Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Legless


I couldn't resist taking a picture of this leg lying in the sand.

Although I never got a picture of them, I did notice for the first time a large number of sea birds along the shore that were missing portions or all of their feet. One poor bird was missing both of his legs below the 'knee' joints but seemed to get along just fine albeit a bit slow compared to his peers. I don't know why so many birds are missing portions of their legs but I'm guessing some fish or other creature below finds them irresistible and bites them off. It was common enough that if I stood and looked at a flock of twenty or so birds, I could usually find one or two of them missing limbs. Other than the initial discomfort of losing them, the birds seemed fine without them. The ones I saw missing limbs seemed well fed and healthy.


No comments: