Jarhead

 


The backstory.

I had just finished up with fitting out our new walk-in pantry when news of Covid in Seattle hit the news. It just hit me that there may be a long period of shut down just like in China occurring here so my wife and I both went out to two different stores that day and stocked up on shelf stable foods. We filled out pantry completely up in one day. As it turned out, it wasn't a week later when our grocery store was nearly emptied by frenzied people stocking up and it would be months before it returned to a fully stocked condition. I was fortunate in that instance though neither of us thought to stock up on toilet paper. Live and learn.

I should have made the connection that with more people stockpiling food, that it might cross over into canning supplies for gardens but I didn't. By the time our garden was producing that year and I decided I needed to get some more jars and lids, they were completely sold out and would remain that way for the rest of the year. I filled every single jar we owned and would have filled up more if I had them. I think it was eight months later in the garden off season when I started seeing jars and lids on the shelves again and so I decided to stock up. They last forever and with an orchard started and more things being grown in our garden all the time, I knew I would eventually use them.

The new jars sat in boxes piled next to my old shelves for another year before I finally decided it was time to do something about it. So I went to my lumber yard to pick up a stack of pine 1"x8"x8' boards only to find out that they only had a handful and every single one was split, shaped like a U or cupped like a rainbow. So I ended up getting a couple 1"x10"x10' boards and a stack of 1"x8"x6' boards. The latter, I didn't know they even carried such an odd length (probably why they were in stock) and they were more efficient to use since my new shelf was going to be three feet wide. The 10" wide boards were overkill and cost me more but saved me another trip at some indeterminate time in the future when they finally restocked their supply. I ripped them down to size and got to work.

Above you see the new canning shelf set into place. The original shelves I built to hold quart or pint jars but we rarely use quart jars anymore. The new one I built for pint jars only. For some reason, by the time I got out to the garage to start building, the height of it grew two inches in my head so it was too tall and I had to "adjust" the height as you can see in the top picture by cutting off the top. But I got it in place and screwed to the wall and unloaded all the boxes of jars. I then empties the other shelves of empty jars and moved them over to the new shelf as well and then organized everything we had so it was all grouped together in kind. 

So our garden season is done for this year and all those new jars will just remain that way until next summer but they are there and I know someday, they will be filled with things that we preserved from our orchard and garden. It is also comforting to know that if another pandemic comes our way, we won't starve for awhile. Messy behinds are a possibility but empty stomachs won't be.


Comments

  1. That looks nice... I built a pantry in our basement, but not nearly that tall (and I used wire shelves). It has been fun trying to find lids and jars, but most of our garden went into a freezer (and since we have a whole house generator, we can survive an ice storm). Good woodwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A better freezer situation is on my list of things to accomplish but it will probably wait awhile as lead time and prices are out of whack right now.

      Delete
  2. Ed... who are you? This is truly amazing, incredible. We canned at the end of every summer (until 1985 when my parents sold their farm). I wish my dad could see your setup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I don't mind canning food even though it is a lot of work. I don't think I always felt that way though.

      Delete
  3. What a great pantry! Luckily I had some jar and lids saved up for jam and jelly. I had a friend who went to freezing instead in any old glass container with a lid. I need to replenish my supply of lids but they are scarce:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have our freezer completely full, too full for much garden produce. I would like to change that sometime in the future.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely collection of canned food! I still have my 48 roll package of Costco toilet paper for back up, as well as 2 handheld bidets so I'm not as worried about TP as I am about shortages of other items. Having lived through the gas shortages of the '70s, I'm terrified about that and don't complain too much about high prices. I would rather that than gas stations with signs "NO GAS."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a bidet seat on one of ours and I'm a veteran of camping with no toilet paper so I know I would survive. But I still prefer to have plenty just the same.

      Delete
  5. That is a beautiful setup. (even with empty jars!) I wish I could get inspired to can again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our new kitchen with no microwave blocking the cooktop and an exhaust fan that can pull all that hot steamy air out, makes it a lot more fun.

      Delete
  6. I read about American "preppers" and "survivalists" but never thought I would actually meet one online! And as for toilet paper, it is not really necessary. All you need is a bucket of water and a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't consider myself one. In fact, if it ever gets to where it is needed, I sort of hope I was taken out in whatever precipitated the need. But I do like my own produce over store bought and so I do a lot of canning.

      Delete
  7. Whoa, what beautiful shelves! I wish you lived next door to me and I would ask you to build some custom sized ones for me! I am getting into Korean Natural Farming techniques and am using a whole bunch of glass bottles, different sizes for the different formulas and the stages they go through. I really need shelves because the bottles are taking over on my counter space and would love to go on shelves and be housed neatly and beautifully like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to make some kimchi and other similar things someday but just haven't done so yet.

      Delete
  8. Wooooow!!!! That is totally impressive. In Hawaii, that would be the perfect hurricane supply shelving although people always empty the toilet paper aisle first. But we would probably fill the shelves with cans of spam (not us), vienna sausages, ramen packages, water bottles, etc. Your shelving with the uniform bottles are so pretty and organized. What an awesome feeling that must be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our walk in pantry has the spam, ramen and bottled water. Unfortunately, nobody in my family is a fan of Vienna sausages but we do have a good supply of corned beef.

      Delete
  9. Those shelves are absolutely perfect and a delight to admire! I have yet to figure out how to manage my empty jars, but if each jar had a spot on my shelves, that would help a lot.

    Having a well-stocked pantry is such a sensible idea. It's not all about some hollywood-esque end-of-the-world scenario, it's just prudent because we never know what life will throw at us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you recall, I built a small shelf for our pantry upstairs and I try to keep it stocked from these shelves downstairs. Then as we use it up, I haul the empties down to the basement and bring more full jars back upstairs. A lot of trips but it keeps the bulk of everything down in the basement out of sight.

      Delete
  10. That's a very neat and impressive shelving unit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That has to be a good feeling, just to look at your well stocked pantry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment