Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Building Capital

I got the call a week before the hottest week of the year as it turned out, was to begin. Can you help me shingle my roof? I of course put in two half days on the two hottest days of the year helping to shingle one half of the house and last week after a break, I helped finish up the other side. They offered me money but I settled on a lunch after we finished up. It was worth the effort.

I'm a firm believer in helping out thy neighbor and have practiced that my whole life. It makes for a good relationship, builds up my knowledge on how to do things and it builds capital. One of these days I may have a big project that many hands would make quick work of and I can call in some of that capital.  It doesn't always work out that way but in theory. Back when I lived in Minnesota for six years, I helped three people shingle their houses and then got laid off and moved to another state before I ever collected on that capital.

Perhaps most importantly, helping people is just the right thing to do and it makes me feel good doing it. Well mentally that is. Physically I'm still a little sore.

No comments: