Monday, January 7, 2013

A Bigger Sneak Peak


Slowly but surely I am getting there with my kitchen makeover. This is pretty much how it looked like before I left for Florida. Half the cabinets on the other side were missing doors and their carcasses primed white but only this side of the kitchen is finished. We cleaned it up and staged it a bit for a photo shoot. Unfortunately the kitchen is small enough that I can't quite get it all in the photo in a head on shot.

When we bought this place, the refrigerator in the house was a decrepit leaky mess that had seen its better days so when we made our offer, we declined to include it. So we had to buy another refrigerator and we got the one you see above. Our previous refrigerator, which we sold to the buyer of our old house on their request, had French style upper doors and a lower drawer freezer and we really liked that layout so wanted a similar one. Though I was opposed to an ice and water dispenser in the door due to the more moving parts to go wrong, my wife out voted me on it and we got one with those. I must say I like them and use them often but then again, they both still work for now. Also, it does free up freezer space by not having a fifth of it taken up by an ice maker. My only complaint on the refrigerator is that the finish is hard to keep clean and in order to do an effective job, you need special cleaners instead of just soap and water.

This house had double wall ovens and a cook surface instead of a conventional stove. I must say I absolutely love the wall mounted ovens for ease of use and by not having the oven below the cook surface, we can put our pans right below where we use them for easy access. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be hard pressed to go back to that way in the future.

The little alcove if full of of gifts to my wife over the years. The stand mixer was one of the first ones and she had put that thing to good use. It is on its third set of gears that I have rebuilt with over the years. The brass salt and pepper grinders were a fairly recent anniversary gift and the Le Crueset pans are ones that I have bought or picked up at auctions over the years. We love cooking with enamel coated cast iron. In fact, my wife just got her fourth one this Christmas because Santa felt she had been a really good girl this year putting up with all the challenges we've had.

Now that I'm back from Florida, it is full speed ahead on the kitchen before my wife goes back to work and then it will be as fast as I can go during naps by Baby Abbey. That or perhaps I will just learn to paint with her in some sort of sling around me. Either way, it won't be quite as fast as I would like.

11 comments:

Murf said...

It looks great. I would love to have a house with wall ovens (plural) and a cooktop. Big A always says that he knows that he has made it when he finally has a ice and water dispensing refrigerator. Currently we do not. I always thought that it had to be hooked to a water line for those features but judging from your photo, I guess not?

Ed said...

Murf - There is an 1/8" copper line run from the sink cold water supply line up through the floor behind the refrigerator. Big A is right, once you have one you've made it because from what I've heard they continuously break down requiring money to fix!

Ron said...

I promised Mel I'd upgrade the fridge when we moved into the house... but it just keeps on running, so we're still using the $9 fridge 5 years later. One thing I like is that it has a small access door on the fridge part that I never see on new ones... it'll be hard to give that up.

I never hooked up the ice part though. The main issue to me is the mold I've read about, but I'm sure newer ones are better that way.

The paint and handles are looking great. A big change from dark woodgrain.

Ed said...

Ron - I would still have our first fridge if the buyer of our house didn't want it so badly. It worked well for the eight years that I had it. I haven't seen any mold but that is the first I've heard of mold and ice makers. I'll have to google that one.

kymber said...

ack! your kitchen is beautiful! ours is wicked-awful, tiny and no counter space! so of course i am jealous (but in a good way) with yours. i can't wait to see the other side. are those le creuset casseroles on the counter? if so, stop showing off man! bahahahahahah!

your friend,
kymber
(wishing you and yours all of the best in 2013! and with a kitchen like that - how could anything in 2013 not be wonderful?!?!?!? you are doing excellent renovations so far - keep up the good work!)

sage said...

Looking good... I have to confess that with the last two refrigerators, I too have lost the battle over in door ice makers... but I haven't had any problems with them except when the water line to the ice maker to the fridge in Utah sprang a microscopic leak that, by the time it was discovered, required a new kitchen floor

Ed said...

Kymber - Those are le creuset dishes and we have four of them total. Two of them we got for a few bucks at local auctions and two I have bought my wife as gifts over the eight years of our marriage. We love them!I don't think your kitchen is awful unless you are referring to how it looked when you moved in! You and Jam were the inspiration for me deciding to tackle this project.

Sage - I hope we don't lose the battle but sometimes in order to prove your point, you have to let others (in this case my wife's decision) fail.

edifice rex said...

Kitchen looks great!! I just clean my stainless appliances with my homemade glass cleaner (like Windex) and if they need a little polishing a smidgen of olive oil works wonders! I never use those special cleaners for it.

malor said...

Your kitchen looks great. I love Le Creusst. My dream is to have one. They are just darn expensive. I usually look for them in TJ mAxx but I just cannot afford it yet...

warren said...

High falutin'!

woodysrockyridge said...

Looking good friend!