Friday, February 8, 2013

Talking Turkey


I was downstairs painting kitchen cabinet doors a couple weeks ago when I happen to glance up and see something shocking. There not twenty feet from the walkout door, was a flock of turkeys about twenty strong. I have seen lots of deer, squirrels, chipmunks and other creatures but these were the first turkeys I have seen at the new place. So I did what anyone would do.

I dropped my paint brush and rushed upstairs to grab the camera. Unfortunately it had the wrong lens on it so I had to quickly change that and then snapped a few photos out the windows. Unfortunately the glare and dirt was resulting in bad pictures so I gently and quietly tried to open up the door leading to the deck. Those turkeys were quickly on to me and skedaddled for the woods. I got just one picture of the last of them as they disappeared into the brush. I haven't seen them since.

Notice the lack of snow. This is going on the second year we've had with very little snow. After this picture was taken, we had a four or five inch snow that has long since vanished which makes our total snow for the year at about eight inches. In a normal January, we would get several eight inch snows back before our world started warming up. The 15 or 16 inch snow we got three years ago is the last big snow storm. I'm not complaining (though my oldest daughter is) as long as we get rain to compensate and we don't even get that.

4 comments:

Ron said...

I'd sure love to attract a flock of turkeys here. Last year, a gobbler was down the hill from us.

Looks like a bit of rain your way this morning.

Ed said...

Ron - We only got a little bit here but we got quite a bit a few days ago. Right now, I'll take it however we get it because we need it desperately.

Murf said...

It was only in the last couple of years that I've seen wild turkeys in person. Where I come from, the only form of wild turkey I'm likely to see is in the form of an empty glass bottle. These animals are surprisingly large and surprisingly scary.

You will be happy to know that SE Michigan is right at their normal amount for snow for the season currently. We seem to get 4 inchest at a time before melting so I've also been able to meet my shoveling quota!

Ed said...

Murf - I've had a couple run ins over the years with that kind of wild turkey.