Monday, January 28, 2013

Blue Line of Shame

I can't believe how the time has flown but Baby Abbey turned two months old two weeks ago. She is doing good and is about on the same track as her sister as far as sleeping through the night. Hopefully by the time she turns three month, she will be sleeping through the night like her sister.

Mrs. Abbey is back to work so I am officially a Child Behavioral Modification Therapist also known as the stay-at-home-dad. I must say that I've been enjoying my new roll. When Little Abbey was born, I was allowed only three days off from work and because she was in the hospital for ten days, I used them all up there. So when we got home, it was immediately back to work for me and seeing her only for a few hours in the evening, most of those when she was sleeping. As a result, I missed a lot of her as a baby. With Baby Abbey, I am correcting that huge injustice.

She is still in the stage where after a bottle and some interaction, she likes to take a nap which gives me an hour of time to work on something around the house for two or three hours a day. I'm getting pretty good at cramming that hour with useful work. I'm still working on the kitchen cabinet repainting project but I'm seeing the end of it finally. I am completely done with all the upper cabinets and about two thirds done with the lower cabinets. I love the new look and can't wait until it is completed.

Little Abbey is enjoying life with Baby Abbey and is a big help when she gets home after school. It is fun seeing her relive her babyhood through her younger sister. I'm always telling her factoids about when she was a baby and this time instead of just getting a bored look, she is genuinely interested. New diapers these days have a yellow line inbedded in the them that turns blue when wet. I was telling Little Abbey that this was a new technology and that we just had to manually check when she was a baby. Now we just have to look to see if there is a 'blue line of shame.' That last comment caught on and now it is thrown about quite a bit in our household.

It is funny how many phrases we have come up with referring to Baby Abbey. Little Abbey once said that Baby Abbey had her bright eyes on once when she was awake and wide eyed. That one stuck and it used often. Back in the day when Little Abbey was a baby on car rides, my wife and I would often say that the eagle had landed when she fell asleep on the way to where we were going. It was always nice when that happened because it gave us a chance to talk without interruptions every four seconds. On our way back from the urban jungle last weekend, both eagles landed and we brought out that phrase again for the first time in perhaps three years. It brought back memories.

6 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

I am so glad that you have this opportunity. So many Dads never really get the opportunity to really get to know their children. My father got a chance to get to know me, but my husband has been working for so long that I often think I got the lion's share of the joy with the kids.

edifice rex said...

I'm so glad you want to have the opportunity to spend so much time with your girls! It's so great they will grow up with such a strong, caring male influence. I suspect they will be very successful, happy women.

Ed said...

Jane - Thanks. At the end of the day though, I know this is just temporary until she gets older and then I will have to find something else to keep me entertained.

Edifice Rex - I certainly hope so!

Murf said...

I wonder if they offer this handy blue line in adult diapers.

Ed said...

Murf - I most certainly do not want to know the answer to that question!

sage said...

You have such an official title! I remember all the "little abbey" stories.