Monday, December 23, 2013

Siri


Those of you with Apple iphones will recognize that symbol as the way to get in touch with Siri, the automated iphone assistant. It is very much like the bat symbol Commissioner Gordon used to get in touch with Batman but way more powerful. When Gordon turned on the torchlight sending the symbol into the heavens, he had to wait for Batman to show up before asking his question. With Siri, all I have to do is press the button, ask my question and a second later it is answered or a link with the answer shown to me. Pretty nifty.

Although I have Siri on my phone, I don't use her nearly as often as I should. Mostly I guess I just forget about her which is okay because she doesn't mind at all. If I were to forget about my wife's birthday on the other hand, you might find what is left of my hide out back! Still I do use Siri now and then when I think of her. Just last night my wife was commenting on Jewel's boobs which were front and center on the television show Sing-off back for the fourth season. I thought they were definitely done and pressed the Siri button on my phone and told her "Jewel boob job." Siri must have been a little confused because she asked me if I meant Jewel bl@#job...

Back to a family friendly blog if it isn't already too late. My two daughters have discovered Siri and love asking questions though I am a bit afraid that the 7 year old may lose some of her innocence if she keeps it up. Just the other day I heard her ask where babies come from! Fortunately, the iPad she asked it on is locked and needs a password to see the answers and I think I will keep it that way for now.

Even the 1 year old is familiar with Siri. For several weeks now if someone leaves an iPad on the floor, she will go over to it, turn it on, press the Siri button and talk into the speaker. However in all of Apple's wisdom, nobody programmed it for baby gibberish and so Siri often acts confused. The 1 year old doesn't seem to mind and just keeps pressing the button and talking. I think she just like to hear Siri's voice respond. I've been trying to capture a video of this happening but so far have been unable to do so. Everytime I pull my camera out, the 1 year old decides that it is more interesting than Siri and stops.

I am amazed at this technology and its uses if only I wouldn't forget about it. I am however making a mental note that when it is time for the birds and the bees talk to unlock the iPad and just tell my daughter to ask Siri about it. I'm sure whatever she finds on the web will be well informed...

3 comments:

Bone said...

Great post, Ed. I laughed out loud a couple times -- specifically during the Jewel portion of the post, and also at the last paragraph.

Bone said...

PS: You're welcome to join our online Festivus celebration today. https://www.facebook.com/Festivus2013

roaring40 said...

Happy Christmas.

Marvellous how rapidly kids develop.