The Veggies of Our Labor

Finally, I'm getting to the good part of last trip to the farm with scenes from our harvest. Above is a shopping bag full of green beans (unseen on the bottom), tomatillos and a handful of okra. One of my favorite things to make with tomatillos is enchiladas verdes. 

The cherry tomatoes are really starting to turn but I was really surprised to see four nearly ripe regular tomatoes as well. I picked those to finish ripening on our counter and will hopefully make some sandwiches out of them.


 Our potatoes are done for the year and the plants all dried up. We were spent so we dug the row that we have been pulling the potatoes out by hand for several weeks (easily due to the muddy conditions earlier) and still came up with nearly a bushel. We will probably dig the second row on our next trip. 

Also, I didn't take a picture but I tilled up enough of where our spring stuff had been planted (mostly beans that never grew) to plant a couple more rows of beans. I've never planted anything in a garden in July so I don't know how they will fair. But we had the seeds and the space so it seemed prudent to experiment.

Comments

  1. Great pictured Ed, look at those peppers & tomatoes! I'm very sorry things have been a struggle this season but I still envy you & your bounty! :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing tastes better than fresh from the garden!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an interesting experiment - especially as days are now shortening quite noticeably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many things that probably won't produce as they are just getting started and it is already August!

      Delete
  3. I've never used tomatillos. So you make a salsa verde with them to use on the enchiladas? I love a homegrown tomato sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We just finished a batch. I roll up some shredded chicken and monterrey jack cheese in a tortilla and top with a sauce of roasted tomatillos, peppers and garlic all blended up and bake. We also just make a salsa out of them just like we would with red tomatoes and eat with chips.

      Delete
  4. That is a great looking harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking bounty!
    I'm a fan of succession gardening. Now I do it indoor with my aerogarden and the Kratky method. I often look at Baker Creek for a packet of seeds to experiment with. 🍀 If I had a balcony, the things I would grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do some succession gardening just to lesson the perseveration work later on and occasionally to lesson the risk of a total crop failure.

      Delete
  6. It's the best part of gardening! What a beautiful bounty! I do miss my garden this year, but I did manage to put in four zucchini plants and some kale. Your second planting of beans should do fine - at least the ground is warm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have had some bad seed as there were some up already the last time we were down but it was very sparse. I should know for sure the next time we head down.

      Delete
  7. Super impressive Ed!

    I am noodling with the idea of starting a second round of planting as soon as the beans and black eyed peas finish. As you say, why not experiment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeds are cheap so it is no big loss if it fails. The knowledge gained is priceless.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. They were delicious and sadly all gone now.

      Delete
  9. I love seeing beautiful harvest photos like this. I know your garden had a somewhat worrying start, but this removes all doubts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts will still be failures but at least we have had some successes. Tomatillos and kohlrabi have definitely been successful experiments that will probably carry on into next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment