Friday, July 19, 2013

Smoked


Kind of on the spur of the moment, we decided we were in the mood for some good BBQ ribs. As you know, with ribs the key is to cook them long and slow in a smoky environment before charring them on a grill which meant that I needed to drag out my smoker. It isn't so bad to drag out but it is a pain to clean up afterwards so I want to get my efforts worth so I told my wife that she needed to make a trip to the store to get some more meat to fill it up. She came back with a second rack of pork ribs, two chickens and a slab of salmon. About five hours later, I pulled the chickens and ribs off, finished off the ribs on the grill with some Cookie's BBQ sauce and fire and put everything out for a photo session.

We ate some of the ribs about ten minutes later and they were lip smacking, meat falling off the bone delicious. Life just doesn't get any better when you have a smoker, a grill, time and a rack of pork ribs.

9 comments:

kymber said...

oh sweet mother of gawd - the blue eggs are really not my thing. those ribs, and those chickens....really are!!! you need to come up here for a visit and do us some bbq! i mean it buddy!

your friend,
kymber

roaring40 said...

Wow that looks good. Does the chicken actually cook all through in the smoker.
Could you do a huge chunk of rump steak.

Ed said...

Kymber - I'm not sure I want to lug my smoker all the way to Canada but I'm positive Jambaloney can rig up one out of spare discards and I would be happy to help do some BBQ when I'm in the area. However, I will probably insist that I keep my clothes on while doing so!

Vince - Yep the chicken cooks clear through. I have an instant read digital thermometer that I use to insure proper temps in the thighs and breasts. I've even done whole turkeys in there. You can smoke any kind of meat in there though I'm not sure you should smoke any kind of meat. I've never done a rump steak or really any part of a cow for that matter other than ribs. But I would certainly try it and see how it goes.

warren said...

Looks great! I love smoked anything pretty much though we usually stick with chickens. Maybe this weekend...

Ed said...

Warren - I love just picking at a cold smoked chicken carcass for lunch. I always equate myself to a doper with the munchies and just can't stop eating.

roaring40 said...

Did a post vanish from my timeline. I thought there was another after this one ?.

I would have great hardship justifying a smoker for just me. You OTOH are building a nice little reason for running it about once every three weeks or so.

Ed said...

Vince - No, I normally post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if I have something written.

I never bought a smoker because it was something I never thought I would use. Then I received this one as a gift and I use it probably several times a year. I would use it more but it does require a lot of tending to change out wood chips every so often to keep it nice and smoky. It also require a couple hours to clean up the mess after every use. Because of all that, I tend to load it completely full each use and freeze the extra meat for later consumption to get my 'time's worth' out of it.

Ron said...

Man, that looks good. I greatly look forward to the day when I build me a smoker. Probably one of the 55 gallon ones I've seen plans and ideas for. Unless I decide I can't live without smoked meat any longer one of these days, and feverishly cobble something together...

Bone said...

Mmmmm!!!!! I need to ship you some Alabama-made white sauce to go with that chicken.