Friday, January 25, 2013

Creepy Santa Claus

When I get a chance, I have been going through a large box of some of my great uncle's things. I wrote about him last fall when he passed away and have written about him several times in this blog's past. Although most of my family doesn't see a whole lot of value in them with the exception of my mom, I have really enjoyed sifting through the stuff. It gives me insight into my great uncle's youth and turns up nuggets of information that I never knew. I will probably post some more about that in the upcoming weeks or months as I get is scanned into my computer and backed up automatically to some great server farm in the sky.

The above photo is one that I found that I thought was blog-worthy. (As you probably know, it doesn't take much to make it onto my blog!) The picture shows my grandfather and a very creepy Santa Claus. My grandfather obviously looks worried standing next to Santa and I can't say I blame him. It looks like some sort of evil gnome that decided to put on a Santa suit.

My mom has a similar Santa though with a much nicer face to it that she received as a child and I think it may have belonged to my great grandmother at one time. I guess those Santa's were a product of the time. My oldest daughter used to find my mom's Santa disturbing and wouldn't go near the thing. Had she seen the one in this picture, she probably would still be scarred and hating Santa!

6 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

I enjoy your blog. Keep posting. You are the judge of what should make it to your blog !

Ed said...

Jane - Thanks. I've always blogged for myself more than anything which is why I only have a few followers compared to others. I find it very therapeutic.

Murf said...

That is a priceless photo. Have you ever seen any of the old Twilight Zone episodes? There is one that I remember which has a doll that seemed to pop up in strange places as if she was trying to kill the man (such as appearing on the steps right where he was about to step). He tried to take the dolls head off with a woodworking machine of some sort but it didn't work. I could see this Santa being in the roll of that doll.

Ed said...

Murf - I have seen lots of old episodes but that isn't one of them. Reminds me of a more recent USPS commercial where a creepy doll keeps getting closer and closer to the door as he talks to the postal guy pushing 'if it fits it ships' boxes.

Vince said...

You could easily see that fellow bounding out of a German wood from a Grimm tale either following or being followed by a hound with fangs dribbling.
Mind you that chap seems more worried about whoever is off camera than that gnome.

Leigh said...

The photo is great. And all those tidbits are family history. Priceless.