Monday, November 4, 2013

Bridge City


As I stated in a post a couple weeks ago, I have lived around the river pictured above nearly all my life. But with my last move a year and a half ago, I now live the closest to it I ever have at about two miles up on a ridge near the river. My goal is to eventually live on or within view of the river before I retire from this life.

The town we live on the edge of carries the nickname Bridge City for the reason you see above. Being a town that straddles both sides of the river, by necessity it needs quite a few bridges. In the picture above, I am standing on an old railroad bridge now converted to a pedestrian walkway. Upstream you can see two bridges, a dam and another bridge. Not seen is yet another railroad bridge upstream and another vehicle bridge behind me as I was taking this picture. The picture at the end of the post shows the old train bridge that was my vantage point for taking the first picture.

As I mentioned, we have lived here a year and a half but on this gloomy day that was occasionally spitting rain, this was our first time to walk along the trails along the river. I'm not sure why we haven't done so earlier but I can make a couple excuses. I didn't know they were as extensive or as scenic as they were until recently and it requires a drive just to reach a trail head to get onto it.  Now that I've realized that the drive was well worth it, I will have to walk it more often and in better weather.


2 comments:

roaring40 said...

What I find amazing about Iowa generally when I look at a sat-map are the roads. Rivers have to be bridged, and bridged as many times as is needed. But the roads, jeepers there isn'a corner in the place.
That is the Des Moines isn't it. It would have lots more water if the dams upsteam weren't extracting for the cities needs.
Radar o'Reilly ?.

Ed said...

Vince - Yes it is the Des Moines river. Although most of the dammed lakes upstream are used as sources of drinking water these days, they were mostly built under the guise of flood control with the added benefit of recreational use. These days they keep the levels high for recreational use and thus when we have lots of rain, they can hold very little of it and we still flood out downstream.

If you would like to read up on Radar O'Reilly and how he ended up from Ottumwa on Mash, here is a good article on it.