Monday, March 18, 2013

My Retirement

Although I liked being an engineer and loved working around other engineers, it certainly wasn't a particularly gratifying job. It was a job that I was good at and that I enjoyed at times when I was knee deep in a new design. But there were lots of time shuffling paperwork and the ever present office politics that I disliked and could easily do without. So although I was happy enough in my job, I always knew that it wasn't something I wanted to do any longer than I really had too. My goal was to work hard, save up money until I could retire to do those things that I want to do that make me happy all the time and get out.

One of my main goals upon reaching 'retirement' is to start my own business based upon one of my many hobbies that I love to do. I will be my own boss, work at my own pace and above all, work at something that is more gratifying than being just an engineering asset for someone else. Now that I have gotten out of the nine to five crowd, I hope to pursue this goal after I get my youngest daughter off to school.

Some of these hobbies that I wish to explore would be boat building, something I enjoy tremendously and utilized my engineering skills. I also wish to build my own dream house someday when the time is right. I only want to build it once so I need to figure out where I want to spend the rest of my life living before I pursue this dream. I may also explore a custom engineering business model since I worked as an asset for such a firm and enjoyed it tremendously except for the alcoholic I had for a boss. Other things I would like to pursue but not in a business sense are photography, genealogy, woodworking and writing. These are all things I love to do even if I am not particularly gifted at them, but just don't have the time to spend.

Another goal of retirement for me is to address that nagging statement that I find myself saying on many of my vacations. I love this place and would like to explore it more if only I had more vacation time. For me, a week is way to short to fully experience an area. The best vacation of my life which can be found in detail in my blog archives is when I took a month off to explore the depths of the Grand Canyon. The trip itself on the water was only three weeks long and was so relaxing but even on that trip I could have easily doubled or tripled the time and never got bored. Not only is there lots of places to explore here in the States, but I have always wanted to go to a foreign country for two or three months, rent a flat, and explore the town, countryside and culture at my leisure. All this takes time which is at a premium when working for the man.

Some things that I would like to do in retirement are based more upon money than time. Because I save and buy practical cars all the time, I would like to just once, have a frivolous vehicle. It would be a classic muscle car with a big engine, two doors, go way fast and burn through fuel at a fast rate. My house, the one that I want to build, will be larger than I really need. I won't have any more rooms but they will definitely be bigger. I would also like to give a lot of it away to those causes I think are worthy and whom I already give some money too.

But most of all, I just want to wake up in the morning and decide what I want to do with my day.

5 comments:

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sage said...

I think retirement can be pretty excitement and the possibilities are nearly unlimited. One of the fantasies I have had is to buy an old travel trailer and volunteer for a few seasons at some of the out-of-the way national park or BLM campgrounds in the west, spending my days greeting campers, cleaning up the area, with plenty of time to write and to sip coffee and watch the sunrise and set.

btw, my blog feed seems not to be working again...

Ed said...

Sage - I've always had a similar fantasy of copying a page from Edward Abbey's life and volunteering to man a lookout tower in some remote part of a national park where I could write my 'fat masterpiece' as he called it.

warren said...

Some days my job feels like a job while others it doesn't. I own the business so it has two sides to it I guess. Still, I love it 99% of the time so def, do your own thing!

Ed said...

Warren - Well according to several sources I have read, you are probably closer to becoming a millionaire than the rest of us! I think perhaps the biggest joy will be when your business is big enough you can hand over the reins to someone else and just come in once in awhile to check in and pick up some money.