Vacation Recap: Part 1

 In the time of Covid, we have been limiting our vacations to ones where we can self contain ourselves in a vehicle versus flying with many others. So we have been crossing off some long road trips that would have been further down our list of things to go see had times been different. One of the things my wife has always wanted to see was Savannah, Georgia and so that became our goal for this trip. But as I stared at maps looking over routes, it became clear that we could combine other things into this trip since we would be already nearby.

But two days before we were set to leave, Tropical Storm Elsa made her presence known and apparently was heading for many of the same destinations as we were. Fortunately however, at the time we were packing up getting ready to leave, she was visiting a couple days after us so we decided to proceed with the trip but with some alternatives in case she sped up her arrival or we got delayed.


Our first official stop was going to be to visit with my brother at his house in Alabama but since he was away fighting wildfires, we didn't push to make the 12 hour drive all in one day and instead swung a bit wide and ended up in Tupelo, Mississippi our first afternoon. Although not high on my list of things to see, it seemed a shame to waste the opportunity so we drove to see Elvis's birth home (after the museum and other activities on site had closed for the day) and just walk around the area now preserved. 


Even at six in the evening, it was still blazing hot out so we didn't linger long unless under some shade. The above statues show the progression of Elvis from a boy to man.


The next day being Sunday, we were looking to find a church along our route and found the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament seen above. I had no idea of the significance of it or Mother Angelica who founded it but it meant a lot to my mother-in-law and so it made her day. We attended mass, walked around a bit and then hit the road towards my brother's house. Although he wasn't there, his wife was and so we planned to spend the evening celebrating the 4th of July with her.


I received this in a meme and couldn't help but think of Yorkshire Pudding

We spent the day with my sister-in-law who fed us and allowed us to stay for the night in her guest room and the bedrooms of her two adult children who no longer stayed there. The girls swam themselves out in their swimming pool and I helped her shoot off a small fireworks display purchased for the occasion by my brother who couldn't ended up being gone on a fire detail. All in all, it was a good start to our vacation.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you were able to work around Elsa without having to cancel your plans. I don't know that I've ever been to Tupelo. I've never been to Graceland, either, for that matter. While I like some of his music and think he was super talented (and from what I've read, a really nice guy), I've never been the greatest fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of in the same boat. I like some of his music and he definitely had talent but I've never been one to idolize someone so much that I had to make a special effort to see where they were born or lived.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a lovely start indeed and I love that you combine many activities and stops en route. It's what we always did on road trips also. I too have wanted to visit several places in the south--but not in this weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't too bad. We did a lot of our driving during the heat of the day and did exploration in the evenings and mornings.

      Delete
  3. Ed I enjoy your driving vacations, what super pics! My middle sister is an Elvis nut and has seen Graceland and his childhood home a lot, but she has never sent us those sculptures of the King, very 😎!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular statue was up a hill well behind the museum in a park across the street. Since it involved climbing a lot of stairs to reach, I doubt it gets visited as often as the statues that are near his actual birth home. Since we were there after closing hours, we were just looking to stretch our legs a bit and so found it quite by chance.

      Delete
  4. I loved Elvis when he first came on the scene. I was 13, and idolize is what young teens do. Once everybody else loved him, I looked for other heroes. Cliff and I visited Graceland, which was interesting even if you never liked Elvis. It was fun seeing his house... it wasn't nearly as big as I would have thought. Cliff and I enjoyed the collection of some of his cars, and liked touring his airplane. I had a lot more fun there than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the pictures, I assume it is a lot like the Whitehouse, not nearly as big as we tend to imagine it is. But in it's time, I'm sure it was quite grandiose.

      Delete
  5. You can see so many diverse things within driving distance. I know it's not close driving distance, but you know what I mean. Even if I don't. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we start talking about going to one destination, it seems terribly far to drive just to see one thing. But when you start stringing together things along the way, it actually becomes quite tolerable and the distances don't seem so far.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great beginning to your vacation! I love the shot of the girls in the pool. Sounds like a perfect July 4th celebration to me: family, fun, fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it turned out well considering it was my phone... AND I had walked into the pool earlier that day with it in my pocket and only remembered after it had been submerged for 20 seconds or so. Fortunately the phone survived (Thanks Apple!) and was able to take that picture later.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing Ed. I have never been to Mississippi at all.

    My parents, being of that generation, had a number of his albums. I actually remember watching him perform his concert in Hawai'i (on the television, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit, especially since I think you are probably quite a bit closer than I. I think this is my only my second stop in the state.

      Delete
  8. I love how you share your travels with us, Ed. You all always find such interesting tidbits of culture and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it because I am always fascinated by other cultures and history. I have always thought if I didn't have a family, I would probably be driving around in a conversion van with a bed in the back exploring the world and writing about what I see. Kind of like William Heat-Least Moon.

      Delete
  9. Wednesday night with Elsa in Savannah was rough! I got off work at 10pm and even with a rain coat on I was totally soaked and had water in my boots. Hopefully you missed that part. Otherwise, I hope you enjoyed your time here! From River Street all the way back to Forsyth Park are the best parts of the city. Tours about the city's history are very enlightening also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I imagined it would be kind of rough and fortunately by then, we were in SE Virginia. We did end up seeing the remnants of Elsa pass over us there but by then, it was mostly just bands of rain and a slight breeze.

      Delete
  10. Isn't there a third statue of Elvis at Tupelo? It could have portrayed his bulkiness in the last period of his foreshortened life. Sounds like a great road trip and it was nice of your sister-in-law to accommodate you even though your brother was not at home. Looking forward to Part II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably saw a dozen statues of various stages of his life during our shortish walk around the area. I'm sure there were many more around town. I didn't take pictures of all of them and not all were in great lighting so I just posted the one.

      Delete
  11. Nice looking pool! Fun to see the Elvis home and statues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely nice having a swim in our own private pool while celebrating the occasion.

      Delete
  12. Looks like it is going well. Safe travels and hope that Mother Nature continues to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great road trip, Ed, and welcome to the South!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness that Elsa did not hamper your trip. I would have loved to see Tupelo. I didn't know Yorkshire pudding was a popover until a trip we took to Europe a few years ago. I though it was some kind of American type pudding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment