Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Boxes

Last week after explaining for the umpteenth time how we hadn't counted on still having so many boxes in our basement yet unpacked to someone seeing our house for their first time, we finally got motivated to do something about it. So in a day of marathon dedication, we shuffled our boxes around.

Yes we still have boxes, lots of boxes, but at least they make sense now for at least us. My mother-in-law and an aunt and uncle of my wife packed a lot of boxes and though they labeled them, they didn't label everything on the box. So we found a lot of random things we have been looking for tossed in boxes you wouldn't suspect. We got everything found and labeled a bit better so that when we come looking for it we hopefully can find it this time around.

My biggest regret is that before we moved, we didn't rent a dumpster and get rid of a lot of things. (Or at least sort it out and dispose of it in an environmental manner ahead of time) It is not that I have a lot of possessions that I feel the need to just throw/give away but as I have aged, a lot of things in my life have reduced in their value to me. That pool cue I had as a single guy was used a lot and meant a lot to me but I have not used it in over eight years. So we have a large pile in the center of our basement slated for a future garage sale or to be given away when appropriate, probably this spring.

A lot of the boxes of stuff remaining are things we want to keep but just don't yet have a place for. For example, I have around ten boxes of books that just need bookshelves, some extra dishes that just need another cupboard we don't have, a few bottles of wine and scotch that just need a hutch to be placed in. All these things are future projects that just haven't happened yet.

But by far the largest share of our remaining boxes belonged to Little Abbey as toys, supplies and clothes. They now belong to Baby Abbey when she reaches the appropriate age. (Have I said how glad I am to have a second girl instead of a boy who would require a completely different set of cloths and toys?) Once Baby Abbey outgrows those things, they are headed out the door never to return. Perhaps six years from now, I will have everything out of boxes and our remaining but necessary things neatly arranged on the three long shelves that I built earlier.

6 comments:

Ron said...

We have a ton of things around here destined for a garage sale. Whenever we finish a puzzle, book, or movie, or upgrade something that still works, it gets designated for garage sale. In our case, though, we might use the community center in town with a couple of other families. I'd like to get into a routine of having an annual one, like we used to.

Early on, we had temporary shelving here that looked terrible, and I'd get so tired of trying to explain to people that it just wasn't a priority yet. Some people seem to have the notion that you can just wave a magic wand and get it all done at once...

Ed said...

Ron - That or they can wave their wallet and pay someone else to get it done. I'm kind of anal and want things done right the first time which means that even if I have the money, sometimes I just do it myself.

Ron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron said...

Sorry, dup comment.

Yeah, I much prefer to do things myself where possible, and gain the experience.

Murf said...

But doesn't the fact that Baby Abbey was born in the fall and Little Abbey in the spring/summer mean that the clothes won't be seasonally appropriate when they do fit?

Ed said...

Murf - Women are just wired differently from men because that is what my wife keeps saying. I say wait and see or dress her in clothes just a little too big for her.