Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Finishing the Finish


I had planned to finish the vanity in place in the bathroom but since I am building the 'treasure chest' for my daughter at the same time, I decided to do both in the garage on the workbench. That has pretty much been a mistake but it is too late to change course. More on that later. As you can see above, I didn't go with any beading on the right frame and panel. Instead I found some decorative wooden trim (not sure what the technical name is) that I've been moving around for about ten years now. It was left in the previous house we bought and I just kept it thinking I might find a use for it. I guess one use was this vanity but I still have three or four 10 feet sticks of it left to use up sometime in the future.

I accidentally used a piece of poplar wood for the wide trim on top instead of the oak I'd planned on using. I had bought the poplar for the drawers and for some reason, didn't have enough oak to cut up anyway so I'm not sure what I was thinking. Anyway, by the time I noticed, the glue was dry and I wasn't going to change it out. Because poplar stains a little darker than oak, it stands out a bit but I don't think it will be so noticeable when everything is in the bathroom and the dark floor tile is in place as a sink counter. Added character I guess. I went with some dark walnut stain that I had leftover from a previous project.

The mistake of doing it in my garage came in applying the polyurethane protective coatings. Normally the stuff takes about 4 to 6 hours to set up enough to sand down with steel wool and apply another coat. But the week I was doing it was the week the midwest was given one rain storm (and occasional tornado too) after another all week long. Instead of the 4 to 6 hours, it took about 48 hours to cure hard enough to sand. That really put a delay in that project but fortunately, my shower door finally was delivered to my door (and intact!) so I was able to work at getting it installed while waiting for finish to dry. I also did lots of touch up painting, painting the door and making a couple trips to the hardware store to get the right fittings to hook up the sink plumbing. Once again I managed to buy a faucet with weird connections and my drain connection in the wall was an off size which necessitated more fittings all around.

Below is a picture showing the drawer fronts of my to be built vanity drawers and the treasure chest I'm building my daughter. Once the polyurethane dries on it, I can attach the brass hardware on it and call it done. It is turning out nice though the inlay I put in the lid doesn't really stand out as much as I'd hoped.


3 comments:

Ron said...

Looking good!

I think it's pretty satisfying to make your own furniture... it ends up being unique, and to your own specs.

roaring40 said...

Barley twist is the name for that beading trim.
That little chest is very neat.

Ed said...

Ron - I don't get to do it very often because making my own furniture always seems to fall towards the bottom of my list of important things to do. Someday I want to do more of it because I really enjoy working with wood.

Vince - Barley twist seems like a logical name. It was a quick project and my daughter really loves it. I will post a picture of the finished thing on here shortly.