Monday, July 24, 2017

The Rest of the Story


Last week I was blogging about a project that I'm working on to level out a bed for my lilac bushes I planted at the end of the drive and also straighten up what I refer to as the trash heap for pavers around the drain pipe that carries water underneath my driveway. I forgot to take a before picture but I think it is pretty obvious when you see this picture what it looked like before even though I'm already underway with the project.

My aim is to continue with the retaining wall and replace the loose pavers over the top of the drain tile before ending the wall. All the loose pavers I'm thinking about recycling and creating some sort of wing walls on either side and making perhaps a couple of ledges to neaten the who thing up so that it looks planned instead of a trash dump.

Finally I need to mulch the lilacs and rethink my deer protection system for them. This is the first year they have started propagating through their root system and I suspect next year the will start propagating underneath their caged boundaries increasing their chances of getting munched on or mowed off. I've read that deer won't eat lilac bushes but the deer around here already eat a number of things, especially on dry years like this one, that the internet says they won't touch. I'm not ready to chance it just yet. I may put one big fence around them for a few more years until they are more established and then perhaps I might see how things go.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I like the look of paver stones. Where I live, there are millions of stones - ergo, the two gravel pits on my road. I just keep a pile going of the bigger ones and add them to my hillbilly walls in the front. The deer do not touch my lilacs, but that may be because they are too busy eating my lilies and willows...

Kelly said...

At this point in time, we have far too many dogs for the deer to get close enough to the house to eat what we've planted. We've certainly battled them (and bunnies) in the past, though. Amazing the damage both creatures can do!

Paver stones certainly look nicer than the concrete blocks we seem to have everywhere.

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I have no advice or comments to share about deer or lilacs (although they are pretty flowers) since I have zero experience with either. But I do like pavers as they clean things up nicely. You're the third or fourth person I know of who is working on some kind of retaining wall this summer. :)

Ed said...

Susan - I would love to do stone and mortar walls but where I am, natural stones are in short supply and expensive.

Kelly - My parents never had problems with deer when I was growing up due to dogs. Now that all the dogs are gone, they have to battle them as well.

Pumpkin Delight - I wish I had done it earlier in the spring when the temperatures were more mild and the soil softer!

roth phallyka said...

that may be because they are too busy eating my lilies and willows...


ทางบ้าน