While making the umpteenth trip to the big box hardware store on the opposite side of town, I decided that the time to replace the door in my office/exercise/guest room remodel project was upon me. I had every intention of buying a cheap hollow core pre-primed door to replace the wooden hollow core one that was in there albeit in two pieces hanging together. (A previous occupant had obviously put a shoulder to it with too much force.)
I looked at my choice of doors but out of the corner of my eye, I saw unfinished oak doors in the next rack down and I thought, why hadn't I thought of that. All the furnishings in this room have or will be stained oak when I'm finished, why not make the door to match. It did cost me an extra $70 to go with the door you see above but it is solid wood and it would take a bigger man than me to get a shoulder or any body part through the door panels. So while finishing the interior parts of my Murphy bed, I threw the door on top of some buckets so I can finish both at once and save a bit of time.
This door was only the third door I have installed in my life and really only the second one in my mind. The first door was replacing a door in my prior house during a basement remodel when the old one ended up swinging the wrong way. My brother and father helped me with that door which ended up in frustration as we all had different and 'better' ways of installing a door. At the time, my knowledge base that I have gained through Youtube and weekend home improvement television shows was much more limited and so I let myself be over ruled at times. We ended up getting the door in place but it wasn't in square, never functioned perfectly and thus I try to wipe my brain of that memory.
The second door I ever installed was just a year ago when I replaced my front entry door after residing the house. My knowledge base was much better and I did get it replaced but it wasn't perfect. Since it was a chilly day, I was hustling to try and save heat and didn't get the thing in plumb and had to take everything off and do it a second time. That time went better though somehow, I never got the upper door case piece level, a fact I didn't notice until I went to put the trim on. The door gaps on the left and right side are perfect but the one on top has about an eight of an inch difference and it bugs me when I notice it though I'm sure I'm the only one who has noticed it.
This time, seeing that it was an interior door and I had more time, the pressure was off me. Plus I had actual experience so things went smoothly. I got the door in plumb and level and my gaps are nearly perfect all the way around this time. I kept up a fast pace installing door number two and it took most of a day to get everything installed. This time around, I worked slowly and methodically and got the entire job done in about two hours. It just goes to show that the turtle always wins, even when installing doors. As I wrap up this post, the stain is probably dry on the door and the Murphy bed so it is time to go add the first of three coats of polyurethane and then I can flip the door over and do the other side.