an iPhone 7, you should have no problems taking a photo with enough resolution for even those sized canvas enlargement. The key is to do a little post processing with software to adjust the contrast and brighten things up a bit. However, I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to and iPhone 12 and it does even better with those things and I rarely export photos for further software touchup. I probably could but I'm more of a purist when it comes to touching up photos and dislike those that are created to look like something you never would see naturally.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures, especially that second one! I haven't tried putting any pictures on canvas but I have produced several photobooks, and it's always rewarding to see my work in "finished" printed form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have created several using Shutterfly and like you alluded to on your recent post, it is a LOT of work creating them. I would like to do more but just haven't found the time to sit down and organize everything.

      Delete
  6. I remember that lower photo and absolutely love it! It would make an excellent jigsaw puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would. Perhaps that would be a good pasalubong (filipino gift given by the traveler upon their return) gift for my filipino family the next time we return.

      Delete
  7. I agree 100%. Those are beautiful and meaningful. Much of my art was done by my very gifted older daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a hall dedicated to the works of our daughters though the oldest one has pretty much given up on art. The youngest one, however, shows signs of being really gifted when it comes to art so who knows what the future will bring.

      Delete
  8. Those are lovely and colorful. They will really stand out and keep you engaged. Thanks for the info about Canvas Press. I have a few things I would love to have blown up to put on our walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you could simply enlarge them and put on your walls. It would be much easier than gluing all those blown up pieces back together.

      Delete
  9. I love these. My wife did something similar with a photo our son took during a trip to Ireland the two of them made a few years ago. I was dubious about it, that the quality would be lost when blown up so large. But like yours, it turned out beautifully. You have given me an idea for a future Christmas present. Thanks for link to the website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even with the cheapest of cameras today, there is more than enough resolution to enlarge as long as the photo is nice.

      Delete

Post a Comment