Monday, March 11, 2013

Kitchen Update: So Soon?!

Well after writing that last post on the kitchen revamp project, I searched and found some full extension wire slideouts for cabinets that fit our pantry almost perfectly. When installed, there would be about 1/8 of an inch on each side and an inch in the far back that would be empty space. Considering these were off the shelf items, I thought that wasn't bad and ordered four of them, one for each shelf.

The first two came last Wednesday in a large box and on the following day, I installed them into the pantry. The final two showed up a few days later, shipped from the same place? The install of the racks is really easy. I just set it in place, mark the holes, drill some pilot holes and screw the thing in place. Before that happened though, I had a bit of work to do. The shelving already inside the cabinet wasn't fastened into place and were actually a series of three eight inch boards per shelf. Because the slideouts I bought were full extension, I had to attach the shelves in permanently so that the who works didn't tip when the basket was pulled all the way out. Fortunately I had some proper sized screws and was able to screw them to the cleats that held them at the correct height.

Once I had the slideouts installed, I sorted through the stuff that had been on the shelf and culled a bunch of stuff that was well beyond expiration dates labeled on them. I've eaten some canned goods beyond the expiration date before but some of the cans were five years beyond. I'm not that hungry for a case of botulism! Once I had the remainder of stuff put back, I couldn't believe I had waited so long to do this project. It makes such a huge difference on ones ability to find things and more importantly, know what you have in your pantry. Because we couldn't find anything easily, we often just bought something as we needed it which while guaranteeing you won't have to worry about expiration dates, isn't really conducive to stocking up on stuff that you use often when it is on sale.

So now we once again have a functioning pantry which probably holds more staples than the wide but shallow pantry cabinet we had at our last house. Both my wife and I are happy enough with the results, we have almost decided that we don't want to do anything more to the kitchen or even add onto it. Instead, we would rather put money and time into other rooms of the house or even better yet, save it for a rainy day.

3 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

Your kitchen is wonderful anyway ! Isn't it amazing that one project can sometimes make sure an incredible difference in terms of storage and preparedness ? Glad these worked out well.

Ed said...

Jane - It certainly makes a huge difference and for little capital input. That is my favorite type of project!

Murf said...

*cough,cough*backsplash*cough,cough*

:-)