T-Shirt Blanket


 Last year we helped clean out the farm closets of some of my mom's clothes. Some we sold for a pittance at a garage sale this spring, the bulk we gave to Goodwill, but we still ended up with a sack of personalized T-shirts that others wouldn't be interested in but meant a lot to my mom. I wasn't sure about what to do with them at the time but kept them in a sack in the basement. 

By chance, a friend of mine posted a Facebook post on a T-Shirt quilt she had made for someone else and I seized the opportunity to ask if she would do the same for me. She was done for the winter but promised to add me to her list the following winter after her garden was done for the year. Well that time arrived and you can see the results above. 

I didn't end up with enough for a quilt but if we used some of the backs (or fronts) with no writing or uninteresting writing and mixed it in with the rest, she had enough for a large throw blanket so that is what I signed up for. I picked it up last week when I got the call and brought it home. 

I'm not much of a blanket person but the girls really like snuggling up under blankets this time of year while watching movies so I know it will be used a lot. Our oldest daughter who has lots of memories of her Grandma, I think also appreciated the fact that these shirts had belonged to her and she remembered her wearing this one and that. 

Comments

  1. Ed, that is a popular thing on the Highland Game circuit as well (because you get a t-shirt at every game). It is a great way to reuse the t-shirts and have a meaningful memento of a person or experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've unfortunately always worn my out as work shirts around home.

      Delete
  2. Aw man, I love it! Ed--this is really cool. What a great idea, what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful keepsake! I have a blanket of some of my old tee-shirts. I have plenty for another one too since I collect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had old tee-shirts that were good enough to do such a thing too when I was done wearing them.

      Delete
  4. That was a lovely thing to do with those T-shirts. The end result is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls really love it and have used it a few times already.

      Delete
  5. I love it! What a great idea, and a great way to preserve memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. It brings me joy to see my girls huddled underneath those memories.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! I really love this. What a fabulous idea! For your daughters, it will be like snuggling up and being hugged by grandma's love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use some favorite t shirts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice way to remember your mom. My late husband never learned to sew with a sewing machine and one day he decided to make a quilt out of all his old company tshirts. He refused to listen to me about squaring them up and putting them together and instead started whip stitching the whole shirt to another whole shirt, and on and on. It is the strangest tshirt "quilt" with crooked seams, holes, open necklines and dangling sleeves, and it is large enough for my full size bed. It makes me laugh every time I pull it out and will become a family heirloom, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story. My closest run-in to sewing is when my wife attempted to make a baby quilt for her brother. She kept getting the thread into tangled knots and eventually, I had to finish it. Neither of us have touched the sewing machine since.

      Delete
  9. That is pretty creative thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think my comment went awry. I was just saying it was creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great idea for t-shirts! Very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be enjoyed for many years to come.

      Delete
  12. You really see what your mom was all about by the shirts in this blanket. What a nice memory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very neat idea! And it helps keep her memory alive for your girls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment