Friday, February 15, 2013

Still Making Lemonade

Last year, we received a lot of lemons in life though I must admit, some of them were self imposed lemons. Never the less, we made lemonade and moved on. Lately though, we got yet another lemon that we've since turned into lemonade.

Baby Abbey has been a chip off the block of her sister and started sleeping through the night already at about 11 weeks old. I can't complain about that. But within days after she started sleeping through the night, she started pooping a little blood. That was almost two weeks ago. Like any parents I supposed, we were immediately concerned and took her to the pediatrician's office the next morning and from there we were sent to the local hospital for a test to make sure her little intestine hadn't slipped inside her large intestine. I guess that is sometimes a side effect of one of her vaccines. The test involved giving her a barium enema which is about as pleasant as it sounds. While her intestines were pumped full of barium, they scanned it with a machine that allowed them to see that her intestines were fine as could be. We went back home.

About four days later, the blood came back and once again we went back to the pediatrician's office that afternoon. We were told to head up to the urban jungle and get her admitted through the emergency room for another test. That test was to make sure that some of her stomach lining didn't get misplaced into her intestines when she was baking in her mama's belly, something that happens from time to time. When it does, the acid from the misplaced stomach cells can erode the intestines and cause problems if not treated and by that, I mean cut out. Needless to say our stomachs were in knots as we made the drive up north.

The emergency room experience wasn't very pleasant to say the least. It took three nurses and seven attempts to find a vein to start an IV on Baby Abbey and she wasn't very thrilled. Big sister Little Abbey had also come along due to necessity and we learned that due to the flu, she couldn't stay with he in her sister's room once she was admitted. So here were were with a sick baby and we had to find someplace or someone to look after our other daughter. Since the test wasn't until the following morning, my wife stayed with the baby and the daughter and I went out into the cold night and found a motel room to stay in.

The next morning, we found a friend to look after Little Abbey and I was able to join my wife and Baby Abbey before the test began. Baby Abbey wasn't allowed to eat for six hours before the test so needless to say, she wasn't a real happy camper. The test involved injecting radioactive dye into her body that adhered to stomach cells so we could see if any showed up in her intestines. It also involved laying unsedated for an hour while they took a continuous picture of what was going on. Fortunately I was able to lull Baby Abbey to sleep for much of the procedure which went smoothly and also showed that she didn't have any misplaced stomach cells.

Three hours later, we finally got the permission to feed a very cranky Baby Abbey again while we waited for one final test. The last test was a baby version of a colonoscopy to see exactly what was going on since none of the serious things that could be wrong were. Four hours later she was taken to a room for that test and despite having a camera shoved up her hind end, she took it in remarkably good spirits. I guess after all she had been through, that test was a piece of cake. This time we finally found an answer to the blood in her stools which hadn't occurred the whole time we had been there.

It is common for babies to have nodules toward the end of their colon that disappear as they grow. She had a few extra than normal and because of that, one had gotten irritated and bled. The doctor said that back in the day, they would have blamed it on dairy and told you to avoid it but these days he said the solution was to just go home and make sure things don't become any worse. They took tissue samples of the nodules just to be sure and like he predicted, those came back normal.

So now a week later, Baby Abbey has yet to pass any more blood and we are getting back into the swing of things. In the last year, we have both switched jobs, switches towns and houses and had a baby that in turn tried to scare the crap (pun not intended) out of us by pooping some blood. Just for once, for maybe a few months or so, I think I would just like my lemonade purchased instead of having to make it from all the lemons.


edifice rex said...

Boy, I feel for you Ed 'cause I know just what you mean. Fortunately, I have not had to worry about a child, which I imagine is horrible, but I've had enough other tragedy and pain this year to do me for a while. It WILL get better!

sage said...

I'm glad she's fine. I remember the time my daughter passed this bright red clumps in her stool and I called the doctor and they had me bring some in for testing (they didn't seem too concerned when I explained things, which at the time was dis-concerning) and sure enough, it was crayon!

JaneofVirginia said...

I am so glad you had this done and ruled out anything ominous. My son has Crohn's disease and knowing this sooner might have permitted better treatment when he was a child. Take a nice deep calm breath, and let it all out now.

malor said...

I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I am glad nothing serious. I haven't been doing any blog hopping nor facebook lately but I thought about reading your blog.

malor said...

FYI I read your posting on GUNS. I totally agree with you.

Anonymous said...

This didn't come into my reader for some reason.
Oh boy, I cannot even get close to what you must have gone through.

TC said...

Man, you have had some major changes. I hope being a SAHD is fun, though :)

And LOL @ Sage.

Bone said...

So glad she's OK, Ed.

Although if one must have a camera shoved up one's nether regions, better it occur when one is a baby.