Monday, December 10, 2012

Shattered

Though our kitchen is smaller than the one at our old house and has a lot fewer cabinets to store things, this house has what realtors refer to as a breakfast nook. I'm not sure what the purpose of the breakfast nook is but I suspect that those that do use them probably drink coffee there while reading the morning paper. In this house, the breakfast nook faces the street while just five feet away is the dining room table facing two acres of grass and trees, a much more relaxing view if you ask me. I guess I'm telling you this to explain that if I want to drink coffee while reading the morning paper, I'm more likely to do that in the dining room or the living room. So for me, the breakfast nook is wasted space and a place to expand our kitchen in the future since it is right next to it.

When we closed out our apartment in the urban jungle, we brought home a small Ikea table that had been given to us by a neighbor who moved out just as we were moving in. Unlike most people, I am not a fan of Ikea because most of their stuff is disposable in nature and this table hasn't held up well over the three years we've owned it. Despite that, we put it in the breakfast nook with the two chairs that came with it since we had nothing else to put there and it seemed easier than carrying it downstairs.

That is the way things stayed until last week. A small table that never got used except as a catch all place for setting stuff when you came inside from the garage. Now we got a china hutch in the breakfast nook (and a nifty red cedar Christmas tree) and the Ikea table is down in the basement. We ended up getting a good deal on a solid oak hutch hand built on a farm about twenty miles south of here. We put our order in soon after moving into this place and it finally was delivered after months of anticipation. I must say it looks good.

So the very next day, I carried up several boxes of china, pottery, glassware, etc. that we had been storing in boxes down in the basement because we had no other place to put them. My wife carefully unpacked most of them and put the things in the hutch. I did the last box which as it turned out, was not the best box. Everything we have unpacked to this day has survived the move and numerous shufflings no worse for the wear. The last box however suffered numerous casualties. Unfortunately those casualties were mostly our pottery stuff given to us as wedding gifts and some really old teacups that came with two tea sets that my wife picked up at an auction years ago.

Fortunately none of the broken stuff were family heirlooms but still, it is a pretty sick feeling to unwrapped your favorite pottery that you have carefully cared for the last eight and a half years and find it in a million pieces. Fortunately I am blessed to have a pretty good relationship with a potter not to far from here, one down in northern Arkansas and even one down in Alabama whose blog is linked in my sidebar. I'm guessing at one of those places I can get those pieces replaced someday.

5 comments:

Vince said...

Is it a part of the main room or is it like a coatroom. If the former, it tends to be 'cause the designs for kitchens changed. Or put it another way. Newer houses are that square footage smaller.

You should dig a little hole in the garden and bury remains. In 700 years time you'll provide hours of work for archaeologists.:-)

Ed said...

Vince - Archaeologists are much more patient than I. I tried to glue one large dutch oven pot together to at least have it to look at since we wouldn't be able to use it anymore. I got part way done and gave up. Too many pieces!

Ed said...

Vince - The picture I took for the previous post is taken from the far wall of the breakfast nook pretty much standing where the hutch now resides.

warren said...

You should do all decorating with milk crates! They are study and won't let you down!

Ed said...

Warren - Can you even buy those anymore? The ones I see at auctions go for top dollar so evidently, lots of people think like you.