The Finish Line


My wife can be impatient at times. I am nearly daily asked if IT is done yet when we both know it may be well into next year before it will be completely done. I know she really isn't referring to that but is actually referring to when she can start moving stuff into the greenhouse side of it. So with that in mind, I made use of a spectacular sunny Saturday, the last one in October and possibly the year, to build the benches inside the greenhouse. 

The were a fairly simple build with the structure made out of 2x4's screwed to the walls and topped with plastic deck boards. That was my first experience with plastic deck boards and I must say, I'm not a big fan. They were all over the map in length, which I didn't discover until I had carried them all down the hill and into the greenhouse. That meant that they didn't line up with the support I had carefully measured and placed at eight feet from each wall. They were also not the easiest to fasten down with the blind fastening system they came with. It might be just the brand since these were basic ones from our local big box store because that is where they have them in stock. But in the end, I guess they look nice.

I was able to recycle the plywood that came as a protective sandwich for the polycarbonate roof panels and turn them into the dividing wall between the halves of the building. They are scarred up a bit and two different thicknesses but are adequate for the task at hand. Eventually we are going to paint them with some leftover house paint and perhaps enlist our kids to paint a mural of some sort on it with even more leftover paint. Then I plan to install a garden sink on that end plumbed up to a rainwater catching system from gutters I still need to install. All that won't happen until next year.

But when I got the benches installed, I ceremoniously gave my wife the keys to the door and she started moving things in immediately. I know the question of is it done yet will subside for awhile, at least until she needs water in the spring.

Comments

  1. It sure looks beautiful from inside and it's impressive how you don't let materials go to waste. And... how cool it's going to be two rooms! Really nice work Ed. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My options were to either cut the plywood into small pieces and dispose of it through the normal trash system over a period of months or pay to dump it at the landfill or hang onto it until I can find a use. The latter option seemed the best since I could come up with a use right away.

      Delete
  2. Interesting feedback on the plastic deck board Ed, thanks for sharing. I know it is quite the rage as a "recycled" material.

    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clips are plastic and very cheap feeling and don't seat into the slots very securely. I'm sure if one went with a more expensive system, they would probably be better but Menards basic, which is what I got, is not what I would recommend for an entire deck.

      Delete
  3. Well , it's certainly very bright in your new greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't, I would have to figure out what I did wrong!

      Delete
  4. Yes, in the end it DOES look nice. Very nice! Good job, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy wife, happy life, and she has much to be happy about with such a handy husband as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she still keeps me around so I guess that is a good thing!

      Delete
  6. Great work! As a formerly impatient wife, I can relate to your wife's desire to move stuff in and start using it. It's hard when someone else is doing the work and has control of the project! I was no help to my late husband; possibly my nagging was encouragement for him to finish things? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nagging certainly is a form of encouragement because I could answer, "No, it isn't done but I did get XYZ done today!"

      Delete
  7. Good move on your part to get it to where she can move some things in. I’m sure the key ceremony was moving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uuummm... I can sympathize with your wife. I remember being sliiightly impatient too when Art was renovating our house in Illinois so many years ago. It took 7 years. He wasn't retired then, but there were a ton of friends who would come and help whenever they could on the weekends. So compared to Art, you are working really, really fast and we are loving seeing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell my wife there is a lot of thinking that I need to do before starting a project like that and while it might not seem obvious, I think it really pays off in the end when things go fairly smoothly.

      Delete
  9. I am looking forward to seeing what your wife puts on those benches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is just a bunch of extra plants they want to winter out in a sheltered area. Next spring, the aim is to start a bunch of things for the garden before the weather outside is warm enough to let us plant things.

      Delete
  10. After all that devoted hard work work for your boss, I hope she will give you a suitable reward such as a romantic candlelit dinner when the kids have gone to bed, followed by a foot massage with aromatic oil. (Perhaps you can read this comment to her in case she hasn't thought of rewarding you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did go out for a late sushi dinner last night to celebrate the end of another coinciding project. I suppose that will have to count.

      Delete
  11. And when you handed your wife the keys did you say, "TA DAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

    This is really great, way fancier than our little place. I just feel like it should come with a 'TA DAAAAAAAA!!!!'

    PS: We haven't got our rainwater catch system done yet either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't. I know my limits!

      I would be interested in what you have in mind for a rainwater catch system. I'm thinking about one that will gravity feed through the sink and then out through the drain but it will mean a high platform behind the building.

      Delete
    2. Right next to our garage is a playhouse that the previous owners built for their kids. It's about 8 feet off the ground. We plan to install a gutter system that will feed into that, which will feed into the greenhouse. We don't have a sink or anything. We would just have it hooked up to a hose. The floor is decking, so the excess water will run out under the greenhouse. That's the plan anyhow. Right now, anyway. Tim might fall asleep thinking about it and wake up with a whole 'nuther plan.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I'm in the thinking stage too. Fortunately I have some time to ponder before I need to implement.

      Delete
  12. They do look good despite the pain of installation. In fact, it all looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason, my comments are not always appearing here... But you do good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been receiving them but have comment moderation turned on and haven't been able to check it as often as I normally do.

      Delete

Post a Comment