Friday, December 7, 2012

Kitchen Cabinets


I finally bit the bullet and started in on the kitchen cabinet project. The cabinets are hand built cabinets that are original to the house. They are solid but very dated without a lot of those features I have grown to love from our last kitchen. The corner cabinets don't have lazy suzans built into them meaning there is a lot of dead space in the corners. The drawers are small. The shelves are built of an old type of particle board that I've never seen before.

But the kitchen has some things going for it that I like. First of all, it is there and they are solidly built. It is well arranged for a small kitchen and I like the fact that I can do things quickly without walking long distances back and forth. Our last modern kitchen wasn't laid out nearly as well and I felt as if I was constantly running back and forth in it. The picture above shows the kitchen before we made an offer on the house and gives you a pretty good idea of what we have.

Long term we had planned on expanding the kitchen a bit but short term, we decided that maybe a fresh coat of paint might be the ticket. The cabinets are all dark stained wood which gives the kitchen a dingy appearance. Lightening up the colors and putting on some new hardware might give it a more modern appearance and perhaps persuade us to move our long term remodel off even further.

At the beginning of the week, we went out and purchased some good quality primer and paint to hold up to constant touching with dirty hands. I removed about a third of the doors, degrimed them and puttied up the holes left by the old hardware. I have then spent the rest of the week priming and painting doors, cabinet face frames and a few odd side panels that were visible. I still probably have another week left of painting but I'm already very happy we are doing this. Already the kitchen feels much lighter and more cheery not to mention new again. Once I get the project finished, I will post some pictures for everyone.

10 comments:

Ron said...

Paint is a wonderful thing!

malor said...

Hi Ed, Your kitchenactually looks fine to me. I painted our bathroom vanity cabinets and it was a pain. But it looks better. I cannot wait for the after pictures. You are very industrious...

Ed said...

Ron - As I paint over more and more old surfaces, the home feels more and more like home instead of a home we recently moved into.

Malor - It looks okay in bright light conditions such as when the picture was taken but when there isn't a lot of light it seems really dingy and dark. The paint really lightens it up and makes it feel totally modern instead of 40 years old. When I get it done, I'll be sure to post a picture.

warren said...

Holy cats that looks nice!

warren said...

Holy cats that looks nice!

roaring40 said...

The design of kitchens are always unsatisfactory. A lot of hoohaa is spoken about triangles and the shortening of the walk lines to east the feet of the 'cook'. The reality is the core placement in the sink at the window as with you. But, nowadays, who the holy hell spends more than seconds standing before that spot. No longer are you hand washing clothes or much of anything else for that matter so why have it in front of the window AND in the middle of the long axis.
The very best and most efficient design is the restaurant galley style. Where things start at one end and move up the line. with everything needed for that process at that spot. So instead of the sink before the window it and the dishwasher would be at the start of the line with the hob grills and oven up the other end.
And if those extending counters must factor, why on earth don't they extend the top over so one can sit in comfort with your legs actually under the thing, not perched as now like a tame budgie sitting threequarters to the meal.
Still that's just me. As to your place. There is nothing other than the hanging lamps that would drive me nutty.
And you are correct the dark wood and the tiny window will give that area a cave like aspect but the reality is we are tracked into those choices by the bones of the design.

Ed said...

Warren - You should have seen my last kitchen!

Vince - My biggest complaint about galley kitchens is when there are two cooks in the house such as my wife and I. You are constantly bumping into each other and dodging doors to dishwashers, ovens and cabinets. I actually like the pendant lights, something I've never had before. They are right above my butcher block surface that I blogged about earlier and really light up the work surface. Since they are directly above the surface where I can't walk, they don't interfere with my forehead which is always a plus!

edifice rex said...

Yes!! Pictures please!! I'm anxious to see what you've done!

Vince said...

Yeah, but, there is no one kitchen no matter how well designed that can solve the dilemma of two cooks.

Ed said...

Edifice Rex - I sure will.

Vince - Well perhaps not all cooks but our last kitchen was perfect for my wife and I getting around. It just wasn't arranged in a good way.