Monday, October 22, 2012

Keeping My Back In Joint

I swear that just a week or two ago I had a couple weeks worth of blogs all written up in my backlog waiting to be published and now, I have nary a one. Time has a way of going by so fast.

My jointer finally arrived but not without its own worries. I ordered it off the internet with delivery but I got a call from the company telling me that the delivery company they go with provides me three options. I can find a way to get the pallet with 280 lbs of jointer off the semi by myself since the driver is obligated to not help, pick the jointer up at their nearest distribution center where they will load it in my vehicle or pay an additional $34 for liftgate service.

The first option was pretty much off the table since I can't lift 280 lbs from five feet in the air to the ground without severe hurt or perhaps death. I called to see their nearest distribution center but found out it was in our capital city and would cost me much more than $34 in gas not to mention time to go get it. So I pretty much had to pony up the $34 for the lift gate service.

I wasn't completely unaware of this since I had been reading the reviews and many people griped about the extra money. I had no problem with the money since it was a bargain delivered to my door. What worried me was that lots of people complained that the driver simply dropped the crate in the middle of their driveway and left leaving them with a 280 lb obstruction to drive around until they found a way to move it inside. I figured that if this happened I would try hauling it on my two wheel dolly and if that didn't work, simply open up the crate and haul the pieces up to my garage one piece at a time.

Unfortunately, the driver was running late and it was twilight when he finally dropped off my package but fortunately, he wheeled it inside for me on his two wheel dolly. All I had to do was sign for it and wait until the following day to open up and assembly it. Assembly wasn't too bad and took me half a day. The only problem I had was that the cast iron table and cutter assembly was still about a hernia worth of lifting for one person. It has threaded studs on the bottom that dropped into holes in the base so even if I got it up there by myself, there was a good chance I would strip the threads on the studs to where they wouldn't work and that was just no good.

So I called up Dan, my colleague at the Child Behavioral Modification Therapy Institute and he was all too happy to give me a hand, well two hands and his back. Together we had the table assembly set in place and spent the rest of the time until lunch talking. I soon had the jointer up and adjusted and started on the first project I had lined up to justify its purchase. I am building a butcher block for our kitchen countertop. We had one at our last house and loved it and since we have a lot more counter place at this house but no butcher block, I'm making one that will just sit on top. More details on that later.

6 comments:

Ron said...

A jointer would be fun to have. I get by with a jig for the tablesaw, but it's not quite as good as a jointer.

sage said...

Sounds like you're on your way to a wood working shop.

roaring40 said...

I had to look up Jointer. We call it a Planer.
No darn point getting those as Walmart. Even for the person that need one once a year, you really only believe you have a tool. You don't.
While I disagree with you on the buy good always, you'll save in the long run for I feel it depends on how often you use a thing. There are certain items where it is pointless. Small petrol chainsaws unless you are slinging it from your arse while 120ft up in the air have no guts. Far better to get an electric saw. Same here, it would break your heart if you went cheap cheap.
Best of luck with it, you'll have hours of fun plaining the lap boards for the house walls. It will be like painting the Golden Gate. By the time you're finished you'll be starting again.

Ed said...

Ron - I have thought about making one too but I have such a meager table saw that it didn't seem worth the effort. For now until I can really justify it though, I live with my table saw and do the best that I can.

Sage - Someday I would love to have a wood working shop where I can build furniture and things out of wood all day long. It is a passion of mine.

Vince - Actually a jointer is different than a planer. A jointer is set up for the edges of a board and can do rabbit joints. It also allows you to do non-90 degree edges on boards. Mine is a small one so it could plane boards up to six inches in width. A planar, which I also have, only planes the surface of the boards and mine can do widths up to 12 inches. It also does a much better job at planing a board than my jointer because you are using machine pressure to hold the board versus hand pressure you use to plan a board in a jointer.

The biggest reason to buy and use a jointer is to allow you to process rough lumber for fine woodworking projects instead of buying expensive pre-finished boards. It also allows me to laminate smaller boards together without gaps to end up with bigger chunks of wood.

In the end, I'm sure I won't use it as much as I do my chop saw or table saw but when you need one, there isn't a good substitute.

Woody said...

On the list.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I was intrigued that you are at a chld behavior modification place. I thought that you were mostly and engineer.
I have a sixteen by sixteen shop but my tools would be considered wimpy, since I mostly use them for making picture frames, sawing intricated shapes for puppet parts etc. The only man size tool I own is a lathe that will turn a five foot wooden post, or a lot of bowls.